Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by losthighway » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:23 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:17 pm
Songs 1 & 3 have the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret II DI'd.
Somehow that pedal became my go-to for vocal and snare distortion. It just kind of breaks up right and has a nice gradual transition from barely overdriven to tons of distortion when I send it signal from the reamp box and crank the overdrive, and the input level.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:10 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:17 pm
Catalinbread Fuzz Engine.

I'm getting into this line of pedals; they remind somewhat of Zvex in that they have some extreme possibilities, but they don't have "company sound".

IOW, I think Zvex distortions are pretty identifiable as Zvex, whereas the Catalinbread pedals I have (2) are distinctly different.

This one, well, turn the fuzz up past noon and it self-oscillates like nothing I've heard.

It's on the lead guitar (jazzmaster clone into a Tiny Terror with a 1x8" Jet City cab) here (you can hear some oscillation at the very end).

Songs 1 & 3 have the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret II DI'd. (Gear is listed on the lyric sheets, as almost always.)

I obviously found the Catbreads inspiring. :twisted:

Get the Karma Suture. So great.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:59 am

I got an Istanbul Mamhet legend 18" crash this week. It's wonderful. I had a stand too close to the Bosphorus 18" I loved and it got a small crack, which was quite a bummer.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:10 pm

I picked up a Beyerdynamic M201 TG. I have an old (silver) Revox 3500, which is a very similar (but vintage) mic and I like it on snare and sometimes guitars or percussion or whatever. Thought I'd grab the 201 as well. some day I will compare them to see how close they are (supposedly the impedance is different so they can't be exactly the same... but may be close depending on the preamp).

and of course I picked up a Dayton Audio EMM-6 measurement mic as well. I may be sorry I did that because now it has me second guessing everything about my room. oh well.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:02 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:10 pm

and of course I picked up a Dayton Audio EMM-6 measurement mic as well. I may be sorry I did that because now it has me second guessing everything about my room. oh well.
Don't stress. Go find the photos of the Rolling Stones working at Muscle Schoals. If I recall, the control room is almost a cube and theres a window AC unit right beside the engineers head. They made it work. You'll be fine.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:56 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:02 pm

Don't stress. Go find the photos of the Rolling Stones working at Muscle Schoals. If I recall, the control room is almost a cube and theres a window AC unit right beside the engineers head. They made it work. You'll be fine.
yeah, I know. I'll give them a call and see if they can stop by. :lol:
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:56 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:10 pm
I picked up a Beyerdynamic M201 TG. I have an old (silver) Revox 3500, which is a very similar (but vintage) mic and I like it on snare and sometimes guitars or percussion or whatever. Thought I'd grab the 201 as well. some day I will compare them to see how close they are (supposedly the impedance is different so they can't be exactly the same... but may be close depending on the preamp).

Try the 201 on hihat. It gives some presence, which is nice for stereo picture, but doesn't bite your head off like a condenser. It gets more body of the cymbals.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:25 am

drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:56 am
Try the 201 on hihat.
cool, I will try that
Mike

4theboids
audio school

Post by 4theboids » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:23 am

A pair of JBL 305P MK II powered monitors. Just barely fits on my desktop but that's OK. The merciless accuracy takes some getting used to at first but all told I'm very happy with them. Just what I needed for my particular setup. The ISO130 stands help a lot too in keeping excess object rattling to a minimum.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:29 am

4theboids wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:23 am
A pair of JBL 305P MK II powered monitors. Just barely fits on my desktop but that's OK. The merciless accuracy takes some getting used to at first but all told I'm very happy with them. Just what I needed for my particular setup. The ISO130 stands help a lot too in keeping excess object rattling to a minimum.
I just ordered a 5.1 set of the 306P MkIIs. Finally moving on from the M-Audio Cx8s I've had for over 10 years! (Anyone looking for some used monitors?)

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:23 am

$50 beater parlour guitar. I don't need it but can't resist 50s-60s American cheap-o guitars. I think it's a Jackson Guldan out of Ohio. Who knows though. It came without tuners but I had the right set in my junk drawer. Thinking about doing the Jeff Tweedy rubber bridge thing with it but will likely live with it a bit first.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:33 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:23 am
Thinking about doing the Jeff Tweedy rubber bridge thing with it but will likely live with it a bit first.
I hated that sound at first, but the more I got used to the new record the more I enjoyed the distinct, tiny little guitar sound.

It's like a less intrusive version of turning a piano into a tack piano.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm

losthighway wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:33 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thinking about doing the Jeff Tweedy rubber bridge thing with it but will likely live with it a bit first.
I hated that sound at first, but the more I got used to the new record the more I enjoyed the distinct, tiny little guitar sound.

I may try classical strings first. That said, I've got an old Kent sound hole pick-up in need of a home so maybe not. Either way, I'm looking for something plucky and fairly dead.
Honestly, I've got enough real guitars at this point. The stuff that interest me now are all oddballs. If it does one very specific thing really well that's more than enough.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm
losthighway wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

I may try classical strings first. That said, I've got an old Kent sound hole pick-up in need of a home so maybe not. Either way, I'm looking for something plucky and fairly dead.
Honestly, I've got enough real guitars at this point. The stuff that interest me now are all oddballs. If it does one very specific thing really well that's more than enough.
I've got my parlor in Nashville tuning, you might want to try that if you haven't.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 am

CraigS63 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm
losthighway wrote:

I've got my parlor in Nashville tuning, you might want to try that if you haven't.
Oh yeah. I've got an Art & Lutherie parlor that's been strung Nashville tuning for years. It gets used on everything.