Pink Floyd: How'd They Do That?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Live at Pompey

Post by Jeff White » Tue May 22, 2007 8:36 pm

sheeptuf wrote:Live at Pompey is one of my favorite things Floyd ever did. To see those guys in their 20's and playing like that makes me squirm with envy.

Has everyone seen that?
Yeah, It's amazingly cool. The first time I saw it, back in 1994, I was completely blown away.
Also - if you've heard it Pink Floyd - "More" is super cool.

Tuf
I just listened to this today at work. Great record. Man, "The Nile Song" just kills. I love the various live versions of "Green Is the Colour" that are floating around; I actually prefer them to the studio version on More. And "Cymbaline" is beautiful, too. The record definitley sounds like 1969.

I tend to really love the post-Sid pre-DSOTM Flyd these days. I also love DSOTM. But there is something really magical about "A Saucerful of Secrets", "More", "Ummagumma", "Atom Heart Mother", and "Meddle". some folks don't even know Pink Floyd pre-DSOTHM!!!

Jeff

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue May 22, 2007 8:59 pm

bradjacob wrote:
cgarges wrote:
RefD wrote:phaser before fuzz = glorpy Gilmour solo sound on Animals and The Wall
That explains a lot.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Laugh Out Loud !!! :lol:
whatever.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue May 22, 2007 9:03 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Man, "The Nile Song" just kills. I love the various live versions of "Green Is the Colour" that are floating around; I actually prefer them to the studio version on More. And "Cymbaline" is beautiful, too. The record definitley sounds like 1969.

I tend to really love the post-Sid pre-DSOTM Flyd these days. I also love DSOTM. But there is something really magical about "A Saucerful of Secrets", "More", "Ummagumma", "Atom Heart Mother", and "Meddle". some folks don't even know Pink Floyd pre-DSOTHM!!!

Jeff
Meddle really nails it.

Side 2 of Atom Heart Mother is also great, even Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

if you haven't already, give Obscured By Clouds a listen, they're starting to really get some of their DSOTM sounds together on that and Meddle.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue May 22, 2007 9:25 pm

RefD wrote: if you haven't already, give Obscured By Clouds a listen, they're starting to really get some of their DSOTM sounds together on that and Meddle.
Listening right now, as I forgot to add it to my list.

I also have a BBC Floyd compilation that just kills, as well as several bootleags from 1969/1970 on cassette that need to be imported because they are real nice.

Jeff

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Wed May 23, 2007 12:00 am

ipressrecord wrote:
sheeptuf wrote:Live at Pompey is one of my favorite things Floyd ever did. To see those guys in their 20's and playing like that makes me squirm with envy.

Has everyone seen that?
Yeah, It's amazingly cool. The first time I saw it, back in 1994, I was completely blown away.
+1 on that.... i had forgotten about it and a few months ago i saw "Pompeii" again and i just about shat myself...

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Wed May 23, 2007 6:13 am

Where does one get this bootleg "box set" that's floating around. I hear that is contains a lot of "demos" and such.

Allen Parons said in a book called (Behind The Glass) that DSOTM was done on a 16-trk. It just proves that excellence is first in the song, and then captured by the engineer.
- Brad

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sun May 27, 2007 4:10 pm

According to Nick Mason, they only worked on the household objects stuff for a couple of days, and there was nothing to show for it.

Agreed with all on the pre-DSOTM Gilmour-era stuff. Obscured by Clouds has long been a favorite of mine. The live stuff they were doing from 1969 to 1972 or so was amazing. As good as some of those albums are, there are live recordings out there of many of those songs that smoke the albums. Especially the version of "Echoes" on the Pompeii film. That Gilmour solo in the first half is absolutely amazing. I remember being so disappointed when I first heard the album version of the song. There are some great versions of "Atom Heart Mother," "Cymbeline" and "Green is the Colour" out there as well. It's a shame that the Floyd has never allowed the BBC session stuff to be released. There's some great stuff there.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed May 30, 2007 10:13 am

Roger wrote all the stuff on More (Cymbaline, Green is the Colour) and most the other good stuff, too (Grantchester Meadows, etc.). He's also the one that drove all the experimental stuff (building furniture on stage, Return of the Sons of Nothing, Massed Gadgets of Auxeminies etc.) in the early days. The others were just in the wake of his leadership and creativity IMO.

Waters definitely got the sour end in the press but he WAS the essence of the band post-Syd as far as I'm concerned. Gilmour's guitar and voice was nice, but he was never in a position to move Floyd anywhere good post-Waters and should have left well enough alone--their recorded material post Waters appears to validate this opinion. Mason's drumming has always been unique.

Somebody like Gilmour (who is perhaps the REAL megalomaniac) should have rested easy as "the guitarist"....It's too bad that Gilmour didn't have the courtesy to play with all his original bandmates (...Waters...) at Syd's memorial show at the Barbican earlier this month.

As for Syd, if you haven't seen the "session notes" written by Malcolm Jones (the one who REALLY pushed him back into the studio, lest you believe the others had), this is a must read. It sheds light on how Gilmour as a producer didn't give the project (Madcap?) the attention it deserved. It was rushed in between Floyd's tour dates and not even edited properly.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 am

wow, somebody's been chugging the Hatorade! :lol:

thesneakyjesus
pluggin' in mics

Post by thesneakyjesus » Wed May 30, 2007 11:15 am

the "live in pompeii" DVD is bascially the coolest thing I've ever seen.

The transfer in Echoes part 1 to that groove that the bass and drum hits, as the camera pans out from behind the wall of speakers with "Pink Floyd" spray painted on them... it's just fuckin cool.

And, maybe this would be a good time to talk about what they were using technically.

I saw this crazy board... it has like handles that moved back and forward instead of knobs or faders... like the accelerator in the millenium falcon. I've seen this in a few other boards.. but don't know too much about it. Other than that the equipment I saw and remember was

Hi watt guitar amps
fender jazz bass
and a giant semi out of tune grand (for the intro and coda... it's like.. there's that one note he hits.. it's just slightly out of tune.. it's really powerful).
~Chris

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 am

thesneakyjesus wrote:I saw this crazy board... it has like handles that moved back and forward instead of knobs or faders... like the accelerator in the millenium falcon. I've seen this in a few other boards.. but don't know too much about it.
faders on some boards of that era were like that.

i think they may have been adapted rotary faders with an arm attached and sticking out with a knob on the end of the bat, but i have no idea if that's correct or not.
thesneakyjesus wrote:...and a giant semi out of tune grand (for the intro and coda... it's like.. there's that one note he hits.. it's just slightly out of tune.. it's really powerful).
that opening and closing sound is actually the piano piped thru one of their 3 Leslies.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed May 30, 2007 12:02 pm

It would be cool to see an equipment list from those concerts.....

I know they used WEM cabinets and you can see Gilmour's Dallas Arbiter FuzzFace....Nick's always used a Ludwig kit and Paiste 2002 cymbals.....('cept circa Barrett--he may have used Premier)

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 30, 2007 12:10 pm

Fieryjack wrote:It would be cool to see an equipment list from those concerts.....

I know they used WEM cabinets and you can see Gilmour's Dallas Arbiter FuzzFace....Nick's always used a Ludwig kit and Paiste 2002 cymbals.....('cept circa Barrett--he may have used Premier)
i think Gilmour, Waters and Wright all used Binson Echorec (sp?) magnetic disk echoes, tho Wright may have also used a tape delay.

Wright and Gilmour both had Vox wah pedals and DeArmond volume pedals.

i have no idea what Mason used, tho i think he used Premier drums til around 1970, switched to Ludwigs after that.

definitely Sennheiser MD409 vocal mics!

i read somewher that Gilmour's WEM 4x12" cabs were (and still are) loaded with Fane Crescendo speakers.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 30, 2007 4:30 pm

[quote="RefDdefinitely Sennheiser MD409 vocal mics![/quote]

Echolettes, actually, which were OEM rebranded 409s. Slightly different frequency response, I think, although I could be wrong about that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 30, 2007 8:02 pm

cgarges wrote:
RefD wrote:definitely Sennheiser MD409 vocal mics!
Echolettes, actually, which were OEM rebranded 409s. Slightly different frequency response, I think, although I could be wrong about that.
wow, i had no idea.