Session going from ProTools 5.1 LE to 6+? OS9-X

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Session going from ProTools 5.1 LE to 6+? OS9-X

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Wed May 23, 2007 2:52 am

To make a long story short, I just did a bunch of demos on a G3 iMac with an M-box (Running OS 9.2 and PT 5.1) I want to move my sessions over to a G4 running a Mix+ system (running 10.2 and PT 6.?) so that I can finish the material without dealing with an overloading CPU/lack of RAM etc etc.

Does anyone have any experience moving older PT sessions from OS 9 to OS X and/or 5.1 to 6?

Is there anything I should be prepared for? Anything I should do to make the transition easier?

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Wed May 23, 2007 7:43 am

I've opened Pro Tools Free sessions (based on 5.1) in OS9 into Pro Tools 7 LE on OSX with no problems, just by clicking on the project file. I would just make sure if you're using any plug-ins (Waves etc.) in the 5.1 that you have a versions installed on the 6.? system. Also (common sense territory) keep a copy of the OS9 session until you confirm the OSX copy has opened to make sure no files got corrupted when you copied the session from the OS9 to the OSX computer.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Session going from ProTools 5.1 LE to 6+? OS9-X

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 23, 2007 8:09 am

Zorgot.Crob wrote:To make a long story short, I just did a bunch of demos on a G3 iMac with an M-box (Running OS 9.2 and PT 5.1) I want to move my sessions over to a G4 running a Mix+ system (running 10.2 and PT 6.?) so that I can finish the material without dealing with an overloading CPU/lack of RAM etc etc.

Does anyone have any experience moving older PT sessions from OS 9 to OS X and/or 5.1 to 6?

Is there anything I should be prepared for? Anything I should do to make the transition easier?
Make sure your audio regions run intact from 0:00 through the length of the song like they would on tape and ignore the session info. It's the .wav files that comprise the song. The session data relates only to what the last mix engineer did. Nothing precious there. Create in a new session in the newer version of Pro Tools and import the .wav files.