Anyone use Pendulum audio mic pres?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dark star Balla
alignin' 24-trk

Anyone use Pendulum audio mic pres?

Post by Dark star Balla » Sat May 12, 2007 6:47 pm

I was @ GC today and I was looking at the 6176 again and one of the reps brought out that pre and swore it blows all away? But it was so packed there we couldn't really check it out. Does anyone have any experience with their products. But with a price tag of around $4,400.00!!!!!! But is it really worth it?

Roc Mixwell
audio school graduate

Pendulum QII

Post by Roc Mixwell » Thu May 17, 2007 10:39 am

Are you referring to the Quartet II Mercenary Edition or the Quartet? The guy @ GC should have taken it out of the package and hooked it up for you if he showed it to you, don't ya think??

The QII is a full featured channel strip with everything you need to get rolling. It has way more features than the UA 6176, like the switchable transformers (full & focused) that will give you the ability to change the overall tone, giving you a wider pallet of sounds that you can achieve.

The QII has much more detail, and depth than the UA stuff. Most people are under the assumption that ALL tube gear has to be overly warm and TOOOBY, but this is just not the case at all. The Pendulum line has a very accurate and defined tone that works well on everything from snare to vocals. The QII works well with just about any microphone. You also get the transformer balanced D.I, which is killer on bass.

It has the Pultec style EQ that is incredibly musical, along with the Delta-Mu style compressor that can tame even the most aggressive transient without degrading the source. It even features a switchable J-FET/Mos-FET peak limiter for preventing those pesky digital overs!

Each element of the QII can be used in stand alone mode, even with a mic plugged in and passing to the output. Just patch into each section and take it out out the chain. This modular feature makes the QII a very versatile unit.

Check it out..
http://www.pendulumaudio.com/QuartetII.html

hope this helps
Give us a call if you have any questions about the Pendulum Line.

peace
mixwell

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Thu May 17, 2007 11:41 am

I am using a Pendulum MDP-1 2 channel preamp (http://www.mercenary.com/mdvactubmicd.html) that I purchased from Mercenary on a recommendation from Fletcher as a compliment to my Great River MP2-NV. If you aren't dead set on the channel strip concept, it's a fantastic sounding pre and it's a lot less that the Quartet. Very hi-fi, but capable of getting quite nasty in a totally different way than the GR when you push it hard. Also, the variable hi-pass filter is really useful. Additionally, it can accept mic, instrument and line level input sources so running drum subs, or even full mixes back through it makes for some interesting possibilities as well. I highly recommend it!

OK - I'm done pimping gear for the day.

Regards, Brett