Gibson-no more left handed guitars?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

No Gibson lefites

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:58 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:This is a completely ignorant question, but, why not just flip the bridge, get a new nut, and drill new strap holes? It would put the controls on the top, but on some guitars they wouldn't be in the way.
I have set guitars up for left handed customers. An SG or 335 works out pretty well. Seems like a Flying V would turn out nicely, or even an Explorer (FREAKY!!) or Firebird (a reverse-non reverse uhh.....). But what if someone wants......a Les Paul? Or an ES175? They would lose access to a considerable part of the fingerboard. And really, while it seems like the knobs and switches wouldn't be in the way, they would be. Acoustic guitars are another scenario, you would have to cut a wide straight slot for the saddle and custom fabricate. No going back to stock if you decide to sell later. And all of this would cost money. Still, a lot of guitars have been flipped. Cracks me up when a left-handed Strat gets flipped over so the player can "look like Hendrix" :roll: :lol:
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:57 pm

Eh, it shuts the shareholders up. A friend of mine just bought a pair of J45's for tour and they kicked ass. They were setup by a local shop, so I didn't see them out of the box, but they sounded great. C'mon it's not like JBL, Electrovoice, Crown, Fender, Shure, Yamaha, Tascam, AKG, Audio Technica, Focusrite, Alesis, Allen and Heath, Digidesign, and a few others don't cut a shit ton of corners for pure profit. I'm sure Gibson will get shitty, get bought out, then return to their former glory then go through this whole process again.

JBL is especially bad about this. Their new speaker lines blow hard. They need to show the shareholders that they are working for more profit. That's all.

Ian

Cuse
audio school

Post by Cuse » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:08 pm

Buying a righty to switch it up seems like buying a brand new car in a color I don't like and then painting it. Not a big deal on something cheap, but it's just not an option on something costing thousands of dollars. I doubt a righty would even consider doing the opposite (say if their favorite model was discontinued or something).

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

'69 Gibson Lefty LP Custom Black Beauty

Post by channelcat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Cuse wrote:And before you say "get a used one," let me tell you, it's flippin' hard to find a used lefty LP.
I just ran into a lefty Black Beauty at this site.
http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/
No price listed, but I think it'd be worth a call if you're in the market.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up an Ibanez LP copy about 15 years ago. And it was cheap too; under $400 if I remember right. I had only been playing for a couple years, and didn't know that Ibanez made a decent LP copy.

Best of luck in your hunt!
Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

RYCLEA
audio school graduate

?????? ???????

Post by RYCLEA » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:56 pm

????? ???? ?? ?????? ?????? ??? ???? ??????? ?? ???????? ?? ???????? ?? ? ??????? ????? ? ?? ?? ????? ????? ???? ???????? ??? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???????? ??? ???????? ?? ?????? ???? ?????? ???? ?? ???????? (?? ??? ???? ??? ?????? ???? ?? ??????? ???????? ??? ??????? ???? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ???? ? ?????)