line 6 verbzilla?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

line 6 verbzilla?

Post by runrunrun » Wed May 09, 2007 5:51 pm

a few ppl have mentioned these in my search for a reverb pedal. anyone here using one for guitar and/or other things? my other choice is the EH holy grail, i liked it when i tried it but many have said it has noise issues so that makes me a little unsure.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu May 10, 2007 7:12 am

Oh my I love the Verbzilla in spite of its asinine name. It absolutely kills. Much nicer sounding than the Boss equivalent...and though i had no complaints about the Holy Grail, I thought this pedal was a big improvement.

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Studio2roll » Thu May 10, 2007 11:34 am

I love the verbzilla, almost as much as my echo park! A great thing about the tonecore pedals (besides the killer sound) is that if you only want to use one or two at a time, you can still buy the sound modules to go in them for the rest of the line for like 3/4ths the price of a whole unit.
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu May 10, 2007 11:52 am

http://line6.com/tonecore/modules.html

This is genius. Seriously.

I've had a Line6 DL-4 that I bought direct from them as a B-stock item back in 1999. It still works perfectly eight years later and sounds great to me.

I'd like to have a Reverb pedal for my guitar rig/reamping/etc and have been eyeing the Holy Grail and Holier Grail. Is the Verbzilla really that good?

Oh, and how's the tremelo pedal?

Jeff

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu May 10, 2007 1:47 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Is the Verbzilla really that good?
I sure think so. It's probably the best digital reverb pedal ever. Super smooth. Go try one, it's not like it's boutique...

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu May 10, 2007 11:42 pm

I think the Holt Grail sounds a little better, but the Grail in my experience gets funky at higher 'verb levels, is way noisier, and has the annoying wallwart. I replaced the Grail with a 'zilla and don't regret it at all. The Verbzilla can definitely get pretty cheesy sounding, but at reasonable settings, in a mix, it's great. i've used it to run wacked out drum mics through as well, and liked it. Only thing that worries me is the longevity of that switch...

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Fri May 11, 2007 1:17 am

Yeah I've got one and it feels pretty solid although the switch kind of does look a little flimsy. It doesn't feel like it's going to break though. More importantly, yes, it sounds really good for a little digital pedal, the spring reacts sort of the way a real one would, gets sproingy if you do quick stuff on it. also i guess it's true bypass if you turn the reverb trails off

leefordwatford
audio school graduate

Post by leefordwatford » Sat May 12, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm really liking mine. When I tried it out in the store, I wasn't sure, but when I got it home, it really fit in well with the rest of my stuff. I was mainly after the 'octo' setting, but cave is very nice, the spring is pretty good (spent some time compairing it with the onboard 'verb on my Deluxe Reverb), lots of good sounds in it.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Sat May 12, 2007 4:03 pm

leefordwatford wrote:I'm really liking mine. When I tried it out in the store, I wasn't sure, but when I got it home, it really fit in well with the rest of my stuff. I was mainly after the 'octo' setting, but cave is very nice, the spring is pretty good (spent some time compairing it with the onboard 'verb on my Deluxe Reverb), lots of good sounds in it.
how did it compare to the spring in the DR? think you could tell much of a difference in a live setting?

leefordwatford
audio school graduate

Post by leefordwatford » Sat May 12, 2007 6:27 pm

out of tune wrote:
leefordwatford wrote:I'm really liking mine. When I tried it out in the store, I wasn't sure, but when I got it home, it really fit in well with the rest of my stuff. I was mainly after the 'octo' setting, but cave is very nice, the spring is pretty good (spent some time compairing it with the onboard 'verb on my Deluxe Reverb), lots of good sounds in it.
how did it compare to the spring in the DR? think you could tell much of a difference in a live setting?
The verbzilla was a bit brighter, and had a bit more 'springy-ness' to it (like it was based off a longer spring or something like that). In a live setting, I really doubt you'd be able to tell much difference at all.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat May 12, 2007 9:00 pm

Studio2roll wrote:A great thing about the tonecore pedals (besides the killer sound) is that if you only want to use one or two at a time, you can still buy the sound modules to go in them for the rest of the line for like 3/4ths the price of a whole unit.
Korg briefly had a line like this back in the 80s but it failed to take off.

only it was modules for a pedalboard.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Wed May 16, 2007 8:17 am

i love my verbzilla (and dl-4) as well. one thing that's awesome on the verbzilla is the ability to have a 100% wet output. i'm not sure how many other reverb pedals have this feature but it can be really inspiring to play live with no dry signal passing through (especially with the plate setting). i also got in on the buy one, get one tonecore module free deal so i can't complain about pricing!