Stereo Ribbon Group Buy Ending Soon!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bap
takin' a dinner break

Stereo Ribbon Group Buy Ending Soon!

Post by bap » Sat May 05, 2007 6:11 pm

http://www.freepowerboards.com/stereoribbon/index.php

I started the 'Who Knows Anything About This' thread quite a while back and have since gotten in on the deal. If you would like a great deal on a decent mic please consider going in on this.

I'll take one and I can pay!

I'd love to see it go through so that I can buy Lundahl transformers for a mod.

Come on people!
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Only 36 people have paid for their mics so far. How sad. This was a great opportunity and I fear that it may turn out to be a wasted effort on Victor's part. I figured that there would be a handful of non-paying people, but this is pathetic.
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 07, 2007 1:43 pm

qball wrote:Only 36 people have paid for their mics so far. How sad. This was a great opportunity and I fear that it may turn out to be a wasted effort on Victor's part. I figured that there would be a handful of non-paying people, but this is pathetic.
yeah people come on. If it gets close to the 91 needed, i'm paying for a second.

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Mon May 07, 2007 1:46 pm

If I had the cash, I'd buy the entire lot and resell them.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 07, 2007 1:48 pm

qball wrote:If I had the cash, I'd buy the entire lot and resell them.
totes!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon May 07, 2007 5:07 pm

I tried to register, but it never sent me the activation email.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 07, 2007 5:18 pm

ubertar wrote:I tried to register, but it never sent me the activation email.
check your spam folder, hippy.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon May 07, 2007 5:43 pm

trodden wrote:
ubertar wrote:I tried to register, but it never sent me the activation email.
check your spam folder, hippy.
nope, nada.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 08, 2007 12:51 am

Well, its past the cut off date... I wonder what Victor has decided, maybe extend it?

a shame that people were not able to pull through.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue May 08, 2007 7:09 am

Since Victor opened it to public, I don't believe there is any need to register. The forum was by invite at first because of his concern about difficulties possibly being created by large Chinese Mic Distributors.

He was planning for a 3 week period but PayPal allows for 4 weeks before accepting payment. I think Victor was also going to let it run the entire 4 weeks.

Come on people!

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Tue May 08, 2007 7:14 am

Only 38 have been paid for. We're not even close.

jv
pushin' record

Re: Stereo Ribbon Group Buy Ending Soon!

Post by jv » Tue May 08, 2007 10:22 am

When I go to that board, I can't figure out how much it costs or exactly what is being bought. Am I missing something?

qball
pushin' record

Re: Stereo Ribbon Group Buy Ending Soon!

Post by qball » Tue May 08, 2007 10:37 am

jv wrote:
When I go to that board, I can't figure out how much it costs or exactly what is being bought. Am I missing something?
Here is the list of how many each person wants: http://www.freepowerboards.com/stereori ... out18.html

Here is the list of those who actually have paid for the ones they "said" they wanted: http://www.freepowerboards.com/stereori ... out35.html

I can't remember if any details or pics were posted anywhere here or on the other board, but the mic looks VERY similar to a very popular brand (I can't say it here) that has slots cut across the front as opposed to a mesh grill.

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue May 08, 2007 10:43 am

I believe that $198 for one and a slight discount for a quantity order. The following is from an e-mail sent to me by Victor which outlines pricing and all. E-mail Victor at address below for further info.

It would be nice if Victor would post here once again to clarify.

The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of "Chinese Microphone Community". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

theonlymagicalpig@yahoo.com

Include this full email (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi!

I'm happy to announce the group buy will take place as we got enough subscriptions on the list to reach the minimum amount to order direct from the chinese manufacturer.

I will start to gather the payments by Paypal ONLY, in US dollars ONLY. Starting from today, I will wait three weeks for the payments. I will then place the order. Payments are to be made on this address

Don't forget to write me a word with your address, number of mics and so on to make it easy for me to sort this thing out.

Below is a recap of what the group buy is for and all the details about what it includes / exclude, how long we'll wait until we have the mics and so on...

1. THE MICROPHONE

Specifications

* Type: Stereo Ribbon Microphone
* Ribbon Dimensions: 2.5 micron thick
*Polar pattern: Figure 8
*Sensitivity: -52 dB (+/- 2 dB)
*Frequency response: 30 to -15,000 Hz (+/- 3dB)
*Rated Impedance : 600 Ohms
*Max.SPL (1% THD @1000 Hz): 130 dB
*Connector: Heavy gauge 5-Pin male XLR

Photos

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/t ... on01-1.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/t ... bbon03.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/t ... bbon02.jpg

When you buy one microphone you get :

- the stereo ribbon mic in itself with a custom figure 8 pattern engraved on the front of the mic
- the shockmount
- a wooden case for the microphone
- a splitter box and cable that runs from mic to splitter box. You'll need two XLR cables to get the stero signal out of the splitter box.
- shipping charges to your home
- a limited warranty for defects

2. PRICE

198$ per microphone, all expenses included.
368$ for two microphones or more, all expenses included.

The slight raise in price is due to Paypal fees who are in fact more expensive than what I thought; I must have misunderstood how it worked.

For non EU, USA or Canada residents, please contact me before sending any money as there will be extra shipping charges for you(around 18/20 US$)

3.THE WARRANTY

It's quite simple : I will order 1 extra microphone per 10 units and a few extra ribbon motors for repair. So if you receive a broken unit you can send it back to me, if I can't repair it I'll send a replacement mic free of charge. The return shipping charges would be on your part though. The warranty is limited 1. In number. But I think more than 10% defect units are VERY unlikely 2. In time : once I have sent every mic, I'll wait a few weeks so can check for defects.

4.WAIT TIME

From today there will be three weeks for payment, 40 days of boat shipping, a week for taking care of customs (it shouldn't be that long, but you never know with customs) and maybe two or three weeks to send all the mics, a week to get the microphone to your home. That's a bit more than 3 months which takes us to mid-June. I know it's a long time to wait but airmailing the microphones from Shangai would have been WAY too expensive.

5.SOME MORE INFO

For non EU residents and customs charges, I'll send the packages as gift, which IMO is fair as you will already have paid for taxes. Basically the transaction is like : you give some money to one of your friends so he can buy something in his country and he sends it back to you...

For more info, please check out the board at http://www.freepowerboards.com/stereoribbon/index.php or send me an email.

I'll answer to everyone, including on the forums, just give me some time.

Thanks,
Victor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------
Salut ? tous!

Ca y est, on l'a fait!!! On a assez d'inscrits pour lancer la machine.

Je commence ? rassembler le solde d?s maintenant par Paypal seulement en dollar US ? l'adresse suivante

Je laisse trois semaines pour rassembler le total.
N'oubliez pas de me rajouter un petit mot avec votre adresse, nombre de micros etc. pour me faciliter les choses quand vous transferez le paiemant par Paypal.

Une petite r?cap :

1. LE MICROPHONE

Specifications

* Type: Stereo Ribbon Microphone
* Ribbon Dimensions: 2.5 micron thick
* Polar pattern: Figure 8
* Sensitivity: -52 dB (+/- 2 dB)
* Frequency response: 30 to -15,000 Hz (+/- 3dB)
* Rated Impedance : 600 Ohms
* Max.SPL (1% THD @1000 Hz): 130 dB
* Connector: Heavy gauge 5-Pin male XLR

Photos

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/t ... on01-1.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/t ... bbon03.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/t ... bbon02.jpg

Quand tu ach?tes un micro, tu ach?tes:

- le micro ? ruban st?r?o avec un logo figure 8 custom grav? ? l'avant du mic.
- la suspension
- une boite en bois pour le microphone
- un boitier splitter qui divise le son de la source en deux sorties mono
- frais de port jusque chez vous
- la garantie contre d?faut de fabrication

2. PRIX

198$ par microphone, tout inclu re?u chez vous.

368$ pour deux mics, tout inclu re?u chez vous, c'est moins cher afin d'encourager les interess?s soit ? commander plusieurs micros, soit ? r?unir des autres personnes autour d'eux.

La petite hausee de prix est d?e aux frais Paypal que j'avais mal compris.

3.LA GARANTIE

Cette garantie sera limit?e en nombre et en temps, ? savoir je commanderai 1 microphone de plus par dizaine d'unit?s et

quelques moteurs ? ruban. Ce qui devrait couvrir 10% d'?ventuels micros d?fectueux.

Les frais de port de retour seront ? la charge de l'acheteur malchanceux mais pas ceux pour renvoyer un remplacement.

Toute personne achetant un micro paye donc un peu pour cette garantie, ce qui me para?t juste.

Si au bout d'une semaine ou deux, aucun probl?me n'est d?cel?, je remettrai en vente ces micros, sans doute par le m?me biais..

Peut-?tre que 10% de couverture ?a fait beaucoup, je ne sais pas. Moins de couverture = moins cher ? l'achat mais une possibilit? r?duite de remplacement.

4. TEMPS D'ATTENTE

3 semaines de p?riode de paiement + 40 jours de bateau + 1semaine pour la douane (je pr?f?re compter large avec ces en******), et max 3 semaines pour le dispatch, ce qui nous am?ne ? mi-Juin. Je sais c'est long mais envoyer les micros par avion de Chine aurait co?t? bien trop cher.

Des questions, suggestions, envoyez moi un mail ou participez au forums. Je r?pondrai ? tout et ? tout le monde, laissez-moi juste le temps de le faire.

Merci,
Victor.

theonlymagicalpig
ass engineer

Post by theonlymagicalpig » Wed May 09, 2007 4:54 am

What can I further say... You guys have responded quite well to the various issues of this thread.

People are still asking questions so I want to make a few things clear :

-shipping charges are included in the price except for people outside EU, USA, Canada.
-price is 198$ for one mic, 184$ per mic for two or more mics which is half the price you would pay in the real world.
-there's no need to register to get yourself a mic. (It was useful to know if there was enough people interested and to discuss various issues such as design, shipping charges and such.)
-THE GROUP BUY IS STILL ON until the 14th. I can't go further because the first payments were sent to me a month ago and Paypal will start rejecting them. And I don't want to accept them if there is no order to the Chinese manufacturer.

There is 5 days left and we need 53 more payments. That makes more than 10 payments each day from today which I see very unlikely to happen.

If this thing is not happening I will have no other choice but to whip those who ask if the GB is stilll on after the 14th!!!:twisted:

Victor.
"Always Pig"