Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:40 am

I just bought a couple of those recently-reviewed Monoprice headphones and I have to say I agree with the review 100%: not as good for critical listening as my nicer headphones, but music's more fun to listen to on them and they'd still be a fair deal if they cost $100. They sound great and they seem to be built well. They have really good isolation too.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:44 pm

After playing a ton of kits, I picked up a four piece DW Performance series drum set a few weeks ago. Wow, they seriously sound great. They are pretty much exactly what I was looking for sound wise to offset my current yamaha/ludwig set. I am actually picking up a few more toms this week to have more options even though I play a four piece kit about 95% of the time.

Also picked up a used DW 5000 series double pedal and have been working on double bass a ton, mainly doing some Derek Roddy exercises and working through some (very) old modern drummer magazine double bass stuff. I have never played double bass and never really had a need too (still don't), but its nice being between bands and having time to woodshed on drums again.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Miktek C7 large diaphragm condenser three pattern FET mic. Not here yet...can't wait to get it home.
Aphex 207D stereo tube pre. Price was right and the digital out gives me more mics at once.
Yay.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 pm

dsw wrote:Miktek C7 large diaphragm condenser three pattern FET mic. Not here yet...can't wait to get it home.
I'm really interested to hear more about this mic. definitely on my radar, just never had a chance to try one in person. once I get the funds together...it's either a c7, Mohave 301, or a Lauten audio clarion. please post some samples!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:38 pm

wren wrote:I just bought a couple of those recently-reviewed Monoprice headphones and I have to say I agree with the review 100%: not as good for critical listening as my nicer headphones, but music's more fun to listen to on them and they'd still be a fair deal if they cost $100. They sound great and they seem to be built well. They have really good isolation too.
I did the same thing. The timing of that review was perfect. I had a few headphones burnout on me recently and needed some new ones. They sound great!

sonic dogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonic dogg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Recent gear gnoshes include GT ViPre, Phoenix DRS-Q4, Summit DCL200, Gibson SG and a Toft ATB 8. Other stuff too.....
Owner/ dishwasher @ Drool'nDoggRecords

Artist psycho-therapist/Priest

Wonderin where the lions are....

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:15 pm

I been lookin' for a ViPre I can afford (prob'ly never).

I have the Summit 2BA-221 and it's a wonderful pre, so clean if ya want, or not if ya ain't; how's the 'pressor?

(I also want a LA610, mebbe a VMP2, a Sebatron, some Chandler and Chameleon and ...)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:42 am

Very pleased to announce installation of a hardware MANLEY Massive Passive EQ.. great equalizer in every way:

SafeandSound Mastering
High end, low cost audio mastering

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:55 am

Now in situ...

SafeandSound Mastering
Online mastering services

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 pm

On the playing side of things: Korg Z1 physical modeling synth.

Overpaid a little to get a clean one with the extra card, but so far it's been totally worth it. Always nice when a new instrument triggers new songs and brings old ones back to life . . .

Slightly OT, completed the switch from Sonar/Ableton to Cubase. FEELS like getting new gear -- lots of options, lots to learn. I'm liking the results.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Some different kinds of guitar picks to try. I've been using Dunlop ultex jazz iiis and the thickest tortex ones?I like the sound of the jazz iiis, but they slip when I'm tremolo picking for a long time, and the tortex ones feel kind of flimsy. Maybe the 2mm ultex sharp picks will be what I need...

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Picked up a Crucial M4 128SSD and win 7 for the used T61 Lenovo I bought for a mobile rig/business machine. What a difference over a 7200 Sata and XP pro.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 am

1954 Rogers "Champion" branded snare. 6 floating lugs and two calfskin heads. $5 at a yard sale on the way back from church. Very excited as my only snares right now are modern metal ones and I've really been wanting something with an older, warmer sound.

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:15 am

Got an Apollo Quad w the Thunderbolt card for my home rig. Ironing out some kinks and only using it w firewire right now (new iMac 27" coming in Dec).
Quick observation is mighty positive compared to my Digi M-Box Pro 2.
Really excited.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 am

Hey Smitty,

Careful with those calfskins. Try to keep them in a relatively temperature-regulated environment, or you could get a lot more "warm" snap, crackle, and pop than you might hope for...

GJ