Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:20 pm

Wren and Cuff had (and currently have again) a "mystery pedal" on sale.

I bought one and received a "small foot Caprid" which is a very cool variant of a Rams Head Muff. This one has an optional switch that someone said id the "mids mod", altho' I think it's the "cream mod". In any event, it's really good - a full-blown sustainy fuzz muff that retains it's clarity. The mod, to me is a little less fuzzy, louder and more mid-rangey. Totally worthy and the price is right.

I also got a Fender CC60SCE because it was the stoopid deal, and I need an acoustic with a pup because for live, and also sometimes that quack is what ya want. This has a inexpensive Fishman innit that actually sounds cool through a clean Fender amp. It's kinda a not-deep body but solid spruce top and mahogany sides - it sounds not so good acoustically but will work well inna recording mix as it's bright and mids forward with little bottom; I'm thinking I'll mic it and use the pup, either stacked or to split and stereo effect. Still $90 off at MF.

Top o' da page atcha's!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:00 pm

Micromoog!

This is the third one I've owned. When I had my second one, I swore I'd never sell it, but I ended up selling loads of gear when I moved back to California from Berlin. Anyway, I've just always had such a fondness for this little synth. It does squishy/gooey quite well, and is a sexy bass synth. Once in a while I plug this or that into the audio input, as the filter can do a number of pleasantly untoward things.

I've become increasingly practical in my gear purchases, but the Micromoog was all about WANT.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 pm

Antler23 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:00 pm
Micromoog!
Micromoog was my first analog synth, & I still have it all these years later. It has some great modulation options, & despite its seeming simplicity is actually a rather versatile synth.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:28 pm

Antler23 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:00 pm
Micromoog!

This is the third one I've owned. When I had my second one, I swore I'd never sell it, but I ended up selling loads of gear when I moved back to California from Berlin. Anyway, I've just always had such a fondness for this little synth. It does squishy/gooey quite well, and is a sexy bass synth. Once in a while I plug this or that into the audio input, as the filter can do a number of pleasantly untoward things.

I've become increasingly practical in my gear purchases, but the Micromoog was all about WANT.

Nice. I ended up getting one for “free” with a Polymoog I bought, restored it, and gave it to my writing partner at the time for his bday.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:02 am

I'm not sure if I posted this, but a few months ago I bought a pair of Muro Acoustics AC7 SDCs and I quite like them. I've been using them a lot of overheads, and I really enjoy the imaging. Recently they sounded quite nice on acoustic guitar as well.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:35 pm

So I bought a Blackstar HT20, because I'm an idjit but it was a great price, from some pawn shop.

And they shipped it UPS (guy later said he hates 'em cuz they're rough on packages - he actually said that!) and it arrived damaged.

Someone was pretty clearly careless and dropped the box, likely on the edge of the trailer floor judging by the box damage.

Cracked out a "V" shaped piec at one screw holding the head in the box and bent the reverb knob shaft and broke the knob.

Seller offered 1/3 off the price but it's more to fix it (it won't look right but can be made functionally good) and anyway the damn thing is relatively heavy - like 35 lbs. He won't go lower cuz he said he'll make more dosh putting in the claim.

Sounds good, tho' not channel-switching and came with no foot switch for the boost.

Also, I already have a Soloist 60.

Soon, I hope put this in the Latest gear you've unacquired..... thread
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:36 am

People know the carelessness with which UPS treat the packages they're entrusted with; so why do they still use them?
WWRHS?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:10 am

Mark wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:36 am
People know the carelessness with which UPS treat the packages they're entrusted with; so why do they still use them?

Eh I think UPS is the best of them. The problem is people put the blame on the courier when they need to just pack shit correctly.

I would let the seller try to make a claim, I bet he gets denied.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:53 am

kslight wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:10 am
The problem is people put the blame on the courier when they need to just pack shit correctly.
I would agree that proper packaging is almost always the problem. Even if UPS or Fedex or USPS or whoever drops/throws item (on purpose or accidentally), you have to package it to withstand the chance that it happens. You can't just write "fragile" on it (that might even make it worse).
A lot of people will pack something heavy with a bunch of Styrofoam peanuts around it and that is the worst thing to do. With a heavy item, you want some padding around it (a couple layers of bubble wrap maybe) but then you want a tight fitting box. Any room to move around just means that item will likely get damaged (think of the crash dummies in the car when the car hits the brick wall - that is what happens in the box). I'm not a packaging engineer, but I've seen properly engineered shipping vs. not. I've received enough damaged items myself and it's always been improper (lazy) packaging. And sometimes you get a microphone shipped in a bubble wrap mailer and somehow you just get lucky.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:22 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:53 am
kslight wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:10 am
The problem is people put the blame on the courier when they need to just pack shit correctly.
I would agree that proper packaging is almost always the problem. Even if UPS or Fedex or USPS or whoever drops/throws item (on purpose or accidentally), you have to package it to withstand the chance that it happens. You can't just write "fragile" on it (that might even make it worse).
A lot of people will pack something heavy with a bunch of Styrofoam peanuts around it and that is the worst thing to do. With a heavy item, you want some padding around it (a couple layers of bubble wrap maybe) but then you want a tight fitting box. Any room to move around just means that item will likely get damaged (think of the crash dummies in the car when the car hits the brick wall - that is what happens in the box). I'm not a packaging engineer, but I've seen properly engineered shipping vs. not. I've received enough damaged items myself and it's always been improper (lazy) packaging. And sometimes you get a microphone shipped in a bubble wrap mailer and somehow you just get lucky.
100%. You’re not paying for white glove service. It’s going through multiple sorting facilities and trucks, heavier things will get stacked on top of it, it’ll get rough housed through conveyers, etc… I pack things assuming it’s gonna fall off the back of the truck. That means - pack the item with enough padding that there is no movement. Then do that again, inside another box. You’re unlikely to have a problem.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:46 am

also Mark i think you are UK based but UPS and USPS are Union, whereas Fedex is private. I have found USPS to be the best for domestic some shipments, and anything large (guitar/amp/cab/studio rack gear) UPS is the best. Fedex is always the most expensive (see private) and aren't worth the extra expense. to me i would rather give to UPS whom i know the money is going to employees, rather than Fedex where it's lining executives pockets.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:10 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:46 am
also Mark i think you are UK based but UPS and USPS are Union, whereas Fedex is private. I have found USPS to be the best for domestic some shipments, and anything large (guitar/amp/cab/studio rack gear) UPS is the best. Fedex is always the most expensive (see private) and aren't worth the extra expense. to me i would rather give to UPS whom i know the money is going to employees, rather than Fedex where it's lining executives pockets.
I just shipped a bass (in a somewhat oversized box, to account for odd shape and packing material) yesterday, total insured and signature required + “reverb protected” rate through Reverb was ~$90 going UPS ground. Not only the best option in my experience but also the cheapest compared to USPS and FedEx. I don’t even trust USPS with my junk mail, and I have had FedEx lose high $ items.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:10 pm

We send and receive a lot of packages at work, and UPS is generally considered better than FedEx. USPS Priority Mail is pretty solid and quick, too.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:15 pm

It's going to be a month or two before I actually *have* it, but last night I bought a new neck for my trusty old 1969-ish P-bass. Warmoth, since everybody told me that bass deserves a really good neck (the old one has never been quite straight and nobody's been able to fix it). Weirdly enough the original neck measures more like a Jazz neck than Precision, though. Or I'm an idiot, which is equally possible.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:15 pm

And it all depends on the individuals packing the truck as well as making the deliveries. In my neighborhood, the FedEx drivers are fucking horrible. I've had drivers leave a case (1,000 cartridges) of ammo on my curb!!, TWICE, when they're supposed to bring it to the door for signature. With the package theft around here, I'm lucky it wasn't grabbed, although it's a heavy package! They also miss-deliver our cat food (CHEWY delivery) regularly and I have a neighbor bring it over, or I get a neighbor's CHEWY box (pet food) and have to walk it a few blocks to give to them. They'll also leave other packages, besides heavy ammo, basically on the curb/street, in the rain, instead of walking it up 50 ft to our covered car port, or 30 feet to our front porch (we live on a corner, so there's easy street access in two places). We ordered a portable A/C last year and it never showed up although it was "delivered", so someone got a free $600 A/C unit (the company delivered another one to us). Yet, some places, FedEx is the service they use. I was happy to see that Sweetwater (who normally uses FedEx) had switched UPS when i ordered some gear just last week. I didn't received a FedEx delivered sweetwater package a couple of years ago and had to go through that pain in the ass process of getting my order re-sent. Our UPS drivers are much more responsible, friendly, bring stuff to the door. Actually KNOCK and WAIT for you to get to the door before leaving a "missed you, better luck next time" note and take off like FedEx does.

I had to ask the USPS guy to stop throwing records we bought, and to bring them to the door. After him frisbee'ing a few pieces of vinyl and having them break, he's gotten a lot better after that.
markjazzbassist wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:46 am
Yep. I alway prefer to go with a union.