Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Bought a '64 Fender Jaguar...got excited when I pulled out the pots and pick ups and found everything was original...except the finish. It's so patinaed it must be a very old refinish but I should have been more diligent in my inspection. Got it at a good price even for a refin but today the volume and tone pot seized on me (it hadn't been touched in 10 years) so I need to have it cleaned up
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:34 pm

kslight wrote:Well, now I've done it.

I was actually just looking at those the other day - I'm really curious about how yours plays.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:56 pm

wren wrote:
kslight wrote:Well, now I've done it.

I was actually just looking at those the other day - I'm really curious about how yours plays.
I've been looking at these forever?since they started with 8 string versions, then the multiscale 8s?and well those are a little much money for an impulse buy AND I don't know if I even want or am even capable of handling 8 strings?I don't really need 7 strings either?but it was $130 cheaper to buy the 7 string version versus the 6 string?go figure.

They are on a very good sale this weekend, so I couldn't resist?maybe the 7 string model isn't popular..? I hope to tune it down to G#, using the 8 string set of acoustic strings they also sell, and lose the extra high string. I probably would have liked to see a 28.5" to 25.5" fan instead of the 27"?but I'll see, I mean people tune the 8 string version lower than what I want and that's the same scale length/gauge so I'm hopeful that this will be acceptable?

I'm kind of a baritone guitar nerd?bass VI is one of my favorite axes...

I've never owned a multiscale, but I've bought several guitars from Rondo Music over the years, and?well one guitar I've bought had some design flaws I couldn't get over that made me end up selling it, but the others have been pretty decent for the money.

Will definitely post back when I get it?I imagine it won't be until the end of the week though since I'm in the midwest.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:22 am

This showed up today?

First 5 minute impressions?

Easily the nicest feeling guitar I've bought from Rondo (Bought 4 others over the course of 15 or so years), very playable out of the box.

7 string multiscale and very thin neck = very comfortable and natural even though I have small hands?this was my worry with an 8 string. Don't even have to think about the fan, it just fits your hand. This is the first multiscale I've ever touched, so no basis for comparison?other than it looks a lot weirder than it actually feels. I would definitely consider another multiscale, maybe a bass, in the future.

97% free of defects, one very very small clear coat deviation on the back side?could probably be buffed out with super fine sand paper if I cared, but I don't. Its like just a difference in glossiness. On both sides where the fretboard joins the body there are also some flaws?nothing crazy just an observation.

Sunburst is a little weird in the front bisecting the guitar and with a few "lines" going the same direction? The photos on the website appear to be color corrected to minimize this effect, but judging from those photos and other owner photos I don't think I could expect any better. Not a huge deal, especially considering the $, but if I was going to pick anything to be slightly disappointed by, this would be it. If I paid $3000 for it I would probably exchange it, but I didn't so I won't. My cheesy cell phone photo and poor lighting makes it look worse than it is, but it is there, not a shadow.

I like the smooth matte finish they use on these versus the super glossy stuff, feels nice.

Binding and ornamentation?cheap and cheesy, but I don't really care about that stuff.

Headstock/tuners/bridge/nut/fretboard/frets seem solid. Agile logo not offensive. I think I may end up needing to slightly file the nut to accommodate slightly heavier strings?but this is preferable to other Rondo Music guitars I have received in the past, where the nut has been OVER-filed and un-usable. I'm not entirely sure if I'll even need to do it like that, Honestly, I might even be able to get away with my intended tuning without going up in gauge.

Intonation is tough to tell how far off it is, with the onboard electronics, as mentioned below?its not perfect of course...but I'm not concerned about it, will be setup properly soon.

Onboard electronics?I'm not in love with the tuner itself, I mean it flashes green when you're in tune, but how many cents flat/sharp you are is vague?you are simply flat, sharp (in 1/3 increments for each), or in tune. Battery dead out of the box. Not a big deal, I have a couple dozen 9v batteries sitting around. I didn't plug in the guitar, because I generally don't care for the plugged in sound of an acoustic?I only bought the model with electronics for the tuner?and it was cheaper to get it with than without. I guess I'm more used to a strobe.

The case it ships with is nice, however it could stand to be .25" longer IMHO because if it was any tighter I don't think it'd fit at all, it literally digs all the way into the padding to the edge of the case... it is very tight and I have a feeling that over time the headstock will wear just from removing and placing it back in the case.

Down to the sound?I'm no acoustic guitar professional, and have never owned a "good" acoustic to compare it to (my only other acoustic is an old Supro S700)... but it sounds balanced and projecting for my purposes?even the low string?no complaints.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Recently got a DOD FX25 Envelope Filter and a Visual Sound Oil Can Phaser, both useful pedals.

And a BBE Soul-Vibe - fun.

Also bought in the last cuppla monthes (and alla this is used and relatively cheap offa the E-bog where I have sniped many times for these) the EHX Nano Delay - very cool and can be lo-fiish with the modulation switch.

Finally, pedal-wise, I did a SDOTD buy on the Modtone Delay.

I'm thinkin' I need a better tremelo pedal than the TR2, and I want the Neo Nano Grail also.

Double-secret probation finally, I bought a Blue Kickball from Corey Y, what now gives me a set with my 8-Ball and a Blueball. I don't own any USB mic's but may just have to pick up a Snowball to satisfry my OCDnessosity. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:33 pm

1974 Allen & Heath Mod2 all discrete 16 channel console
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Wow! That's beautiful!

And i'm all excited because i have a wren and cuff mercy phuck on the way. :oops:

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:42 pm

vvv wrote: I'm thinkin' I need a better tremelo pedal than the TR2, and I want the Neo Nano Grail also.
I dunno if this is relevant, but i'm kind of a trem nerd/afficiondo. My favorite trem ever is the goatkeeper. But i also have a dano cool cat trem and it's very nice. Simple but sounds good to my ears.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:49 am

EHX did this cool thing with the Memory Toy, where they have a switch for "modulation" what kinda lo-fies and slightly randomizes the effect.

That's what I want inna tremolo. Mebbe the EHX Stereo Pulsar Tremolo?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:38 am

It's expensive, but the chase bliss gravitas has a "harmonic" mode where the LFO modulates the tone of the pulse and does a sort of lo-fi thing. Seems interesting. I don't think the pulsar has anything like that?

I wouldn't mind trying out the zxev sonar. That resettable ramp up or down in speed seems really interesting.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:30 pm

I spent a cuppla late-nite minutes early this AM checking out the Uchoob for such pedals. What I kinda want is like a combo between a really light vibrato pedal timed perfectly with a Tremolo.

What I found is a chorus into the tremolo might do it ...

On the new gear front, got me a Dean fretless A/E last week:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Injured Ear » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:07 pm

I just seem to keep buying plugins and software updates.
Latest plugin purchases:
Izotope RX2->RX4 Upgrade
Waves Gold WUP to upgrade to V9 (free V3, V4 EQ/Comp & Vitamin with the upgrade!)
Altiverb 6-> 7 upgrade
Klanghelm MUJIC compressor (cheap!)
Slate Trigger, SSD4
Soundtoys Little Microshift->Microshift upgrade
Massenburg MDW EQ V1->V5 upgrade

Hardware:
Ordered a used Fender Rumble V3 200 watt bass amp from GC but then it got backordered. Considering just ponying up for a new one instead of searching through their used inventory. 200 watts at 36 pounds!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:08 pm

I bought a used Ampeg PF500 last year and couldn't be happier with it for a live bass head, 300 w. at 8 ohms, 500 at 4, weighs 11 lbs, paid around US$230 ....
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am

blungo2 wrote:Wow! That's beautiful!

And i'm all excited because i have a wren and cuff mercy phuck on the way. :oops:
Been considering one for a while now. Please post your thoughts!
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:39 pm

Some new RCA cables...

:lol:

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "