Basic equipment for TV audio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Basic equipment for TV audio?

Post by miamidevice » Fri May 04, 2007 7:49 am

Hi,

I might have a few opportunities coming up to do some work doing audio on a TV shoot or two. Many of these jobs seem to be dependent on me having my own equipment. While I do have quite a bit of gear, I'm curious what a bare bones kit for doing location sound would be from the perspective of people who do this regularly.

Thanks.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Fri May 04, 2007 9:01 am

In my experience, there isn't really much studio equipment that transfers well to location dialog recording - maybe a mic, depending on the location. The basic kit would be simply a portable DAT or hard disk recorder (or a Nagra, if that's your thing, though I think it's rare these days), a boom, and a couple of mics - usually one big shotgun for outdoors and a smaller cardioid for indoors. If you're going to hvae someone helping, you'll need what's called a duplex cable, which just runs a mic feed and headphone jack to him; you could also get a fancy mixer w/ talkback facilities. If they want you to just run into the camera, it may be easier on you, but you'll have less control - in any case, you need somebody to show you the ropes. Ask around; folks are usually happy to help. And look into renting the gear - most camera rental shops at least have something on hand for this.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri May 04, 2007 1:53 pm

no you do not ever use a nagra for television work..that is just not practical..

I really even can't answer your question without knowing specifically what type of work you will be doing..and if your doing all types you pretty much need eveything and two or three of everything..note that doing sound work out of the confines of a controled studio is very difficult and takes practice and apprenticeship and you will have to work your way up to actually being good at it..