Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:08 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:00 pm
guitar players were blowing their own socks off during rehearsals. I had one tilt-back stand and was going to buy another when I saw they were about $40 new now... so I used some scraps of plywood that I already had on hand. I could have put a hinge on so it would collapse, but I don't intend to take it out of the studio. And if next winter is like it was in Texas this year, then I may need this for firewood...
Dang, son, that's about $3500 worth of plywood right there. If I got that cold I'd sell the plywood and burn the money!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:42 am

Marshall The Guv'nor Pedal - Basically a marshal in a box pedal, vintage from the late 80's/early 90's.
Technics SY-1010 Analog Mono Synth - Small, Portable, Japanese, Rare, funky sounds and i love it. Gotta fix it up first, has some issues
1968 Conrad Hollowbody Bass - it's a fully hollow 335 style bass, i stripped the finish and oiled it, gonna use it for jazz gigs to get more of an upright type tone than my fender gets

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:03 pm

Fulltone Octafuzz: said to be modeled on the Tychobrae that a certain Jimi dude used. It's really good, solid build, reverse polarity, still not quite what I hear in my head ...

Wampler Sovereign: wow! Whatta a flexible distortion. It doesn't do djent nor that o'er-the-top kinda Zvex thing - not really Rat or Muff fuzz territory at all - it's just a great distortion with two levels of gain sweep and very cool interactive EQ. I tried it on Tele and I'm kinda afraid to try it on bass as I might feel I need a second one ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:03 am

Got an Akai z4 sampler for $100. Appears essentially unused by previous owner. It’s amusing.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 am

Score! How shall you use it?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:11 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 am
Score! How shall you use it?
Sometimes I like to sample off the DAW into a hardware sampler instead of using the DAW like a sampler, time stretching and such has a different quality. I have several older samplers as well but the z4 is much smaller than my ASR10 and a bit more modern (usb storage capabilities, modern file compatibility, more useful sample editing screen), maybe I’ll send the asr10s off to the chopping block as they have become a coveted item. I also have an idea to use this workflow but sample off things recorded to Tascam 388 instead. I dunno, I’ve found samplers more interesting to me sometimes than a straight synthesizer/etc..

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:02 pm

I have a MicroKorg, I think it might sample - or not, I'll hafta see.

I can see it being useful, but I'm kinda just at the start of my keyboards journey, me.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:13 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:02 pm
I have a MicroKorg,
Korg MicroSampler samples. MicroKorg, not so much.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Ah, thanks - I know it has that silly gooseneck microphone thingie.

I've had it a cuppla years, only ever really used it for synth until now.

"Now" means that on my latest opus, I used the arpeggiator onna cuppla tunes for the first time.

It's the kinda thing where I'm loathe to read the manual, so I just goof withit until I find something useful for whatever I'm working on at the moment.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:11 am

The mic is for the vocoder.
Plug it into a DI, set it to vocoder, tape down keys in the key of your tune and put it in front of the drum kit. You'll get a drone-y bloops and bleeps that match the rhythm of the kit.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:32 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:11 am
Plug it into a DI, set it to vocoder, tape down keys in the key of your tune and put it in front of the drum kit. You'll get a drone-y bloops and bleeps that match the rhythm of the kit.
Even better, hold down chords that follow the changes of the song your working on & you rhythmic bleeps and bloops that are in tune with the song (this obviously requires two people or needs to be done after drums are recorded). It might take some experimenting to find the right combo of notes to hold for each chord, but the results can be quite nice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:09 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:32 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:11 am
Even better, hold down chords that follow the changes of the song your working on & you rhythmic bleeps and bloops that are in tune with the song (this obviously requires two people or needs to be done after drums are recorded). It might take some experimenting to find the right combo of notes to hold for each chord, but the results can be quite nice.
Yep.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:42 am
Marshall The Guv'nor Pedal - Basically a marshal in a box pedal, vintage from the late 80's/early 90's.
Technics SY-1010 Analog Mono Synth - Small, Portable, Japanese, Rare, funky sounds and i love it. Gotta fix it up first, has some issues
1968 Conrad Hollowbody Bass - it's a fully hollow 335 style bass, i stripped the finish and oiled it, gonna use it for jazz gigs to get more of an upright type tone than my fender gets
I've got a Conrad shortscale violin bass from roughly the same period. Has a scroll headstock, mute lever on the bridge, and those black and white Aria pickups. One of my favorite instruments.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:42 pm

ADM and wd: thanks re the vocoder tips! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:18 am

My wife decided she wants to get back into playing guitar and her dad reclaimed his indefinite loan acoustic some time ago. It also happened that I was sitting on a Guitar Center gift card so I went into the belly of the beast to get an extra special anniversary gift.

The mission was interesting. I did a 20 minute shootout between any and all of there $100 - $300 acoustics. The employees were kind enough to leave me the hell alone. I'd just pick up a guitar off the rack, strum a few root position chords to hear the tonality, maybe a little melody higher up the neck, quickly put it down then grab another one and repeat the sequence. When I started to like one, I'd set it aside and test it against others.

It started to remind me of the lens swap at the optometrist, "How's this? A little richer, little clearer?".

I went through Yamaha, Washburn, Epiphone, Ibanez, Fender (ugh) and a few other budget brands I can't remember. I kept finding that an articulate, high end zing was easy to find, but balance and richness were harder. They had a $400 Guild that was above budget, all solid wood, and way more balanced, but curiously much quieter than the cheapos. The slightly higher ($250- $300) Yamahas with some solid wood actually sounded pretty nice, if not a little thin.

Suddenly I found myself playing a Peavey acoustic, and I'll be damned if that thing didn't have a slightly better profile than all of the other cheapos I tried. Guaranteed not a solid top, back, or sides to be found in that laminate box, but somehow it just worked. I walked up to the counter with a Peavey acoustic in my hand chuckling as I waved off the employee's offer of an insurance plan for it.