A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:48 am

losthighway wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:41 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:33 pm
Added a Bigsby to my Bullet Strat goldfoil experiment.

That's a fascinating instrument. How does it clang? Or would you say chime?
It sounds pretty great. The bridge pick-up is bonkers. Insanely bright and a bit microphonic. The neck pick-up came from a harmony Bobcat pick guard I bought at a garage sale years and years ago. It's way, way, way hotter then the bridge pu. In the end I had to install an active preamps for the bridge PU to even them out. It's tucked under the pickguard with the battery in the back cavity where the trem springs used to be. Because of the mix of active and passive pick ups I had to do away with the middle position on the switch. It's neck or bridge but no combo of both (which is just fine anyway).

I've never been a strat fan but I really like the early squire bullets. They play really nicely and make a good platform for experiments. I did a way with most of the things that drive me nuts on strats - the volume pot closest to the strings that causes me to constantly turn myself down while playing, the bridge/trem system, the pickups.

It still need a proper set-up and I'm waiting on delivery of a reverend low tension spring for the bigsby. The bigsby is pretty stiff right now. Still, even as a work in progress it's pretty cool and sounds great.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:05 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:48 am

It sounds pretty great. The bridge pick-up is bonkers. Insanely bright and a bit microphonic. The neck pick-up came from a harmony Bobcat pick guard I bought at a garage sale years and years ago. It's way, way, way hotter then the bridge pu. In the end I had to install an active preamps for the bridge PU to even them out. It's tucked under the pickguard with the battery in the back cavity where the trem springs used to be. Because of the mix of active and passive pick ups I had to do away with the middle position on the switch. It's neck or bridge but no combo of both (which is just fine anyway).

I've never been a strat fan but I really like the early squire bullets. They play really nicely and make a good platform for experiments. I did a way with most of the things that drive me nuts on strats - the volume pot closest to the strings that causes me to constantly turn myself down while playing, the bridge/trem system, the pickups.

It still need a proper set-up and I'm waiting on delivery of a reverend low tension spring for the bigsby. The bigsby is pretty stiff right now. Still, even as a work in progress it's pretty cool and sounds great.
That's awesome. I share many of the same criticisms with the strat layout, so it's fun to see people messing with the form.

I've been curious about the goldfoil style since I became interested in entering the baritone guitar society and started looking at the Supro bari.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:49 pm

This one has both flavors of gold foil. Neck is American, bridge is Japanese. The Dearmond gold foils are pretty consistant. The Japanese ones are all over the map but worth the risk. There are more duds but there are also amazing ones that are unlike anything else out there.

I can't comment on the Supro bari's. Are those new? My baritone is a Japanese three pick-up Hound Dog Taylor type guitar. It wasn't intended to be a baritone but the scale is crazy long for regular guitar so I converted it. It feels terrible to play but sounds amazing. The neck is too wide and flat for my liking.

Funny enough, I'm currently working on a soundtrack that features a lot of baritone guitar. Crank up the reverb and trem and twang away.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:06 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:49 pm
I can't comment on the Supro bari's. Are those new?
Yeah, I think most anything Supro is making these days is a newer development.

I actually know little of their baris, just that my friend loves his short scale bass made by them. There just aren't a lot of bari options out there and I didn't want lipstick pickups, or insane vintage prices, or metal dude guitars. I suppose the Gretsch is still an option as well.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:51 pm

A friend has the Eastman High Flyer bari and its' pretty good. Same people behind the supros I think.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:51 pm
A friend has the Eastman High Flyer bari and its' pretty good. Same people behind the supros I think.
Sorry, Eastwood not Eastman

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:54 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:51 pm
Sorry, Eastwood not Eastman
Ooh, those are cool looking. I dig the Sidejack model. Has just enough Dano in its DNA but still its own thing with P-90's. Similar price point to the Supro and the Gretsch models too. Not as scarce as I thought they were, those baritones.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:00 pm

DIY recording rack/storage/stand for moving "the rig" to different rooms in the house as needed. Haven't decided on paint yet.
Recording stand 2020.JPG
Recording stand 2020.JPG (106.28 KiB) Viewed 35369 times

blakeq
audio school graduate

Post by blakeq » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Interested to here what you think of those monoprice pzm/boundary mics. Sale is still going on and I have been wondering about them along with the behringer ba19a.
kslight wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Monoprice has a boundary microphone in their stable right now, was discounted down to $35 last week so I ordered 2 (not received yet).

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:08 pm

About a month ago a ordered a Mapex Cherry Bomb snare drum. It wasn't a stock item, so I knew I had to wait. Originally the date was estimated for mid December. Then I get an email from Sweetwater saying it was showing up this week. It showed up Friday, it was a little cold, so I let it warm up to room temp before opening the final box (Kudos to Mapex for triple boxing the drum). In the third box is a velveteen black bag holding the drum. As I opened it I saw this beautiful charcoal chrome. I thought "I thought this was traditional chrome." Then I noticed that the lugs weren't tube lugs. Turns out, though the box said Cherry Bomb, The drum in the box was their mahogany model. So...its already packed back up and I'm still waiting for the right drum.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Cherry Bombus interruptus
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pm

blakeq wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 pm
Interested to here what you think of those monoprice pzm/boundary mics. Sale is still going on and I have been wondering about them along with the behringer ba19a.
kslight wrote:
Monoprice has a boundary microphone in their stable right now, was discounted down to $35 last week so I ordered 2 (not received yet).
Admittedly life has gotten in the way of me using them as intended, but I will check make it a point to give them a basic go anyway in the next couple days.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Radio Shack Pzm's have finally come down on Ebay. They cost $43 in 1982,now they're cheaper than that. Solder on a 9V connector,you're golden,and you can tape them on any surface.
Picked up AudioThing Springs. Hell Yess!
I am the Walnut

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:28 pm
Picked up AudioThing Springs. Hell Yess!
Damn, that looks killer. Wish it was PT10 compatible.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:44 pm

blakeq wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 pm
kslight wrote:
I am not very familiar with boundary mics, I bought these with the intent to experiment with live concert recordings and drum miking. Since neither of those are things I do at home....I don't know what the measurement of a "quality" boundary mic is, but I can tell you on my desk it records all the expected clickity clacks of my keyboard (lol), or a nearby guitar / vocal just fine, also picks up my Mac's fans and cat whining. Putting the mic on / below the bridge of my 7 string baritone acoustic sounds pretty full which is definitely a challenge I've had with normal miking.

Peculiarly, both the pad and HPF were engaged out of the box...

Cable in the box is of decent quality, like most monoprice cables.