Post by shedshrine » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Hope you enjoy it. It's a nice mic.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by alexdingley » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:22 am

shedshrine wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:37 pm
What mic pre on Picard's Flute/previous Deep Cuts?
Wow, thanks for asking/listening to the track. Question: did you think the vocal sound on Picard’s Flute was good? That vocal was tracked through my Toft ATB16 (mic was a Miktek CV4)

So far I haven’t had the chance to pop the Miktek into the Shelford yet, but I’m excited to.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:52 am

alexdingley wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:22 am
shedshrine wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:37 pm
What mic pre on Picard's Flute/previous Deep Cuts?
Wow, thanks for asking/listening to the track. Question: did you think the vocal sound on Picard’s Flute was good? That vocal was tracked through my Toft ATB16 (mic was a Miktek CV4)

So far I haven’t had the chance to pop the Miktek into the Shelford yet, but I’m excited to.
You’ve got a great voice. And guitar playing sounds definitely influenced by Gilmour.. But yeah, the vocals sounded good to me. You said the Sheffeld was making your voice sound better than it ever had. No matter what we are using, we give it our all in the take, in the track. To have a mic/pre pick up more of the nuance is always awesome. What was that big hit for Floyd when Waters left and Gilmour was the main vocalist. His voice just kind of rips out of the darkness and is surreally present. I hope the Sheffield gives you that. 😊

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:58 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:52 am
You’ve got a great voice. And guitar playing sounds definitely influenced by Gilmour.. But yeah, the vocals sounded good to me....

...What was that big hit for Floyd when Waters left and Gilmour was the main vocalist. His voice just kind of rips out of the darkness and is surreally present. I hope the Sheffield gives you that. 😊
Thanks much! And My guitarist (who's not on this MB) will greatly appreciate the comparison. As for that post-Waters track... I wonder if you mean "On the Turning Away". That's a tune I really love, in which the vocal just jumps out of the dark synth pads.

Enjoy your new studio digs! I'm enjoying watching the build-out... and I'm a couple of years away from renovating my garage into a studio space too.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Finally bought an EV RE20. Total impulse buy, but I've wanted one for a long time and got a decent deal on a factory repack.

Also bought an Undertone Audio Vari-Cap cable. Pricey for a cable, yes, but I just did an A-B comparison with 4 different TS cables which I use regularly in my studio and was blown away by how different they sound from one another. The Vari-Cap can pretty much sound like any of them.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:22 pm

floid wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 pm
Just got an Alice in the mail.
Excellent, glad to hear it showed up.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:49 am

I got my late buddy Lou Whitney's Vocal Stresser.
Super excited about it. Loved using it at his place in Springfield, MO.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 am

Colorblind wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm
Finally bought an EV RE20. Total impulse buy, but I've wanted one for a long time and got a decent deal on a factory repack.
My go-to mic. Used it for everything from drum area mic to piano to guitar to vox (duh), amp mic'ing, field recording....

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Picked up some cheap soundproofing off of the craigslist. A couple of 2 by 4 wall panels plus a funky homemade bass trap for $50. Makes a big difference in my current space.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:33 pm

Dr. Green OctaDose octave pedal. I like the envelope version better; this is about one sound with variations of intensity and blend.

I suspect it will be great for live playing, as it never sounds extreme, and always sounds good with excellent accuracy (no glitches).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:37 pm

Colorblind wrote:
I always wanted one but did end up with an RE320, which is more or less a transformerless version. I like it a lot on floor tom, and it is good on bass and vox. I often pair it with the Senn MD421 II, which is to the 421 as the 320 is to the 20.

I typically limit myself to used gear, and used RE20's seem to often have issues ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 pm

vvv wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:37 pm
Colorblind wrote:
I always wanted one but did end up with an RE320, which is more or less a transformerless version. I like it a lot on floor tom, and it is good on bass and vox. I often pair it with the Senn MD421 II, which is to the 421 as the 320 is to the 20.

I typically limit myself to used gear, and used RE20's seem to often have issues ...
I broke down and bought one last year after discovering that it's pretty much the only mic that doesn't make me hate my voice. It does a wonderful job of handling all my sibilance while still sounding present.
I know I should be trying it out everywhere but it lives on vocals. Maybe I need a second one.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Early 70's Ventura Electric Guitar. It's a MIJ lawsuit copy of the Epiphone Al Caiola model. It's a 335 that's sealed and fully hollow (no f holes). 2 humbuckers, vol and vol for the pickups, 4 switches. 2 for each pickup on/off. then 2 for tone on/off for each pickup. it's basically tone on full or fully off. wonderful walnut finish, it plays and sounds amazing, very cheap too. time to sell my 78 musicmaster

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:30 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 pm

I broke down and bought one last year after discovering that it's pretty much the only mic that doesn't make me hate my voice. It does a wonderful job of handling all my sibilance while still sounding present.
I know I should be trying it out everywhere but it lives on vocals. Maybe I need a second one.
That’s encouraging, and relatable. I’ve yet to find a mic that fits the bill for my voice. Could this be it? After using a friend’s on a kick drum I was sold. Can’t wait to try it on everything.