Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by losthighway » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:31 pm

mrclean wrote:An Orange Micro Crush:
I recorded a band with bass through the Orange crush 35b, I put an SM7 on it and it was seriously my favorite bass sound in years. Orange makes cool little amps (the big ones are okay too I guess).

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 am

I just bought a Tascam DR-07. So far Im very happy with it. Im headed to ireland next week and my older digital recorded was big and sucky and needed upgraded.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 am

Finally ordered and put to use tolex, tolex glue, and piping for a 1x12 I've been making (first time building one of these). I started it over Christmas with my grandfather, it'll be a great thing to have once he's not around.

Plus it sounds amazing. It's got a 12" 8ohm Veteran 30 from Warehouse Guitar Speakers. The only amps I have as of right now with speaker outs are my Vox Pathfinder and my Valve Junior, which I had to install the 8ohm switch. Both of them sound incredible through it, I couldn't be happier. It's got a back panel so it can be open-back or closed, and sounds great both ways.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Nice job!
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:40 pm

That cabinet looks snazzy! good work!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 pm

A Peluso 2247LE from someone here at TapeOp.

It sounds really great. Except for a hum that it has developed. I emailed Mr. Peluso for a repair quote...

Oh, it does NOT sound like a U47, but instead has it's own sound, which I happen to like a lot. It is brighter than my U47, and has a little less low end proximity effect, which I actually like.

Once it's repaired I will keep using it.

Cheers
Last edited by Nick Sevilla on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks guys! It's my first time using a closed-back cab, what a different sound. A lot tighter, I really like it. The grill cloth is just the crappy home stereo style that we for some reason had a piece sitting around. I thought it was going to look horrible but I think it actually looks nice. Amazing how much of a different a little piping makes in the overall look of a cab.

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by somniferum » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:14 am

Picked up a black label MIJ Boss Flanger BF-2 today. Originally went in to pick up a different pedal, but saw this one, & have been looking for one for awhile.
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:17 am

Well, I have been wanting and waiting for this for a long long time:

It's a custom Fromel Seraph Deluxe chorus unit. It's based on the Boss DC-2 Dimension C guitar pedal (which in turn was based on the Roland SDD-320 Dimension D rack unit), but it uses extremely high quality components throughout.

It sounds out of this world, WAAAAAAAAAY nicer and cleaner than my old Reamp to DC-2 to stereo DI combo. The Seraph has a lot more headroom and lower noise than either of the above two units, and handles line level in and out with ease. I currently have it rigged up directly to the mixer sends and returns and it works a treat.

Quick run down of the features:

There are two modes, in Mode 1, switches select the presets (just as in the Dimension C and D, but here six permutations are possible), and in Mode 2, with the flick of a switch you engage "manual" mode where the rate and depth are tweakable with the knobs.

True Stereo In and Out, but can also work as Mono In/Stereo Out.

CV In (I think it controls the modulation depth, I haven't played with this yet, but I am already imagining a guitar/modular synth patch where an envelope follower on the guitar controls the depth or speed of the chorus), with built in attenuator on the back.

Switch for each individual chorus circuit on or off (left and right).

Custom finish in Royal Purple and Pastel Lilac. What you can't see in any of these photos are the gorgeous blue and lilac/UV LEDs above each of the little switches.

If I get time I'll upload some audio. It sounds stunning on clean guitar, my dream effect!
Last edited by Babaluma on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

joel77
audio school graduate

Post by joel77 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:17 am

Recently bought a Rode NTV tube mic off the 'bay. Been looking for sometime. These things seem to hold their value as I haven't been able to find one for less than $5-600. Got this one for under $400. Have yet to check it out though.

Joel, Studio 52

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:23 am

Babaluma wrote:Well, I have been wanting and waiting for this for a long long time:

It's a custom Fromel Seraph Deluxe chorus unit.
Now there's a sexy beast!!! Way to go.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:41 am

A pair of KRK RP6 G2's; a big step up from my old Tascam VL-X5's to my average ears!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:40 pm

A pair of AKG 414-XLS. ABORTED by the seller.

So, in honor to him, I am buying a U47 fixer upper, and sending it off to Gunter Wagner for restoration.

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY U47!!!!!

Oh, and later today I am going for the first time to McAbe's music store in Santa Monica CA.... awesome store, and includes a stage where lots of musicians play regularly.

Cheers
Last edited by Nick Sevilla on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:54 am

I used the upcoming Del-Lords tour of Spain as an excuse to have Rick Kelley at Carmine Street instal a set of Lindy Fralin's new Hum-Cancelling P-90's into my Stonetree Special.
Didn't get a pic of the pickup with the covers off but I did see that rather than having one big magnet on top he has 2 side by side (on either side of the pole pieces) to get the hum cancellation.

Happy to report they have all the P-90 growl, all the P-90 sparkle (which is usually what you loose in a humbucker) and none of the noise.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Just bought a Lynx Aurora 8. So long 003 convertors, I wont miss you.

Looking forward to doing some overdubs and mixing with it this weekend.