Soundcraft 400B

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pk
buyin' gear

Soundcraft 400B

Post by pk » Thu May 24, 2007 7:08 am

I just got a 400B (16X4X2) in great condition for an incredible price, just as I was about to drop much more on some new model (was thinking the M12). I won't have it patched in until I move into a new place in June, so it's in storage for a couple of weeks.

As this is my first console, I just wanted some thoughts on those who have worked on a 400B (I searched but not much on the 400, mostly the 200B, not sure how different they are in terms of pres/eq). What are your opinions, likes and dislikes, etc, I'm quite excited and smile just looking at it, I just hope I'm not anticipating nor expecting too much, but I'm sure it will be nice. All channels work, VU meters, etc...but the headphone output is the only faulty thing, should be a relatively easy fix. I'm still not sure how I will incorporate it in my Digi002R setup but I'll figure it out. There are no direct outs on the board, only inserts, and while I did buy it mostly for tracking, I'd love to start mixing OTB for a change.

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Thu May 24, 2007 8:33 am

I love my 200B! It needs a good cleaning, but the pre's sound great -- definitely an improvement over modern 'no-noise' pre's..

I use mine mostly for pre's, although I've done some work to tape.

Those inserts can be used as direct outs, depending on the cable you're using, you might have to pop it in half way to get the signal. I take the signal fom the inserts and go right into my Delta 1010.

enjoy!
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Thu May 24, 2007 9:33 am

Cheers Steve, thanks for that.
Yeah, I suppose I'd have to use a TRS 1/4" cable to do the half-way method, and then go right into the 002R line inputs? The guy who sold it to me said he was using the group outs to the computer, then just assigning which channels he wanted to record to the appropriate buss, which also makes sense, depending on the recording situation (at this point it's just me and occasionally 2 or 3 more sources at once, not more). As for a good cleaning, do you recommend buying some spray contact cleaner to give each input and output a little clean or is that more detrmental than beneficial-ie: take it in to a pro?

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Thu May 24, 2007 8:14 pm

I'm actually figuring out how to clean mine myself. I have a feeling it would involved taking the thing apart, probably work for a pro but I'd love to learn.
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:12 pm

I have a 600 series (16X8X2) that I dearly love. It's broken right now and I wish I could find someone locally to fix it. I always used the buss outs to go to my 8 track which worked great. The pres were always nice and the EQ seemed pretty good. I'm hoping to upgrade to a Ghost next year. Congrats on your purchase....
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

OneRoomStudios
audio school

Post by OneRoomStudios » Fri May 25, 2007 8:23 pm

I have a 200B that I recently completely cleaned and recapped. I also installed a pair of API 325 line amps in place of the stereo amps on the master board. I also added pre/post fader switches for the Aux's. Plus some other tweaking...

It sounds pretty amazing now.