Pink Floyd: How'd They Do That?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:20 pm

The director of Pompeii said that the songs were recorded to 24 track. Im sure that wasnt the case as Abbey Road had 16 track at the time. And if it was, you'd think they'd have a remix for the dvd instead of using the stereo mix for 5.1, making nick's drums sound horrible.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Seej wrote:The director of Pompeii said that the songs were recorded to 24 track. Im sure that wasnt the case as Abbey Road had 16 track at the time. And if it was, you'd think they'd have a remix for the dvd instead of using the stereo mix for 5.1, making nick's drums sound horrible.

Maben is mistaken, in the Director's Cut of his own fil you see them working on a 2" 16-strack machine doing vocal overdubs.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:49 pm

Fieryjack wrote:Somebody like Gilmour (who is perhaps the REAL megalomaniac) should have rested easy as "the guitarist"....It's too bad that Gilmour didn't have the courtesy to play with all his original bandmates (...Waters...) at Syd's memorial show at the Barbican earlier this month.
According to Joe Boyd, both performances came in at the last minute. Roger called up and said he would do a song, but he had to be "out by 9:00" so he could meet his girlfriend at the airport. The others also decided to turn up a day or so before. Actually, according to Boyd, the whole thing pretty much came together on the day of the show.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:14 am

RefD wrote:
cgarges wrote:
RefD wrote:definitely Sennheiser MD409 vocal mics!
Echolettes, actually, which were OEM rebranded 409s. Slightly different frequency response, I think, although I could be wrong about that.
wow, i had no idea.
actually, i just re-watched it today and the 409 Gilmour is singing into says "Sennheiser" on it plain as day.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:38 am

RefD wrote:actually, i just re-watched it today and the 409 Gilmour is singing into says "Sennheiser" on it plain as day.
Cool. I've seen a bunch of pictures of them using Echolettes and had that in my head.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:27 am

Fieryjack wrote:Roger wrote all the stuff on More (Cymbaline, Green is the Colour) and most the other good stuff, too (Grantchester Meadows, etc.). He's also the one that drove all the experimental stuff (building furniture on stage, Return of the Sons of Nothing, Massed Gadgets of Auxeminies etc.) in the early days. The others were just in the wake of his leadership and creativity IMO.

Waters definitely got the sour end in the press but he WAS the essence of the band post-Syd as far as I'm concerned. Gilmour's guitar and voice was nice, but he was never in a position to move Floyd anywhere good post-Waters and should have left well enough alone--their recorded material post Waters appears to validate this opinion.
amen. post-waters floyd is unlistenable. i remember watching a live video of "pink floyd" from the 80's w/ gilmore and wright being the only original members, and it was just aweful. the playing was fine, but it sounded like a cover band. it was all so polished and insincere.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:48 am

What you guys don't like Gilmour's

If it wasn't for "Murder" this album would be 110% forgotten.

When I was a young chap, I liked the Division Bell and the tour that followed. Now I agree... unlistenable. I really like everything up until The Wall, but my heart lies with everything up until 1973. More, Obscured by Clouds, Ummagumma, side 2 of AHM, Meddle... incredible. The live bootlegs from this time period are great, too. "Green Is the Colour" and "Cymbaline" live is Floyd at their best, IMHO.

And "The Nile Song" kicks fucking ass.

Jeff

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:43 am

What do you think the reasoning was for The Pink Floyd of the mid-sixties to keep Pink Floyd as their name, when the songs and feel changed so much after Syd's mind devoured itself? They were still an awesome band, but it seems misleading to keep the name after the lead singer/songwriter is gone. I'm assuming it was for business purposes, as people already knew who The Floyd were and the band didn't want to start over. Maybe?

PS. The Doors put out a record as The Doors after Jim died, and except for "In the Eye of the Sun" it was poop-poop. Maybe the Windows would've been better?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:i remember watching a live video of "pink floyd" from the 80's w/ gilmore and wright being the only original members...
you forgot Mason, he never left the band for even a minute.

Waters quit in '84, Gilmour is the new guy (1968) and Wright was out on his ass between '80 and '87 ostensibly for being a cokehead.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:55 pm

RefD wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:i remember watching a live video of "pink floyd" from the 80's w/ gilmore and wright being the only original members...

Waters quit in '84, Gilmour is the new guy (1968) and Wright was out on his ass between '80 and '87 ostensibly for being a cokehead.
my bad, but i stick by my opinion regardless.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
RefD wrote:

my bad, but i stick by my opinion regardless.
i'm pretty much in line with that, it's been mostly unlistenable since the original post-Barrett line-up fragmented.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:46 am

Can you imagine if they reunited - the four of them? I was rumored that the reason they "didn't" (after Live-8), was because Gilmour was doing On An Island. It's now done, C'mon guys - give us a reunion....

And while I'm on that topic, has anyone heard anything on the Zep reunion? I read a few articles on this for this year.

http://www.albumvote.co.uk/news/article/2029.htm
- Brad

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:47 am

Turns out Johnny B is right. I just found out from a VERY reliable source that they were indeed going to play together that night. Gllmour himself actually invited Waters to join the rest of the group for a rendition of "Interstellar Overdrive". Waters DID have a conflict and said he couldn't!

Would have been incredible to see......

This is one of the only tunes that the original line up played live (Barrett/Waters/Mason/Wright) AND the post Barrett lineup played live (+ Gilmour). They also played "Astronomy Domine" w/both Syd and Gilmour (separately of course)

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:00 pm

My faves in order are: Madcap Laughs/Barrett, Meddle, Piper, Relics, Momentary (yes, I like this album -- the production is fun, and while the lyrics are weak, the tunes are very catchy). Everything else falls into the I'd probably rather not hear it again category.

I think what's interesting about my list, is that aside from Syd, pr'y Gilmour is the common denominator. And yet, his solo albums largely suck.

I can't stand listening to Waters-era Floyd. Its just so cloying. I'm sorry that you're a depressed multimillionaire rockstar, Roger. Can you do it someplace else?

Who else used "Keep your filthy hands off my desert" on a mix tape?

Floyd was one of the reasons I got into playing keyboard. My first band did a rockin' cover of Interstellar overdrive. B3 and leslied piano are the shizzy.

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Watched it the other day and i did see what looked like a 16track while they were fliming at Pompeii. didnt see any tape boxes lying around though, which i thought was weird.
RefD wrote:
Seej wrote:The director of Pompeii said that the songs were recorded to 24 track. Im sure that wasnt the case as Abbey Road had 16 track at the time. And if it was, you'd think they'd have a remix for the dvd instead of using the stereo mix for 5.1, making nick's drums sound horrible.

Maben is mistaken, in the Director's Cut of his own fil you see them working on a 2" 16-strack machine doing vocal overdubs.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982