Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 am

kslight wrote:Awaiting arrival of...
Line 6 JTV89 Variax

+ strap locks + Reason 7 upgrade
Nice. I hope you like it. I've had a Variax since the 700 came out about 10 years ago. They have served me well. I bought a JTV69s about a year ago and its a nice guitar. Once I got used to the versatility, its very hard to go back to a "normal" guitar unless I had an unlimited budget and a roadie handing me a different guitar for each song!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 am

Not acquired recently, but one of the last things I appropriated were a couple of Telefunken M80 microphones. They were a pleasant surprise as they have become a permanent part of my carry around tool box of problem solvers. I have used them in everything from podium mics at events i was videotaping to replacing a home recordists cheap Chinese condenser. There are more highly suggested mics out there for PA, but I have found these to be superior performers for many applications. If nothing else, they have been a wonderful alternative to the usual Shure 57/58 in similar applications...d
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 am

Just picked up a Square State Solid State EQ from a fellow tapeopper on here. I'm excited to have something non-console, non-plugin to shape important tones with (key guitar tracks, snare, vocals maybe we'll see). If it integrates well with my hybrid workflow I might eventually add some other eq flavors into the rack.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 am

Just another shout-out to my new tape deck, which looks like it will be fully functional after all:

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photo ... el_web.jpg

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 am

dino wrote:Not acquired recently, but one of the last things I appropriated were a couple of Telefunken M80 microphones. They were a pleasant surprise as they have become a permanent part of my carry around tool box of problem solvers. I have used them in everything from podium mics at events i was videotaping to replacing a home recordists cheap Chinese condenser. There are more highly suggested mics out there for PA, but I have found these to be superior performers for many applications. If nothing else, they have been a wonderful alternative to the usual Shure 57/58 in similar applications...d
Bought one, then bought another. Mighty fine sounding microphone. We've been using one each on vocal and acoustic guitar for the singer guy playing and singing at the same time. A really good dynamic is a great sound.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Output expander for Ensoniq EPS

waiting for Output expander for Ensoniq ASR10

And just got shipment notification of my Line 6 JTV89...should be fun next week

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Speaking of good dynamics: I now have a grand total of 3 Beyerdynamic M420's after picking up a pair for next-to-nothing on ebay. I already know I love them on tabla and toms and I'm curious about snare - haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Just a quick check in now that my Cascade Gomez has been built, shipped, received and put to work. It's awesome!

I was working with a Fathead on loan for about 6 months, and this takes what's cool about that mic and improves it. It's still rich and soft on the high frequencies, but way more articulate than the fathead. Sounded really cool as a mono overhead on some jazz drums, also good on a Blues Jr. about 8" from the grill cloth, and also did a nice job on glockenspiel without some of the harshness on the attack that my SDC's get on glock.

Cool mic!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:54 am

A very well-maintained and high-functioning Teac A3340s 4-track Reel-to-Reel deck, with remote and lots of accessories; wait for it, wait for it... $50.

I'm jazzed, to say the least.

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 pm

vxboogie wrote:
kslight wrote:Awaiting arrival of...
Line 6 JTV89 Variax

+ strap locks + Reason 7 upgrade
Nice. I hope you like it. I've had a Variax since the 700 came out about 10 years ago. They have served me well. I bought a JTV69s about a year ago and its a nice guitar. Once I got used to the versatility, its very hard to go back to a "normal" guitar unless I had an unlimited budget and a roadie handing me a different guitar for each song!
Finally got it mid-last week...and I do like it. Everything I hoped it could be. Monkeying around in Variax Workbench is a blast. Trying to make myself a believable bass VI profile (I play Bass VI a lot..), at least to recreate the timbre of the upper register on the heavy strings... Looks maybe a little bit "metal" for my tastes, but I can live with it.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 am

Gregg, that's AWESOME. I've got a pair of 40-4 decks; same transport looks like, but fewer features.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Found one of these at a government surplus auction. It was a later model, one with the modular confabulation bypass circuitry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xO ... r_embedded
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:23 pm

:lol:

Just rec'd another EV 664, nicer than the one I worked on, used it onna BV already (avail. at mixoff.org, actually, here.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:18 am

Awaiting the arrival of a vintage Calrad hi-z mike, and another ART preamp (TubeMP with VU meter this time!).

GJ

PS-- JJ, I've spun some BS in my time, but that guy was amazing...
Gregg Juke

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:24 am

Judas Jetski wrote:Found one of these at a government surplus auction. It was a later model, one with the modular confabulation bypass circuitry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xO ... r_embedded
Sure makes it a lot easier to synchronize your cardinal grammeters