Mac OS archived reinstall. Now Pro Tools won't start. Help!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crimsonking
alignin' 24-trk

Mac OS archived reinstall. Now Pro Tools won't start. Help!

Post by crimsonking » Fri May 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Me:

Power Mac PowerPC G5 OS 10.4.9

PT LE 7.(whatever the latest is)

Digi 002 Rack

Here's the deal. I brought my computer in because a bad video card was making it behave strangely. The repair people ran diagnostics and suggested I should probably also reinstall my OS. I said, "I'm a Pro Tools user -- it's my main thing, and I get nervous about that kind of crap." They said they'd do an archived reinstall and my settings would stay the same.

And they have, for everything but PT, which I can't open. The application and all of the files are still very much there, but when I click on the icon, it simply bounces once (not twice and start-up) then does nothing.

Also, the 002 hardware is not appearing in the Sounds setting in Preferences. I'm pretty sure it ain't the firewire cable, because if you launch PT without the 002 turned on, it always goes through the first cycle of start up before it notices that the hardware is missing. And that's not happening now.

I don't want to uninstall and reinstall PT, because I've already paid for so many downloadable updates, and the version I installed from disc was way earlier.

Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions?

-casey
"I am like a caged animal born into captivity... But where a beast has claws and fangs, I have talent."

-Klaus Kinski

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 pm

Did you run Software Update after the Archive and Reinstall? Or, confirm that you're running 10.4.9?

If you do or did that and it still isn't working, you should be able to re-download paid downloaded software updates from digidesign.com through your online account w/ them...

crimsonking
alignin' 24-trk

Post by crimsonking » Sat May 12, 2007 6:04 am

jonnymo wrote:Did you run Software Update after the Archive and Reinstall? Or, confirm that you're running 10.4.9?.
Yeah, actually I DL's the 10.4.9 update that Digi suggested. Turns out, the new update is generally unsupported. My repair guys, when reinstalling my archived OS, updated me without knowing this. Which, now, of course has screwed me.
"I am like a caged animal born into captivity... But where a beast has claws and fangs, I have talent."

-Klaus Kinski

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Mon May 14, 2007 8:26 am

Well you could either go through the repair guys again, or just re-archive and install yourself...it's a semi-easy process and there's lots of google-able manuals on how to do it.

crimsonking
alignin' 24-trk

Post by crimsonking » Mon May 14, 2007 10:37 am

Actually, I uninstalled and re-installed PT, and it fixed THAT problem. Unfortunately, now a few third-party apps (Reason, Guru, RTAS to VST Wrapper) are no longer showing up. I've tried a total uninstall and re-install of GURU and the Wrapper, to no avail. Any tips there? Could repairing permissions in Disc Utility help?

-Klaus Kinski

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue May 15, 2007 6:27 am

crimsonking wrote:Unfortunately, now a few third-party apps (Reason, Guru, RTAS to VST Wrapper) are no longer showing up. I've tried a total uninstall and re-install of GURU and the Wrapper, to no avail. Any tips there? Could repairing permissions in Disc Utility help?
Make sure you're really getting rid of everything associated with the program, and not just what's in the Applications folder. For Reason, find the Propellerhead folder in Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support and User/Library/Application Support and trash both of those.

For Guru and the Wrapper I'm not entirely sure... I would do a find (Apple + f) for anything named "Guru" or "VST to RTAS" or "FXpansion," and trash those before re-installing.
jonnymo wrote:Well you could either go through the repair guys again, or just re-archive and install yourself...it's a semi-easy process and there's lots of google-able manuals on how to do it.
Archive and install will render a lot of recording applications useless and unauthorized.

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Tue May 15, 2007 8:48 am

palinilap wrote:
crimsonking wrote:Unfortunately, now a few third-party apps (Reason, Guru, RTAS to VST Wrapper) are no longer showing up. I've tried a total uninstall and re-install of GURU and the Wrapper, to no avail. Any tips there? Could repairing permissions in Disc Utility help?
Make sure you're really getting rid of everything associated with the program, and not just what's in the Applications folder. For Reason, find the Propellerhead folder in Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support and User/Library/Application Support and trash both of those.

For Guru and the Wrapper I'm not entirely sure... I would do a find (Apple + f) for anything named "Guru" or "VST to RTAS" or "FXpansion," and trash those before re-installing.
jonnymo wrote:Well you could either go through the repair guys again, or just re-archive and install yourself...it's a semi-easy process and there's lots of google-able manuals on how to do it.
Archive and install will render a lot of recording applications useless and unauthorized.
Agreed w/ your suggestion re: OP's issues.

Re: Archive and install, it's certainly not the first step in the diagnostic process, but I thought he was saying he was stuck with a pre-10.4.9 version of PT on a 10.4.9 install...which upon re-reading, was not the case. And yes it does force you to re-authorize your apps. But I had to do one when I lost the Rosetta architecture after bungling around with Monolingual, and I had nothing worse happen to me than having to re-enter serial numbers.

crimsonking
alignin' 24-trk

Post by crimsonking » Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 am

Yeah, I pretty much have it all figured out at this point. It was definitely a pain in the ass, though. It's always good to geek out on a board while you're suffering the indignities of upgrading.

Thanks all,

-casey

-Klaus Kinski