Apogee Ensemble w/Logic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Apogee Ensemble w/Logic

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:14 am

I read a really nice review of this in the latest Tape Op...I have been waiting for a seamless solution that works well with Logic without getting the whole Digidesign front end. 828 mkII isn't cutting it anymore for me....

Any 1st hand experiences on this (or limitations)? I am quite frankly trying to avoid going with Pro Tools and would use the Apogee Ensemble as my main tracking interface for acoustic stuff, etc.

Thanks

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Unless you are using more than one interface,Its pretty seamless and works very well with Logic. Make sure you are using the latest version,and download the new drivers and Maestro software update.I am using 2 of them with a G4,and besides the fact that you cant put more than one of them on the firewire bus,they sound great,lots of options for I/O,nice micpres with plenty of gain for ribbon mics. The hardware knobs are a little weird and they occasionally jump to full volume if you move them too fast, The push button mute on the volume knob is a nice touch and comes in handy.The most recent firmware update allows you to use it without the computer, although you still need the Mac to configure routing and software parameters.For the time being, the only way to use more than one unit is to connect them via ADAT optical,and you of course have to disconnect your main I/O to configure the secondary ones I/O configuration.Once that is done it works great.Not cheap, by the way.......