Recommendations for compressors ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

beef_wellington
audio school graduate

Recommendations for compressors ?

Post by beef_wellington » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:28 pm

I am not new to mixing or recording, but fairly new to high end gear. I recently picked up a Crane Song Flamingo and HEDD, and using a modded 002 as my soundcard. My next piece of gear will be a good compressor. I am pretty lost on what I should buy and thought some of you might have some good suggestions.

I am going for the 70s funk/classic rock sound when it comes to drums...and overall like the sound of vintage tube compression. A friend recommends the Distressor, for price and flexibility, and it is in the price range I am looking for. I guess I am looking for something that I can use for tracking and mixing, and something that will cover all my bases (drums, vocals, etc.). Later I can invest in something more specialized.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Beef

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:09 am

Drawmer 1968? I used a 69 (same comp circuit) for a while and it was top quality stuff. I'm getting one once I can scrape enough dough together.

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:18 am

You can't go wrong with a Distressor. I recently bought two.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:47 am

Here are a few I love for drum mayhem, along with other uses... I am excluding the stuff i use that is too application specific...

Neve 33609. Not the "c", just 33609.

That is the one compressor I can love for everything. Everything. Really. vocals, drums, bass, kick, snare, room, OH, drum buss, mix buss... that thing will do anything. Love it.

Distressor. Fun for certain things, certainly flexible. either one. i have one with the brit mod thing and one without. I like both. They are good. I will probably get one more with the brit thing at some point. maybe not.

Voce compressor. EVC-1. Totally obscure, amazng tube compressors made by Dave Amels before he did all the bomb factoy stuff. Can do room mic madness, amazing for many things. I recorded some great vocals with that box in line.

Gates 6144 tube limiter. 2 channels of pumping tube drum fun. Amazing for horns and other honky stereo sources. Can be amazing for strings as well.

symetrix 501. The poor mans distressor and 33609 in one box! I use one almost every time I mix something on drum room. Totally fun, will do "normal" compression things if you need it. Amazing smash box for room mics though, especially when you get the output distorting a bit.

EH NY2A. Tube smashing. with the LED setting, this thing will drive quite nicely. The time constants inherent to each light source help to "mine" something different in the room mics...

Spectra sonics 610. Amazing smasher. Will do tricks no other compressor will do when used on OH or room mics. also pretty amazing for snare sometimes. once you figure the thing out, it will reward you with some amazingly cool stuff.

There are a bunch more.

beef_wellington
audio school graduate

Post by beef_wellington » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks for your input. I know there are tons of options, and alot of them are a matter of personal preference.

I am also considering beginning with some good software compression, specifically the Universal Audio UAD-1 (with the 1176 and LA-2A plugs). I know it probably doesn't compare with the hardware versions, but it might be a good starting point for me. Right now I track everything uncompressed, so I am not necessarily looking for something specifically for tracking purposes.

If anyone has thoughts/impressions on the UAD-1 plugs, I'd be interested in reading your thoughts.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:18 pm

What about the RCA Really Nice Compressor ive heard theyre pretty good.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:28 pm

The UAD plugs are great. And, using them is a good way to learn about using compression before you drop a lot of money on the hardware.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Recommendations for compressors ?

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:26 pm

beef_wellington wrote:I am going for the 70s funk/classic rock sound when it comes to drums...and overall like the sound of vintage tube compression.
for what you said my best matches are a dbx 160 165a or urei/UA/purple 1176

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:13 pm

jckinnick wrote:What about the RCA Really Nice Compressor ive heard theyre pretty good.
i swear by the RNC's.. i have four and they are great for everything.. and used in "really nice" mode, they are great for mastering compression.. definitely not a "vintage" sound though.. they add very little coloration

Wainwright
gettin' sounds

1176 - is the one

Post by Wainwright » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 pm

An 1176 would be my recom. Good on evry thing... well atleast most things and it has PUKE MODE.
((( Sucking in Stereo )))

beef_wellington
audio school graduate

Post by beef_wellington » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:27 pm

thanks for the recommendations.

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:27 pm

lionaudio wrote:
jckinnick wrote:What about the RCA Really Nice Compressor ive heard theyre pretty good.
i swear by the RNC's.. i have four and they are great for everything.. and used in "really nice" mode, they are great for mastering compression.. definitely not a "vintage" sound though.. they add very little coloration
I use RNC's too, and while they are lovely and especially incredible considering their price, I can't say they are great at everything. Firstly, they are notorious for being weak with bass instruments. Secondly, I haven't found them very useful as "effect" compressors. they can't smash my drums quite like I wish they could... i reach for other compressors for that (though admittedly none of my compressors truly make me happy in the category).

No mean to bash on them, i love my RNC's! I just don't think they're great for everything. No doubt worth the money though, or even double the money.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:27 pm

maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but I have modded a couple of 3630 comps with different opamps, and I want more to try other opamps in. There is a difference based on the dips you use. I'm really pleased with them.

AstroDan
george martin

Re: Recommendations for compressors ?

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Beauty&Wonder wrote:
beef_wellington wrote:I am going for the 70s funk/classic rock sound when it comes to drums...and overall like the sound of vintage tube compression.
for what you said my best matches are a dbx 160...165a
These would fit the bill; used on countless classic rock albums, very punchy and bass friendly for funk - and were made in the 1970's. :)

The dbx 160/165/162 are classic and expensive but you can pick up a 'consumer' 161 (with RCA ins and outs instead of balanced), which is the exact same circuitry, for nothing right now.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: 1176 - is the one

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:40 pm

Lordwainwright wrote:and it has PUKE MODE.
i just blew snot all over my keyboard.

at work. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com