Small, compact, portable computer display

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Small, compact, portable computer display

Post by Tims96 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm thinking of abandoning my Powerbook G4 and getting a Mac Mini to use for recording. The only issue I have is that I need a display, but I travel a lot, making big displays not so desirable.

Does anyone know of any small displays that are easy to transport (can be folded flat or easily disassemble?)?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue May 22, 2007 10:26 am

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a Macbook or some other laptop?

EggyToast
ass engineer

Post by EggyToast » Tue May 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Any small monitor that packs small and lets you easily transport it is going to cost more than an average 15" LCD monitor. Not to mention the extra cables.

While a MacBook does cost more than a MacMini, I would imagine the fact that it's inherently portable, compared to moderately portable contingent upon finding a good monitor, is enough to make the price difference, after accounting for a monitor, worthwhile.

Unless this is because you want a machine you can work on at home for 90% of the time, but also want a machine you can pack away. In which case I would simply go for cheap and small, vs. intentionally compact and packable.

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Tue May 22, 2007 3:12 pm

don't know how it would work, or what adaptors would be needed, but I just got a portable dvd player that has video input. if it would look good enough and connect, it would actually be a really cool setup with a mac mini.

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Tue May 22, 2007 4:42 pm

the other thing to take into account is screen size.. using a DAW with a crazy small screen can be quite a pain.
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tims96 » Wed May 23, 2007 7:25 pm

A new MacBook would be out of my price range. I'm definitely looking for something that would sit at home most of the time, but would be easily portable. I hadn't thought about the cost of extra cables, but I still think I'd be better off buying a separate monitor than a new laptop.

The portable DVD player is an excellent idea, I'll look into it.

thanks to all.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed May 23, 2007 7:47 pm

if your video card has an s-video out, there's a barrel style converter that will turn that into a rca video jack that should work with a portable dvd player.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu May 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Tims96 wrote:A new MacBook would be out of my price range. I'm definitely looking for something that would sit at home most of the time, but would be easily portable. I hadn't thought about the cost of extra cables, but I still think I'd be better off buying a separate monitor than a new laptop.

The portable DVD player is an excellent idea, I'll look into it.

thanks to all.
just use the TV wherever you are at.... ;)