compressors...same gain reduction at different ratios?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

compressors...same gain reduction at different ratios?

Post by runrunrun » Mon May 28, 2007 5:07 pm

i was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between reducing 6 db at a 2:1 ratio and 6db at a 10:1 ratio, with the same attack/release times. i can hear a bit of difference but cant put my finger on what it is. can anyone give me a bit of information on the differences/what to listen for?

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: compressors...same gain reduction at different ratios?

Post by Andy Peters » Mon May 28, 2007 5:09 pm

out of tune wrote:i was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between reducing 6 db at a 2:1 ratio and 6db at a 10:1 ratio, with the same attack/release times. i can hear a bit of difference but cant put my finger on what it is. can anyone give me a bit of information on the differences/what to listen for?
To get 6 dB gain reduction at a 2:1 ratio means your input has to be 3 dB above threshold.

To get that same gain reduction at 10:1, your input needs to be a bare fraction of a dB above threshold.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Velcrocore
ass engineer

Post by Velcrocore » Mon May 28, 2007 5:54 pm

I think you might be talking about a 6db threshold?

In that case, everything over -6db will be reduced either 2:1 or 10:1. If you don't have much going on over -6db, you won't be able to hear much of a difference.

If you set that threshold a little lower, you might hear more of a difference.

~ JB

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Mon May 28, 2007 6:46 pm

re-reading my post...i wasnt quite clear enough.

i am curious about the sonic differences between 6db of gain reduction at a 2:1 ratio and 6db of gain reduction at 10:1 ratio....regardless of attack, release, or threshold settings...just doing whatever would get the meter to say 6db of GR.

if i wanted to reduce the dynamic range about 6db, why would i choose 2:1 over 10:1. i know its a taste thing for the most part, just looking to hear opinions of more experienced ears.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am

Andy Peters wrote:
out of tune wrote:i was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between reducing 6 db at a 2:1 ratio and 6db at a 10:1 ratio, with the same attack/release times. i can hear a bit of difference but cant put my finger on what it is. can anyone give me a bit of information on the differences/what to listen for?
To get 6 dB gain reduction at a 2:1 ratio means your input has to be 3 dB above threshold.

To get that same gain reduction at 10:1, your input needs to be a bare fraction of a dB above threshold.

-a
yeah, that's not right at all. gain reduction of 6db at 2:1 means the input level exceeded the threshold by 12db. compressor reduced this by 6, allowing a change in the output volume of 6db.

at 10:1, it means the input exceeded the threshold by 6.6db, compressor squashed it back 6db, allowing output to change by 0.6db.

don't know if that helps explain how it sounds different, but it at least fixes the math.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Tue May 29, 2007 11:58 am

ashcat_lt wrote:
Andy Peters wrote:

-a
yeah, that's not right at all. gain reduction of 6db at 2:1 means the input level exceeded the threshold by 12db. compressor reduced this by 6, allowing a change in the output volume of 6db.

at 10:1, it means the input exceeded the threshold by 6.6db, compressor squashed it back 6db, allowing output to change by 0.6db.

don't know if that helps explain how it sounds different, but it at least fixes the math.
You're completely correct. Brain fart. Sorry 'bout that.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue May 29, 2007 12:05 pm

assuming the same input signal. set the compressor to 2:1 and set the threshold to where GR is peaking at 6db.

now change the ratio to 10:1. you'll find that you have to turn up the threshold to get that GR meter to again peak at 6db. you'll also likely find that the compressor spends less time actually reducing anything.

2:1 will be a fairly subtle reduction in the overall dynamic content of the source. 10:1 will be a much more drastic reduction of the peaks, but will leave more of the program material alone.

edit - i guess this also assumes a relatively dynamic source to begin with. If you're mixing square waves (or distorted guitars) you can get about the same result just through static attenuation (pull down the fader 6db).