What things have you learned recently?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:41 pm

The only thing about this job that is not completely subjective is 0dBfs.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:42 pm

dwlb wrote:The only thing about this job that is not completely subjective is 0dBfs.
green almost yellow.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:23 pm

trodden wrote:
dwlb wrote:The only thing about this job that is not completely subjective is 0dBfs.
green almost yellow.
Do you mean the square yellow, or the round yellow?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:37 pm

Andy Smash wrote:
trodden wrote:
green almost yellow.
uhhhhhh...... huh?

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:31 pm

trodden wrote:
Andy Smash wrote:
trodden wrote:
green almost yellow.
uhhhhhh...... huh?
Okay, this'll take a minnit so bear with me.

Author and theologian C. S. Lewis at one point described a type of question even God could not answer. The example he used was something like, "Is yellow square or round," the point being (more or less) that if the question doesn't make any sense it's not really answerable by anyone.

dwlb wrote that basically nothing about the job of recording engineer is truly objective. We've all been hit with statements like "it should sound a little more purple there, don't you think?" Or "this one sounds glassier than the other one." Stuff which is just impossible to quantify but must have some meaning to the person saying it. One would hope.

I'm just guessing that if C. S. Lewis had been an audio engineer and theologian rather than being a writer and theolgian, he might have had a lot of fun with this post. Just imagine:

Band member: "It needs to sound a little more yellow, don't you think?"
C.S.Lewis the Engineer: "Dude, even God couldn't answer that one."

www.andysmash.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Andy Smash wrote:
trodden wrote:
Andy Smash wrote:
trodden wrote:
green almost yellow.
uhhhhhh...... huh?

Author and theologian C. S. Lewis at one point described a type of question even God could not answer. The example he used was something like, "Is yellow square or round," the point being (more or less) that if the question doesn't make any sense it's not really answerable by anyone.

dwlb wrote that basically nothing about the job of recording engineer is truly objective. We've all been hit with statements like "it should sound a little more purple there, don't you think?" Or "this one sounds glassier than the other one." Stuff which is just impossible to quantify but must have some meaning to the person saying it. One would hope.

I'm just guessing that if C. S. Lewis had been an audio engineer and theologian rather than being a writer and theolgian, he might have had a lot of fun with this post. Just imagine:

That's cool, Andy. I didn't know that (primarily because I haven't read all that much C.S. Lewis).

i think trods was making a reference to the color of the "meters" in ProTools, that turn from green to yellow as level increases.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:26 am

See, and I missed the pro-tools ref. entirely because I'm not computer based... :lol:

Wish I could remember *where* Lewis wrote it. I just like the image of ol' Clive Staples pushing buttons in some mad studio somewhere, like a Narnian John Peel.

www.andysmash.com

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Post by cyantologist » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:27 am

Andy Smash wrote:

I'm just guessing that if C. S. Lewis had been an audio engineer and theologian rather than being a writer and theolgian, he might have had a lot of fun with this post."
- something i've learned recently. :D

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:35 am

Andy Smash wrote:See, and I missed the pro-tools ref. entirely because I'm not computer based... :lol:

Makes sense. 8)

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:10 pm

I also learned last night in order to run sound for a show featuring DJ's and a percussionist, the DJ's need to show up.

Tom

BTW now the mice have taken to drinking all night long, smoking something that smells funny, being loud and abusive and joking in a British accent. I think they're forming a band. Good Lord!
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:24 pm

floid wrote:
jckinnick wrote: before besides getting the to match.
i have recently realized (rather than learned) that three years of studying linguistics has taught me nothing about the myriad manners in which we humans communicate
8) :lol: :roll: :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:38 am

tonejunkee wrote:I've learned, thanks to the latest Tapeop that I cannot continue my life without PSP Vintage Warmer plugin.
I joined this club recently, and it feels like I'm cheating.. but man is it helping me with almost everything.
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:45 am

Andy Smash wrote:Wish I could remember *where* Lewis wrote it.
It's from A Grief Observed
C. S. Lewis wrote:Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable. How many hours are there in a mile? Is yellow square or round? Probably half the questions we ask - half our great theoligical and metaphysical problems - are like that...
Heaven will solve our problems, but not, I think, by showing us subtle reconciliations between all our aparently contradictory notions. The notions will all be knocked from under our feet. We shall see that there never was any problem.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:17 pm

dwlb wrote:
Andy Smash wrote:
trodden wrote:
Andy Smash wrote:
trodden wrote:
green almost yellow.
uhhhhhh...... huh?

That's cool, Andy. I didn't know that (primarily because I haven't read all that much C.S. Lewis).

i think trods was making a reference to the color of the "meters" in ProTools, that turn from green to yellow as level increases.
Yes, that is what i was refering too, the protools metering...

fun post though Andy

if CS lewis had been a sound engineer and a theologian rather than a writer and theologian... fuck, he may have not written the screwtape letters and we'd be out of a band name!

http://www.myspace.com/wormwood
http://wormwood.us

kearnsalot
ass engineer

Post by kearnsalot » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:56 pm

I keep on re-learning and re-experiencing that sometimes less is more.