DIY isobox for computer....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

heybluez
audio school graduate

DIY isobox for computer....

Post by heybluez » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Hello All,

Anyone have any designs for a DIY isobox? I have a Apple PowerPC G4 and it is noisy.....and annoying. I want something to make it quiet and also keep the air flowing...i.e. keep it cool.

Thanks!

Velcrocore
ass engineer

Post by Velcrocore » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:08 am

Get a rack mount case and a rack mount shelf (maybe even a slide out tray?) You'll have to come up with some insulation / foam to dampen sound, and a way to keep it ventilated.

This is pretty sweet: http://www.custom-consoles.com/isobox-studio.php

Remember in the Eighties, when every one had their home stereos in those cabinets with glass front doors? I bet you could find one of those at Goodwill. I think that's what I'm going to do!

Here's something else that looks cool: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/sys/346198389.html

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:59 am

http://www.minhembio.com/eviltwin/34421/

Based on an Ikea "faktum" cupboard.

radical recording
alignin' 24-trk

Post by radical recording » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:51 am

You can build your own out of plywood rather easily.
The size depends on your computer and what else you'r going to need to put inside. Build it big enough to house your tower with enough room around it for airflow. I even pulled the side off my computer to get more air inside. Put removable doors on the front and back (velcro works good) with holes for the air to flow, put fans on the inside to move that air (don't run them off your computers power supply, hook 'em up to a wall wart with the right voltage,) run your cabling out the back, put insulation on the inside like they use for houses (not the pink cotton candy stuff, the stuff that comes in sheets about an inch-and-a-half thick) and you're good to go. I did this for mine and had over a 20db drop in volume even with the extra fans.

If it runs for too long I'll open the front door to cool it off faster and close it back off when recording. You can add wheels if you need to, but it wasn't necessary for me.

I think the total cost of mine was about $60.00 plus the fans, which I already had. Putting it together was easy for me as I used to build racks and speakers for touring systems and installations. Get someone who has a table saw and a nail gun to help you if you don't know how to do these things.
"Caution: I drive worse than you!"

http://www.radicalrecording.com/
http://roypeak.com/

heybluez
audio school graduate

more info

Post by heybluez » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks all!

Eskimo, I am going to take what you did and try to use it as an example. Question, how do you determine the air flow? I see you built a spot for two fans and then also another hole on the bottom...assuming that is a hole straight into the box.

Anything else I should know?

summersleep
audio school graduate

Post by summersleep » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:31 am

On a different-but-related note, my Mac G5 was making much louder noise than I had recalled...and it seemed like it was getting increasingly louder...couldn't figure out why...tried external fans, repairing permissions, etc....anyway, I was adding some additional RAM and when I slid the fan component out, I saw that the heat sink was coated with what looked like a blanket of lint from a dryer lint-trap! It was a full 5" x 5" and about 1/4" thick! I removed it and vacuumed the entire inside and now my machine is virtually silent. It's been a dramatic improvement!!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:10 am

eskimo wrote:http://www.minhembio.com/eviltwin/34421/

Based on an Ikea "faktum" cupboard.
Is that your design, eskimo? Either / or - it's my next DIY project. Very nice.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:01 pm

Nope, sorry, should've mentioned that. Not my build nor my design.
It's originally from a swedish music mag where they made one for in fact a G4.

From his description the air intake is the slot at the bottom on the back and the air then then travels through the bottom space to a front chassis intake fan.
The PSU-fan and the chassis outake fan of course line up at the big holes in the back.
This should give an effective circulation of air.

I'd suggest in addition you install digital thermometers to monitor the temperature.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:07 pm

I actually translated the important stuff from that magazine three years ago:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... &&start=30

They've removed the original page since though..
I'll check tomorrow if I still have the paper mag left and I could scan it for you.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:16 pm

And btw, back then I went for the lazy solution and drilled a hole in the wall and put the fucker in the other room. Dead silent for 30 bucks worth of extension cables.
Using an iMac today appreciating not having to bother with any of it.

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:13 pm

I have wanted to do this for a long time but my 3.2 Ghz P4 gets really hot even with 3 internal fans. I have thought about buying extra long VGA and PS2 cables and shoving the fucker in the closet but the multi-pins to my delta 1010's are only 8' or so. does anyone know if making these longer will impede performance?

BTW: I would rather keep the Delta boxes racked with my Pres than build another rack in the closet with the CPU.

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:17 pm

eskimo wrote: Using an iMac today appreciating not having to bother with any of it.
My girl friend had an I Mac that looked like a '50's lamp and it was loud as hell. It went: "Swiiiiissssh........ rrr...rrr.rrrr.......swiiiiiisssssh...rrrrrrrrrrr"
all the time. The G5 we replaced it with is sexy but just as loud.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:11 pm

japmn wrote:I have wanted to do this for a long time but my 3.2 Ghz P4 gets really hot even with 3 internal fans. I have thought about buying extra long VGA and PS2 cables and shoving the fucker in the closet but the multi-pins to my delta 1010's are only 8' or so. does anyone know if making these longer will impede performance?

BTW: I would rather keep the Delta boxes racked with my Pres than build another rack in the closet with the CPU.
I had a 1010 too back then, used a 5m (16 foot) cable and didn't experience any problems what so ever.

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:33 am

I had Silence Cases build a turnkey isobox for my studio's PC and it has been working perfectly for over 2 years with the cooling fans on all the time (and barely audible). You can also choose the wood grain to match your decor which is cool. Check 'em out.
http://www.silencecases.com

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:12 am

Hey guys,

Does anybody have a source for quiet powerful fans for an isobox?

I'm in the process of building one based on eskimo's link for my Radar II right now.

Thanks
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!