What things have you learned recently?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

grinningidiot
audio school graduate

Post by grinningidiot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:20 pm

What has helped learn me about recording recently:

Recording; the trains by my house, planes, people yelling out on the street, rain/thunder. All helped me realize the difference between what I hear in my head and what comes out through the mic.

Performance; record yourself trying to teach your girlfriend how to play guitar, trying to get the cats to meow on tape. Both of these things taught me how to get the best performance out of your "artist". It isn't always easy!!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:25 am

grinningidiot wrote:What has helped learn me about recording recently:

Recording; the trains by my house, planes, people yelling out on the street, rain/thunder. All helped me realize the difference between what I hear in my head and what comes out through the mic.

Performance; record yourself trying to teach your girlfriend how to play guitar, trying to get the cats to meow on tape. Both of these things taught me how to get the best performance out of your "artist". It isn't always easy!!
wow, totally awesome advice there.

Jess P
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jess P » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:33 am

Son of a Biscuit...

Last night I was recording a band live at a club with my Mac PowerBook, 10 tracks 24bit 48k. I was using some new gear so I was a bit nervous about making sure everything worked right. I pressed record and everything was going smooth until halfway into the second song. It stopped and I get this error message:

Cannot copy file to the hard drive. Hard drive is either too full or too fragmented. You're f*cked.

Crap. Pressed rec agian. 5 seconds, same error message. Pressed rec agian. 5 seconds, same error message. I checked my hard drive space. 20Gigs. What gives?!?

As the second song came to an end, I had this thought: The bass was rattling the table my computer was on and maybe the arm on the hard drive was getting shaken around and couldn't write.

I picked up my computer in my hand and pressed record as the third song started. Success! I placed a bag under it and had no other issues the rest of the night. The band was cool about screwing up the recording on that song. Whew.

What I learned: Isolate the computer from vibrations.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:14 am

Crazy! Very good to know, thanks!