Please help me not hate computers...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Please help me not hate computers...

Post by Evergreen » Tue May 08, 2007 7:48 pm

because i really want to like them but i'm having this small problem that is really a HUGE problem.

ok, the small problem is that i can't record and playback something AT THE SAME TIME. it records fine and if i just playback the tracks already recorded it sounds fine but when i hit that pesky record button all i hear is basically just loud distorted white noise when any of the previouslly recorded stuff is playing.

i'm using a lexicon lambda usb two channel thingy with cool edit pro 2. when i try it with cubase le, which came with the lambda, it works fine. the thing is I HAVE to use cool edit pro because the band that is forcing :) me into the digital relm recorded on that and has some of it mixed with effects already. i just doing some overdubs and the final mix.

i've messed with every possible sound option that this computer and cool edit has and nothing has worked. i even got the latest version of the lambda drivers and nothing. any ideas? i got the lambda about 9 months just to do stereo mixes from the reel-to-reel and it has worked fine for that. this is the first time i'm trying to do overdubs on a computer. i REALLY want to like and use computers as a recording medium but stuff like this leaves me a bit sour on the whole thing.

i think i'm going to hug my tascam 388 now.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 pm

No comment on the Cool edit pro. If it won't record while playing back, check your playback buffer settings in cool edit pro or wherever you can adjust these for your interface. Also, try to record to a different drive if available, while the previously recorded tracks play back from another drive or partition, for example the Desktop folder versus an external firewire drive.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed May 09, 2007 5:34 am

Bounce out a stereo guide mix from CEP, import it into Cubase, do your overdubs in Cubase, then export the resulting tracks back to CEP for mix.

Maybe?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed May 09, 2007 5:38 am

I never used CEP 2, only 1.2, but there was a setting for "enable playback while recording" that needed to be checked.

Going w. Mark's suggestion should be easy enough if you can't get it going.

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Wed May 09, 2007 9:00 am

If you've already confirmed your input / output in Settings->Device Properties and you're still getting the problem, Mark's is probably the way to go.

CEP2 was discontinued a couple years ago when Adobe bought Syntrillium and renamed the product Audition. Since CEP2 is not getting updated anymore, there could definitely be unresolvable problems with it and newer interfaces / drivers.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed May 09, 2007 9:39 am

I started on Cool Edit and I thought it was the "coolest" thing in the world at the time. Then when I moved to Cubase, it was like a light shone down from rock n roll heaven. I went back to CEP to check out some old projects and it took forever for me to remember how to do simple things. the Cubase program is so much easier and more intuitive to me that I pretty much forgot everything I ever knew about cool edit.

My point is, I can't remember cool edit enough to help you, sorry! But if you dig into Cubase a little bit I think you may really enjoy the benefits of computer recording and won't hate your computer. It's a super easy program to use. Plus I would dump the files into Cubase to do the overdubs and mix, if you could. It will be much easier, the bussing/routing is waaaay better and the plug ins that come with it will be nice to have at mixdown.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

gabe real
takin' a dinner break

Post by gabe real » Thu May 10, 2007 12:36 am

sounds like sync code noise. if you can sync anything in cooledit, make shure every sync option is off.( MTC, SMPTE, midi clock, or whatever)

yeah, cuebase is much better.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Please help me not hate computers...

Post by joel hamilton » Thu May 10, 2007 6:20 am

Evergreen wrote:because i really want to like them but i'm having this small problem that is really a HUGE problem.

ok, the small problem is that i can't record and playback something AT THE SAME TIME. it records fine and if i just playback the tracks already recorded it sounds fine but when i hit that pesky record button all i hear is basically just loud distorted white noise when any of the previouslly recorded stuff is playing.

i'm using a lexicon lambda usb two channel thingy with cool edit pro 2. when i try it with cubase le, which came with the lambda, it works fine. the thing is I HAVE to use cool edit pro because the band that is forcing :) me into the digital relm recorded on that and has some of it mixed with effects already. i just doing some overdubs and the final mix.

i've messed with every possible sound option that this computer and cool edit has and nothing has worked. i even got the latest version of the lambda drivers and nothing. any ideas? i got the lambda about 9 months just to do stereo mixes from the reel-to-reel and it has worked fine for that. this is the first time i'm trying to do overdubs on a computer. i REALLY want to like and use computers as a recording medium but stuff like this leaves me a bit sour on the whole thing.

i think i'm going to hug my tascam 388 now.
This seems to be the modern "classic" story of computer based recording.
Learn to use something, like a tape machine, then switch to computer based recording, and blame the computer for the learning curve.

When you FIRST touched a tape machine, was it awesome right away? DId you make amazing recordings that sounded like zepplin and the beatles on your very first day with your tape machine?

Nobody did. bring the same enthusiasm for recording to the computer world that you had whenever you got your first tape based reording device and you will be rocking in no time... making great recordings with whatever tools you want.

It is cooler to be able to work on ANYTHING, than to champion a format out of ignorance....

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu May 10, 2007 6:33 am

Buy a simpler interface, and make the band pay for it.

Hell, I've used my Soundblaster card on projects when I've had various interface problems, and to date no one has complained.

Other options:

Borrow the band's setup.
Remix the damn project (and charge them for it)
Tell them to find someone else because it's not worth the trouble
Etc.

EggyToast
ass engineer

Post by EggyToast » Thu May 10, 2007 10:52 am

Yeah this isn't a problem with computers, it's a problem with using old software. Even worse, most likely old pirated software.

Tell the band you're going to dub off each track and work with them in a program that was updated within this millenium. Cubase LE works with no problems -- therefore, the problem is obviously with Cool Edit "Pro."

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Evergreen » Thu May 10, 2007 8:59 pm

thanks everyone for chiming in.

this is actually my second time going into into the digital world. the other time was back when i had a digital eight track and the hard drive when bad and lost a couple days, very productive days, worth of material. that is really what left me sour. yeah, i know it was my fault for not backing up the data but still.

it looks like i'm going to try out my buddies motu and hopefully that will work.