Pink Floyd: How'd They Do That?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

absent
alignin' 24-trk

Post by absent » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:34 pm

unlike the 1987 Radio KAOS tour (underwhelming, i also saw it), which pretty much geysered money from an open aorta (getting theater-sized crowds in arenas will do that) and featured Waters having unscripted hissy fits and abuse-a-thons on stage at every stop.

Geysering money will to that to even the best of us. I've heard one his hissy fits in a bootleg.
The only "Sound-on-Sound" that matters is the kind that comes on a friction-drive Sony TC 3XX.

48K is unprofessional? So am I. Your point?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:07 pm

I've gotta say that I saw Roger Waters live maybe 5 or 6 years ago and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. In addition to being musically great, Roger was EXTREMELY appreciative of the enthusiastic audience response. Personally, I was surprised at hpw appreciatetive he was, but it didn't go past me. Perhaps he's grown up a bit.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:07 pm

cgarges wrote:Perhaps he's grown up a bit.
that's the impression i've gotten over the last decade or so, as well.

maybe something really good happened to him in the mid-90s?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 pm

RefD wrote:maybe something really good happened to him in the mid-90s?
Lots of income from his Pink Floyd album sales + not having to actually work with Pink Floyd, probably.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:15 am

He did seem REALLY enthusiastic at Live Eight. Moreso than Gilmour, that's for sure.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:57 am

jammybastard wrote:VH1 produces shite reality shows, not class like this.
AMEN to that my friend!
- Brad

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:25 am

Anybody else listen to "Music From the Body"? A very avant-garde soundtrack done by waters and Ron Geesin in the late 60's or early 70's, that is by far the most psychedelic stuff any of them got into, imho. You can tell that Waters was just totally indulging his crazy imaginative studio experimenting side on that with total freedom. I love it but I don't think I have met another person who could stand it for more than 5 minutes.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:32 am

cgarges wrote:He did seem REALLY enthusiastic at Live Eight. Moreso than Gilmour, that's for sure.
yup.

i think it's been in print a few times since then that Waters wants to reform the middle-era Floyd and Gilmour (as well as Wright and Mason) is(are) pretty much over it.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Yeah, I saw both Gilmour's and Waters' shows in 2006 and they were both equally mesmerizing. Gilmour couldn't hit a wrong note if he wanted to, and as much as I was anticipating Waters' show to be inferior, it was (surprisingly) every bit as good. I think a lot has to do with the enthusiasm he has for the music, that you could cut with a knife that night. And it was the 2nd of 3 shows at the Bowl!! That says a lot when you've been playing music in front of people for 40 years, end up putting up "The Wall" for a good part of it, and end up coming back out and on top and loving it. For all the shit I heard about him, that part of it earned my respect instantly.

Well yeah, that and hearing Dark Side of the Moon from front to back live. Just as good as hearing/seeing Echoes and Gilmour/Wright singing 2 part harmony vocals. (or David Crosby and Steven Stills accompanying Gilmour in a 3 part harmony acapella verse in Shine On You Crazy Diamond)

Okokok, I'm done! (well, not really, but sorta)...
I'm all about a little kick and snare

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Pink Floyd: How'd They Do That?

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:47 am

instead of marshall 4x12 get those community whate are they RS8000's? The giant fibreglass ones with like 6x15" and manifold loaded midrange CDs. yeah stick one of those in the Grand canyon and record it in reverse
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Pink Floyd: How'd They Do That?

Post by RefD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:48 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:instead of marshall 4x12 get those community whate are they RS8000's? The giant fibreglass ones with like 6x15" and manifold loaded midrange CDs. yeah stick one of those in the Grand canyon and record it in reverse
actually, they preferred to use ancient Roman ruins. :P

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:13 am

yeah i used to think Floyd was all about DSOTM and Wall until someone turned me on to Umma Gumma. I had a new found respect for them! just try walking down the street listening to it on headphones!
Definetly a post barret pre Wall fan here. but even the later chrome and granite Pink FLoyd is pretty awesome compared to the post water insincerity. i mean Gilmore is an awesome guitarist (what is it about white british guys and the blues idiom?) but his lyrical exercises are pretty hackish.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:05 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:ybut even the later chrome and granite Pink FLoyd
What does this mean?
- Brad

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:25 am

calaverasgrandes wrote: (what is it about white british guys and the blues idiom?)
*prattles on for six paragraphs about England in the 1950s, white America's ignorance of blues, sailors bringing blues records to the UK, deletes it all*
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:36 am

Ok, so let's get back to the real purpose of the topic - Floyd Recording Tricks:

Did you know....

Right before the first line of Brick/Wall part II ("we don't need no education") comes in, you can hear a clip of from Live At Pompei when Roger does that "sucking-in" scream during Careful With That Axe.
- Brad