What book should I get?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sheeptuf
alignin' 24-trk

What book should I get?

Post by sheeptuf » Tue May 22, 2007 6:30 pm

I would love to find the end all be all of recording books. The goto handbook for everything. If I wasn't a Christian, I would say the "bible" of recording, but I don't like to say that. I think you get the picture.

I need something to show all show micing techniques, mixing, maybe even mastering.

Does such an animal exist?

Thanks - Tuf

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue May 22, 2007 9:12 pm

*consults bibliography*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

sheeptuf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by sheeptuf » Wed May 23, 2007 8:23 pm

RefD wrote:*consults bibliography*
I am not sure what this means. Is this a book? I searched for it and nothing came up.

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Thu May 24, 2007 6:48 am

"Mixing Engineers Handbook" and "Recording Engineer's Handbook" are both very good in my opinion. Also, "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz.

If you can get those three books I personally don't see why you'd need to get anything else. Except Tapeop. You need Tapeop.

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Thu May 24, 2007 7:43 pm

'modern recording techniques' by david miles huber is pretty well regarded, and fairly comprehensive. make sure you get the tape op book, too :)

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Fri May 25, 2007 10:39 am

The only problem with purchasing the end all be all book(s) is that it might lead you to rely on those sources too heavily.

I'll give you two examples of free internet articles that IMO are a must-read for anyone without a vast amount of experience in the recording game. Jezar's How To Mix a Pop Song From Scratch and Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell

Reference books can be a good place to start but the best ideas and information I've come across have been from other places. I have two of the books mentioned above and after skimming through when I bought them I haven't used them much.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri May 25, 2007 10:59 am

Don't limit yourself to just one book (where did this idea come from anyway?). I own most of the popular titles mentioned here & in other forums. I constantly re-read them & learn something new every time I do. Each time I wonder how I could have missed this or that tid-bit of information. All of them have refined my methods as well as improved my results. Reading everytning you can get your hands on will let you know that everyone does not possess the same "secret weapon". Different methods can yield different results, by the same token there are several different methods which can achieve similar results... Choices is good! For the most part though, they are just plain fun to read.....Enjoy!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri May 25, 2007 9:30 pm

sheeptuf wrote:
RefD wrote:*consults bibliography*
I am not sure what this means. Is this a book? I searched for it and nothing came up.
do many papers at uni?

a bibliography is the part of a paper where you cite the sources (printed and perhaps otherwise, i suppose) you used in your research.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin biblia, from Greek, pl. of biblion, book, diminutive of biblos, papyrus, book, from Bublos, Byblos.]

Bi?ble (plural Bi?bles)

noun
Definition:

1. The sacred book of Christianity, a collection of ancient writings including the books of both the Old Testament and the New Testament.
2. The Hebrew Scriptures, the sacred book of Judaism.
3. A particular copy of a Bible: the old family Bible.
4. A book or collection of writings constituting the sacred text of a religion.
5. often bible (lower case): A book considered authoritative in its field.

it's just a WORD, but i definitely get the picture. :roll:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri May 25, 2007 10:08 pm

I will second Bob Katz's "mastering audio" as a great investment. This doesn't cover recording as much as the "recording engineer's handbook" or the others in that series, but it will teach you a LOT about digital audio and why it does what it does.

Another book that inspired me to think outside of the box is Paul Stavrou's "Mixing With Your Mind".

The reasons these two books were so helpful to me is that I already understood the basics of recording that is covered in many of the books that are out there. These two opened my eyes to things I never understood or considered before.

If I was just beginning, though, the best recording book out there is a subscription to Tape Op!

Roger

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:28 pm

Kasey wrote:"Mixing Engineers Handbook" and "Recording Engineer's Handbook" are both very good in my opinion. Also, "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz.

If you can get those three books I personally don't see why you'd need to get anything else. Except Tapeop. You need Tapeop.
THESE TWO ARE THEE books to get!!!! I've read them over and over and my the quality of my recordings has certainly benefited from the info. What's nice is the interview's section where they interview "top" engineers/producers. TO hear how they do things is really helpful. Amazon has them by themselves or a set. Pick them up - you'll only gain from them!

Another one to get is called "Behind The Glass". Again, more interviews with producers and how they recorded hit albums.
- Brad

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun May 27, 2007 12:36 am

bradjacob wrote:
Kasey wrote:"Mixing Engineers Handbook" and "Recording Engineer's Handbook" are both very good in my opinion. Also, "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz.

THESE TWO ARE THEE books to get!!!!
+1

The first two are Bobby Owsinsky's books, right? -- Guitar Center has 'em. They explain basic theory and also give practical tips. Katz's book should really be titled something like, "Understanding Digital Audio in general."

I would disagree that those are ALL you need -- but they're a start. A couple more that help me:

Alldrin's HOME STUDIO GUIDE TO MICROPHONES and Williams & Huber's PROFESSIONAL MICROPHONE TECHNIQUES -- These tell you a lot about how to use mics in different situations. Between Alldrin and the Owsinski RECORDING book mentioned above, you will also get familiar with how a lot of different mic models look and act.

The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook is another good basic resource, for starting to understand how the equipment works -- impedance, etc..

You might do a search through the archives of the MAKING A SPACE board here, to find books on acoustics. Biggest thing I wish I'd been told: you have to understand how your room affects your recording and monitoring.

Hope this helps . . .
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Sun May 27, 2007 2:22 pm

While you're waiting for all those books to arrive, I highly recommend the oft-neglected Tape Op archives, especially The best of Tape Op Message Board.

I've clipped and printed alot of the tips from the board, especially that thread, for my own authoritative recording text, call it what you will.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Post by gotpop » Sun May 27, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm not really an expert, but I really liked Dave Moulton's book Total Recording. In fact, having read most of the other books mentioned, I'd say Dave's is the one I still learn new things from every time I look through it. It's not really meant to be read cover to cover (ouch!), but digested in small bits.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon May 28, 2007 3:59 pm

Rodgre wrote:Another book that inspired me to think outside of the box is Paul Stavrou's "Mixing With Your Mind".
It is sooo worth the money.

The other links posted are really great. Again, this site and the magazine a taught me A LOT.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue May 29, 2007 10:28 am

Invaluable:

'The Microphone Handbook', John Eargle (RIP)
'Master Handbook of Acoustics', F. Alton Everest
Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook