Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bed eternity
alignin' 24-trk

arrested for recording the police

Post by bed eternity » Fri May 11, 2007 8:23 am

somehow i just came across this story

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 0440247937

i wonder why this guy was recording this. i would love to get a recording of something like this for use in my music. i never knew that it would be a felony though.

Dark star Balla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dark star Balla » Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 am

That can't be illegal. I'd do it.

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 am

I can't be the only one who thought you were talking about bootlegging a Police show.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 11, 2007 8:34 am

Wow, I've often thought of leaving a recorder running in my car when I get pulled over, you know, in case something bad goes down with the cop I've got evidence and it's not just my word against his...I never thought it'd be illegal wiretapping, esp. if the recorder were in my own car!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

bed eternity
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bed eternity » Fri May 11, 2007 8:47 am

dwlb wrote:Wow, I've often thought of leaving a recorder running in my car when I get pulled over, you know, in case something bad goes down with the cop I've got evidence and it's not just my word against his...I never thought it'd be illegal wiretapping, esp. if the recorder were in my own car!
seriously. i didnt even think of this. it seems like this law exists to make it impossible to disprove the word of a police officer.

and i also think its funny how you said when i get pulled over. is this a regular occurance for you?

manganeech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by manganeech » Fri May 11, 2007 8:57 am

It could only be construed as illegal if you don't tell the subject you are recording. You could put a bumpersticker stating that you may be recording for security purposes at any time - that should cover you. Even if he didn't notify the police officer, any half decent lawyer should be able to get that guy off on the wire tapping charge. What bullshit.

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Fri May 11, 2007 9:09 am

no doubt.
i mean, the recorder was in plain sight.
and it was in the car.

furthermore, just go to court and say you thought the police were terrorists, and you can do anything.

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Fri May 11, 2007 9:09 am

I used to live a bad section of north Chicago (Holla if you love the RP) and I used to record the cops badgering the bums right out side my window all the time. I even kept an Octava 012 on a stand by the window all the time so it would be ready. I think I still have the tapes too. they have since installed a huge pole with a camera and flashing blue police light 50 feet from where I lived and I am sure all crime just disappeared. Or just went around the block.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 11, 2007 9:38 am

bed eternity wrote: and i also think its funny how you said when i get pulled over. is this a regular occurance for you?
No, that was just a poor word choice. Though my brother used to get pulled over regularly because he had really long hair...so, y'know, the cops'd think, rocker kid, probable cause, and stop him and search the car for drugs. Profiling, essentially.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri May 11, 2007 10:10 am

Wiretapping??? He should just say that he was drunk at the time and didn't realize that he was recording. That'll go over well.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 11, 2007 10:36 am

That's bullshit! Someone should contact the ACLU. He was recording in his car, not in a public way.

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Fri May 11, 2007 10:58 am

Maybe he forgot to turn it off? Wiretapping? What a joke.

justhitthebutton
gettin' sounds

Post by justhitthebutton » Fri May 11, 2007 11:11 am

this will get thrown out. a good friend of mine does documentary work. he has been in numerous protests and marches with his cameras rolling. and usually an audio guy with a shotgun mic recording all to harddisc as well. he has only had one time that his camera was confiscated during a "police brutality" scuffle. he stood to the side and captured it all. he got his tape back after they made a copy of it. im sure its still on his website as part of his portfolio, because its so real and unrehearsed. in most states, just being behind the wheel drunk is not a crime, some states have the keys in the switch rule, and others have the car must be running rule. im sure they are just bullying up on this guy. and honestly, did they have a search warrant for the car at 2:54 am?
can it really look better than it sounds?

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Fri May 11, 2007 1:19 pm

whether it gets thrown out or not, in some localities, it's illegal to tape someone without their knowledge.

there's a difference between someone at a protest rally with a boom mic and someone sitting in their car with a not-in-plain-sight recording device, or a recording device that's not immediately recognizable as such (if I see an iPod, I don't automatically think it's in record mode).
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:57 pm

jonnymo wrote:I can't be the only one who thought you were talking about bootlegging a Police show.
LOL !!!!! LMFAO !!!!
- Brad