Before the music dies

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:57 am

mertmo wrote:I can't believe you guys like Branford. He is such a tool it's unreal. He is the ONE
interview in that movie that made me want to turn it off. (ok, Erykah Badu was a
bit insufferable as well!) He's like Michael Moore
for me. Yeah, I agree with what he says but he's just SO full of it, I can't even
listen to him...

I'm glad this film exists, but I wasn't that into it. I agree with tatertot, it came off
as a bit whiny. Good for someone who doesn't already know all this about the biz.
I made my wife sit down and watch that bit where Branford rails on how all his students are "full of shit" for just wanting to be told how great they are; it didn't have much to do with the basic thrust of the movie but it was a great little rant of his. We both deal with coworkers in their early 20s and we are amazed at how fragile their self-esteem is after being falsely built up by the feel-good educational system of today. The lucky ones will get their asses beat around a bit by the 'system' (and, if they are especially lucky, by great teachers who have something they want) and build up real confidence based on real things; the unlucky ones will wander through life totally disappointed that they aren't as great as their cheezy high school band teachers told them they were at age 17.

Okay, final summary: Good thought provoking movie with a few annoying segments along the way (mostly near the start)

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 am

I'll give you that, he did have a good point there.
That is definitely a weird epidemic with the education system, no doubt.

"gold stars for everyone!"
Even for Branford... :D

jetboatguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by jetboatguy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:45 pm

The Auto-tune demonstration is my favorite part of the film...

Today, this technology has made it less of a priority to seek out the true musical talent of tomorrow.
"Digital?
Is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and they chop it up into little bits?" --- Rupert Neve

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 am

Tatertot wrote:I made my wife sit down and watch that bit where Branford rails on how all his students are "full of shit" for just wanting to be told how great they are; it didn't have much to do with the basic thrust of the movie but it was a great little rant of his.
I agree. I thought it was great, even if a little off-topic. Maybe not, though.

That's part of the reason why I haven't taught in like nine years.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:30 pm

cgarges wrote:
Tatertot wrote:I made my wife sit down and watch that bit where Branford rails on how all his students are "full of shit" for just wanting to be told how great they are; it didn't have much to do with the basic thrust of the movie but it was a great little rant of his.
I agree. I thought it was great, even if a little off-topic. Maybe not, though.

That's part of the reason why I haven't taught in like nine years.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
It's not just music students. Corporate America has this problem too in spades.

Kids these days.... *takes a swig of prune juice*

Andrew707
takin' a dinner break

Post by Andrew707 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Last edited by Andrew707 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm

As a fellow Virginian, I find anything Dave Mathews has to say to be complete BS. I'll likely watch this film, but his involvement makes me want to cringe. He and his management have destroyed live music in Charlottesville time and again. As far as I'm concerned, he is just as abhorrent as any fascist dictator preaching to the flock.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty