Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:13 pm

DougK wrote:Just installing and dealing with upgrades and incompatibility issues with programs for now- the retina macbook pro is very nice. I did a quick install and setup of the ua system and it was quick and painless (unlike reaktor). Simple and straight forward.
The thunderbolt connection is what is going to really send this thing over the top as it relies on bandwidth....as I understand it. There's allocation control and metering for it. One thing is certain, it really does have a warmer, more detailed sound than the rme fireface 400 sitting next to it. It is apparent immediately when switching back and forth, and the rme is killer itself. No regrets yet... we will have to see if the software vog etc. can stand up to the hardware versions...
Good to know. Yes, they Apollo is not an uncolored recording device. But coming from Universal Audio, who cares. it probably will help your recordings knowing it will make them sound a little different on the way in. I can't stand totally transparent boxes, unless I am mastering. then hell yes I don't want any color.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

DougK
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DougK » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
DougK wrote:
Good to know. Yes, they Apollo is not an uncolored recording device. But coming from Universal Audio, who cares. it probably will help your recordings knowing it will make them sound a little different on the way in. I can't stand totally transparent boxes, unless I am mastering. then hell yes I don't want any color.

Cheers
It's definitely the right kind of color... A few more comments...the pres are touted as clean but once again not clean like the rme, there's a little more dimensionality to them. The unit is big, much deeper than I thought so it's a bit less portable than I was hoping, you will need a 19" deep rack to house the unit properly.
Last for now: wow, the headphone amps sound really good!

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 am

Eagle Super Swinger P-bass copy. Japanese, looks to be 70's vintage. $20 off Craigslist.

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 am

Just had my 1960's McCurdy PE2600 broadcast console re-capped and hot-rodded by Stuart Whitby at Envelope Audio. I've always loved this thing but the direct outs were a bit of a hack job and it needed some love.
Stuart cleaned everything, recapped, added proper line outs for each channel, added input pads and polarity reverse switched for each channel and built be me a transformer box for the direct out. The transformer box uses old McCurdy/Hammond output transformers and has a +6 boost switch. He also wired up the 2 program outputs (which I'd never used).
Beautiful work! I can't wait to put this thing to use over the week-end.[/img]

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Sounds like an awe-inspiring board!

GJ

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:32 pm

It is indeed!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Looks like ya gotta wear a white lab coat for to tape-op that thing!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:17 pm

60's/70's Cameo Deluxe guitar. $30 off Craigslist. Electronics need some love (only the neck pickup is coming through at the moment) and it's missing the wang bar, but the super-thick ultra-V shaped neck, Teisco-y pups and smaller size are already proving themselves fun.

Missed a mid-70's Rogers 4-piece kit last night for a stupid low price. :evil:

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:17 pm

That McCurdy board is SICK. As in 'good' sick.

And nice scores on the stupid cheap vintage bass and guitar. I never see stuff like that. Just loads of crappy new cheap guitars.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Got an AADE L/C meter. Going to be building a passive eq. Already wound the inductors!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm

*FINALLY* got my KMI Quneo from the Kickstarter campaign, which I pledged for back in December 2011!! Was supposed to be fulfilled in March, but they had several component problems and thus delays. I'm certainly appreciative of KMI's commitment to producing a reliable product, but their communication (or lack thereof) was aggravating throughout most of the campaign....weeks would go by and promise dates missed without explanation...etc. Poor PR in my opinion. I don't care so much that you are delivering late, but please let everyone know what's going on so they don't feel like they've been ripped off, that's ALL I ask.

Regardless, despite some questionable design...uh...features (lack of power switch, lack of actual MIDI I/O, lack of LED display), this device looks like exactly what I need to get into my Nord Modular G2 Engine (which lacks a control interface) in a live situation, where regular MIDI controllers haven't been able to do it. I ordered the optional MIDI expander with my Quneo to get it to talk to hardware, which is kind of weird, but maybe I just don't understand because I don't use a computer as my primary instrument. My only concern is what the life expectancy will be of the LEDs, which are kind of important because they are your only visual indicator of what's going on with the faders and rotaries.

Hopefully the long weekend will give me the time to put it through its paces, but for now I only verified its functionality.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:40 am

EasyGo wrote:I'm in the process of buying a Squier Musicmaster Bass from a local shop at a very nice price. Apparently they made the Squier version only in 1996-97. I'm surprised how solid and playable this thing feels, particularly for a Chinese import. I compared it with a newer Squier PBass they also had and the Musicmaster ate it for breakfast. It's almost as nice as my wife's Japanese 1959 Reissue PBass, honestly.
that's funny you mention the Japanese P Bass RI, the Squiers of that era (the "Vista" series, only produced for a couple of years in the late 90's) weren't the cheap knockoff Squiers of the time, but instead built by Fender Japan with decent woods & nice components. I have a Vista Musicmaster Bass also and it kills. Seymour Duncan pickup & everything.
get up with it

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 am

Hit up a Craigslist contact, some yard sales, and a swap meet today.

Craigslist landed me a mid 60's Gibson GA-15RVT (that's a small tube amp w/reverb and tremolo), and a MINTY Kent M20 crystal bullet mic. Amp needs some love but I bought it cheap enough to get it worked on.

Swap meet netted a 10" and 12" tom in need of some cosmetic help, and a decent kick drum pedal for $15 total.

Yard sales netted me nothing, because all your average American family owns these days is an oversized house, an oversized TV, and baby clothes.

LimpyLoo
pluggin' in mics

Post by LimpyLoo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Roland SH-101

Tascam 388

(not bad considering I'm poor :( )

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:07 am

LimpyLoo wrote:Roland SH-101

Tascam 388

(not bad considering I'm poor :( )
I had a blue SH 101 for a couple years...sold it to KMFDM for a tidy profit. Of course, now they are worth even more....which I never really understood...its definitely not worth the eBay value to me...

+1 on 388!