Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 am

So?

How's it sound?

(Noting that I am once more at the top of the page.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:19 am

Can’t upload a potato photo because the board quota has been reached..but got a Friedman JJjr head…pretty neat. I’m just recording it direct but this is an amp that sounds great even without pedals (says the guy with like 40 pedals).

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:16 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:30 pm
Finally got the console of my dreams. — some assembly was required.

Awesome! More impressed with the seventeen foot keyboard to the rightt there. Keying commands would be like playing Twister..
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:42 pm

Fredenstein Bento 8- a 500 chassis.

I've been wanting to expand my 500 series stuff so here's a big rack of empty spaces. I'm thinking Empirical Labs de esser and then maybe some Purple eqs but it takes me so long to afford new gear (and I'm poised to buy a new compressor this month) that I have months, probably years to change my mind.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:18 am

be careful. Empty Slot Syndrome can cause a lot of pressure on one's self. :mrgreen:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:13 am

1930's Oscar Schmidt Stella. It's still got the stickers on the fret board from when it was originally sold as a Hawaiian guitar. I've been buying up old beaters to practice my repair skills. Usually Harmonys and Uniteds. Basically anything cheap that I might like to keep when the repairs are done. This purchase is in the same vein. It's pricier than I'd usually do and likely needs more work than ones I've practiced on so far. Looks super cool though.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:49 am

^^^^ Beautiful top on that thing!

My latest very exciting purchase: a bunch of 1' power cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:13 am

kslight wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:19 am
Can’t upload a potato photo because the board quota has been reached..
Go to your profile page, attachments, delete the previous ...

We wanna see the Friedman!

Also, don't feel bad about the 40 pedals - I am sure that with enuff effort you might could catch up to me. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:57 am

Vintage Vibe replacement amp card for my Wurlitzer 200. Black Friday online sale, finally caved.

Wow! Takes a bit of work to install, especially drilling a hole for the optional effect loop jack. But it sounds great, very quiet. In fact I ended having to do a little voicing work because the uneven notes were about the only problem left.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:16 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:13 am

1930's Oscar Schmidt Stella. It's still got the stickers on the fret board from when it was originally sold as a Hawaiian guitar. I've been buying up old beaters to practice my repair skills. Usually Harmonys and Uniteds. Basically anything cheap that I might like to keep when the repairs are done. This purchase is in the same vein. It's pricier than I'd usually do and likely needs more work than ones I've practiced on so far. Looks super cool though.
A Major low bass, it says here. https://www.hawaiiansteel.com/tunings/master.php

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:32 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:13 am
kslight wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:19 am
Can’t upload a potato photo because the board quota has been reached..
Go to your profile page, attachments, delete the previous ...

We wanna see the Friedman!

Also, don't feel bad about the 40 pedals - I am sure that with enuff effort you might could catch up to me. :twisted:
80464E58-080F-4592-A4E5-0F273086F1F4.jpeg
80464E58-080F-4592-A4E5-0F273086F1F4.jpeg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
I had one whole photo in my account…then had to compres this into a potato photo…

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:48 pm

I used to go see a buddy's band back before the plague and his co-guitarist played one of 'em - don't know the model but it was plexi-sounding into a 4x12 (some custom job). He ran a OCD into it, switched between a Strat and a Les Paul.

He was a DDS, I think ...

And damn did that amp sound good.

EDIT:
To add to that story, he replaced a guitarist played pointy things into a Triple rectumfriar; that guy had the worse sound I ever heard, gaining up the pre 100% with the master at like 9:00 - it was ice-pick city.

And I love those Triples, Otis Rush played those Triples, and he was not no Otis Rush.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:23 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:48 pm
I used to go see a buddy's band back before the plague and his co-guitarist played one of 'em - don't know the model but it was plexi-sounding into a 4x12 (some custom job). He ran a OCD into it, switched between a Strat and a Les Paul.

He was a DDS, I think ...

And damn did that amp sound good.

EDIT:
To add to that story, he replaced a guitarist played pointy things into a Triple rectumfriar; that guy had the worse sound I ever heard, gaining up the pre 100% with the master at like 9:00 - it was ice-pick city.

And I love those Triples, Otis Rush played those Triples, and he was not no Otis Rush.

I like that it is simple to dial in, it is all sweet spot. I think the only thing you could do to make it sound less good is dime the presence control, and even that isn’t as bad as most. Some may find it a touch on the dark side on the clean channel, but I guess it depends on what you plug into it, and easily remedied.

I have had a Mesa DC10 in my possession but I always found it too tweaky and always second guessed whether I pulled the best tones out of it. When the previous owner offered to buy it back I let him.

I’ve sometimes recorded Rectumfriers in the studio and they don’t ever work, at least the way that the player has them set up….and we will spend a day going back and forth (especially while we agree on something then as the day goes on the player tweaks it or plugs in a different guitar or the amp shifts tone) trying to make it sound acceptable / a good match to the other guitar player’s 5150 or whatever… before ultimately scrapping it and doing something else. I’m sure there must be some secret trick the real engineers use to make them sound good, but I haven’t unlocked it…and there’s just too much fooling…I don’t like to be the guy that changes the player’s sound, but they also complain when their big money amp has no balls and sounds like angry bees.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:30 am

I've never enjoyed amps with "options" The only real options should be louder/quieter (tied to clean/dirty), and brighter/darker. I won't complain if there's reverb and trem but those seem like frills. I've always felt that the more knobs an amp has the worse it will sound.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:10 pm

I'm like that with effects, and even axes, m'self, most of the time.

There's something to be said with limiting options - or at least tweakage - to get moving forward.

On the other hand, the Vox Nightrain - a Chinese-made amp - has two channels with a boost on each, and can go from "Class A" Vox to Fender to Marshall. Two other amps I have that can do that are the Ampeg V60 (Fender to Marshall to Boogie) and the two Tech21 Trademarks (everything). They are all great amps.

But there's something about plugging in the Fender Pro Jr. (my most used amp), or the HRDX or even my Marshall, Orange or Boogie stuff that do their one thing so well ... Perhaps because you plug in and it does that immediately.

My fave guitars are Tele styles, my fave pedals are OD's or Muffs - sompin' said for simple for sho'.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.