Favorite Organ Drum Machine

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Favorite Organ Drum Machine

Post by jackson park » Thu May 03, 2007 7:42 am

Hello

I know a bunch of you guys have them right? Do you have a favorite kind? Rhythm Ace or Hammond? Is there a particularly useful feature that some have?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu May 03, 2007 6:11 pm

I've got a bunch of old drum machines. I don't think I'd describe any of the features as "useful"; they're pretty much just a selection of rhythms and start/stop buttons. A couple allow you to alter the mix, but mostly it's de-selecting sounds (i.e., you can turn off the hihat or snare, etc.). They're all fun and each one has it's own personality. I couldn't pick just one.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu May 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Memphis Blue Beat!!

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Fri May 04, 2007 1:11 am

i love my rhythm ace. also the classic that you hear a lot in sly stone's stuff, and elsewhere is the maestro rhythm king.. you can get extra variations from these by playing two patterns at once or changing the rhythm 1/2 way through each pattern.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri May 04, 2007 5:44 am

I like the one built into my SS Hammond..because like when you hit rock and Polka at the same time it plays a really cool messed up beat..look out if you can get rock polka and waltz simultaniously pressed in..

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Fri May 04, 2007 11:30 am

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if you guys knew of one that had a good sizzly snare. Not a tight snare like a CR 78. But more like a tschhh... or something. Something that sounds like it's coming from an organ and has a sizzly decay.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri May 04, 2007 1:39 pm

jackson park wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if you guys knew of one that had a good sizzly snare. Not a tight snare like a CR 78. But more like a tschhh... or something. Something that sounds like it's coming from an organ and has a sizzly decay.
here is the site of your dreams..it will give you a virtual tour of tons of those types of beatboxers:

http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/d_machines/vdrums.html

you can find the one you like or sample their samples or find the name of the sample set you want and get a copy of samples elsewhere, etc..

the Maestro Rhythm has maybe the sound your looking for..

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri May 04, 2007 1:44 pm

if you're looking for one in an actual organ, the beatbox on my old Casio 301 is frickin' rad. As are most of the sounds that come out of it. I can do some recordings of it for you if you'd like, PM me.

They go for criminally small amounts on eBay, but have some neato features.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Fri May 04, 2007 5:22 pm

you're definitely after the maestro rhythm king. Neil Finn uses this thing a lot, too.

The best snare sound actually comes from distorting the open hi hat sound and gating. Very "EH-Shh" sounding and cool. This box is awesome, seriously.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat May 05, 2007 8:34 am

auralman wrote:you're definitely after the maestro rhythm king. Neil Finn uses this thing a lot, too.

The best snare sound actually comes from distorting the open hi hat sound and gating. Very "EH-Shh" sounding and cool. This box is awesome, seriously.
*hits go-go setting and goes crazy all over the room*

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat May 05, 2007 8:43 am

jackson park wrote:I was wondering if you guys knew of one that had a good sizzly snare. Not a tight snare like a CR 78. But more like a tschhh... or something. Something that sounds like it's coming from an organ and has a sizzly decay.
The Korg MiniPops 35 or the Seeburg machines are pretty sizzly. I love the Seeburg snare sound.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Sun May 06, 2007 4:51 am

I'd like to offer my glowing reccomendation towards the Roland TR-77 - they're TOTALLY fun.

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Sun May 06, 2007 8:53 am

I've never seen or heard that Roland TR 77. I didn't know they made drum machines in the horizontal style.

Does anybody have samples I could hear for the Seeburg or the Minipops?

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Sun May 06, 2007 6:12 pm

jackson park wrote:I've never seen or heard that Roland TR 77. I didn't know they made drum machines in the horizontal style.
man, if you get familiar with it you'll hear it all the time .. really obvious 77 is on "Corporate World" on the Fight Club soundtrack by Dust Bros.. the right side selector has these great snare & bass patterns that mix with whatever the main pattern is that's going.. totally easy to get driving Suicidey sorta stuff.

buh, mine's in storage, now I really miss him.. another horizontal machine I've got is the Hammond Auto-Vari 64.. no way near as interesting or entertaining as the 77 but still some nice sounds, and way more flashing lights.

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Mon May 07, 2007 1:57 pm

Disasteradio wrote:
jackson park wrote:I've never seen or heard that Roland TR 77. I didn't know they made drum machines in the horizontal style.
man, if you get familiar with it you'll hear it all the time .. really obvious 77 is on "Corporate World" on the Fight Club soundtrack by Dust Bros.. the right side selector has these great snare & bass patterns that mix with whatever the main pattern is that's going.. totally easy to get driving Suicidey sorta stuff.

buh, mine's in storage, now I really miss him.. another horizontal machine I've got is the Hammond Auto-Vari 64.. no way near as interesting or entertaining as the 77 but still some nice sounds, and way more flashing lights.

I was actually looking into getting the Hammond auto vari 64. I would think it sounds better than the TR 77 but I have no basis for that, except I like organ drum sounds. I'll have to check out Corporate World, I can't remember it off the top of my head even though I just rewatched the movie last week.