Stereo Ribbon Group Buy Ending Soon!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 14, 2007 4:26 pm

gabe real wrote:how do you order this thing?
im interested.
I'd start by emailing victor, or follow the links to the other forum especially made for the group buy. links are listed above.

theonlymagicalpig
ass engineer

Post by theonlymagicalpig » Tue May 15, 2007 5:42 am

Please check out this message : http://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.p ... stcount=50
there's all the info about the specs of the mic, the how's and why's...

There is the board for the group buy : http://www.freepowerboards.com/stereoribbon/portal.php

The list thread : http://www.freepowerboards.com/stereori ... 18-90.html
The who has paid thread : http://www.freepowerboards.com/stereori ... 5.html#275

To order a mic, just send your payment to my email address (theonlymagicalpig@yahoo.com). One mic is 198$, for two or more mic it's 184$ per mic.

Price INCLUDES shipping to Europe, USA, Canada. Shipping to other places will cost additional charges, please contact me.

We need 22 payments before the end of Sunday May 20th...

COME ON PEOPLE !

Victor.
"Always Pig"

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Tue May 15, 2007 9:12 am

bump!
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue May 15, 2007 9:26 am

If we do this, how long would it take to get the mics?

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:08 am

ubertar wrote:If we do this, how long would it take to get the mics?
If I recall correctly. . .after the orders are in. . .40 days on the boat. . .a week in customs. . .some time to ship to individuals. . .you're looking at 2 months easy. I'm the type of guy that wants things as soon as I pay for them, but this was too good to pass up! I ordered (and paid for) 2 of them.

-James
HWJLHC?

theonlymagicalpig
ass engineer

Post by theonlymagicalpig » Tue May 15, 2007 10:14 am

mingus2112 wrote:
ubertar wrote:If we do this, how long would it take to get the mics?
If I recall correctly. . .after the orders are in. . .40 days on the boat. . .a week in customs. . .some time to ship to individuals. . .you're looking at 2 months easy. I'm the type of guy that wants things as soon as I pay for them, but this was too good to pass up! I ordered (and paid for) 2 of them.

-James
That's correct sir.

I'm not a patient guy either but there are things you just don't have a choice with.

Victor.
"Always Pig"

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Tue May 15, 2007 10:43 am

I'm not trying to be a total dick about this, but it smacks of scam. The whole deadline thing, money up front, not seeing product for months...
Have you done this before? Who have you done it with?
Why not dump an order on a credit card then sell everything yourself?
I'm sorry if I missed those details. I don't mean to be a dick.
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 15, 2007 10:52 am

gregnrom wrote:I'm not trying to be a total dick about this, but it smacks of scam. The whole deadline thing, money up front, not seeing product for months...
why not do some research first or just not participate if you feel so...

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Tue May 15, 2007 12:19 pm

trodden wrote:
gregnrom wrote:I'm not trying to be a total dick about this, but it smacks of scam. The whole deadline thing, money up front, not seeing product for months...
why not do some research first or just not participate if you feel so...
'kay
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm not claiming to know a lot about the organizer, his financial situation, etc, but I really don't see a problem with the group buy scenario. at $368 a pair, that would be over $18,000 for the minimum order of $100 microphones. I'm not poor, but I also don't have a credit card lying around that I can just throw $18k on.

Getting the money upfront allows the organizer to pay for the mics without financial hardship on himself. Remember, he's not doing this for profit. He's organizing a "group buy." This means a bunch of people buying together to reap the benefits of ordering in large quantity.

I have no problem with the way we're doing this. Paypal is very safe. If we don't have our mics in a fair time, we can always file a claim with paypal. I believe they give 90 days for that.

-James
HWJLHC?

theonlymagicalpig
ass engineer

Post by theonlymagicalpig » Tue May 15, 2007 4:06 pm

Hmmm,

this is not the first time someone has doubts about my honesty. I'm just going to answer what I've always answered : I can't get you absolute proof this is not a scam. People have asked to talk on the telephone or to get them a picture of myself, show emails of correspondance with the Chinese manufacturer. I've been asked about my history in forums and told them that I used to play upright bass as my main instrument and log in under "perytojie" at www.talkbass.com and now I'm "magicalpig" on www.forum.saxontheweb.net. You can check them out if you want. I have a myspace page www.myspace.com/theonlymagicalpig if you want to check that out as well. BUT those are no proof of anything.

The only thing I can tell you is that my identity is attached to Paypal because my credit card and bank account are. As far as I know, you gotta be a badass criminal in order to get false papers convincing enough to open a bank account. And even if I was and this all thing was a scam, do you think I'll risk several charges such as forging identity, international theft and so on, being forced to hide away for ever for only $20k? Scams are often fast and discrete and this group buy is not. Actually I wished it went a bit faster...

As mingus2112 have pointed out very well, I don't want to start a mic reselling business; my job is playing music and I'm not ready to change my lifestyle just for bigger profit. And I wouldn't have the finances to start one. The point of this whole thing is to save some bucks by getting together. There's a whole community effort, people against corporations thing behind the idea of group buys I think. I'm not a Mother Theresa of stereo ribbon mics either as I intend to get some free mics out of this thing which, IMO, I have earned for the time I've put in trying to make it happen.

I don't know if you've read the messages that have been sent before but the deadline have been extended A LOT in order to pull this thing through. I've put so much effort into the group buy that I'd buy 50 mics a long time ago if I had the dough.

I don't know what more to tell you really... Wait, I know, buy a mic or two and support the community effort!! :wink:

Anyway so feel free to ask me some more questions,
Victor.

PS : did i forget to tell you COME ON PEOPLE, GET YOURSELF A NICE STEREO RIBBON MICROPHONE!
"Always Pig"

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 15, 2007 4:22 pm

Thanks Victor.

I hope people no longer need to harsh on this anymore, we're having a hard enough time getting people to come through and don't need any negative vibes chasing people away.

cheers,
Brandon

raccoon
studio intern

Post by raccoon » Tue May 15, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm one of the deadbeats. I feel pretty bad about it but I'm unemployed and I'm going to Mexico for a month and all my money is wrapped up in that. I'll try to sell some stuff by the end of the week but it's not looking too good. Someone pick up my slack!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue May 15, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm in for 2. Just paypalled you. Where exactly is smelly cheese country? How long will it take to ship to the US once you get them?

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue May 15, 2007 9:51 pm

I'm one of the deadbeats, too... with two mics to my name. Thankfullly I just sold an expensive turntable preamp and I'm just waiting for that guy to paypal me so I can paypal the group.

Forgive me! I'm trying!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"