David Gilmours houseboat studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:55 am

Waters writes great lyrics but has weak music
???

Most of Floyd's songs were written by Waters (from "Green is the Colour, Cirrus Minor, Grantchester Meadows to The Wall....). The guy can write songs. Really. He's a good musician, too. Joe Boyd once said that his bass playing was the core foundation of Floyd's sound.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:20 am

Fieryjack wrote: his bass playing was the core foundation of Floyd's sound.
I can totally agree with that.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Fieryjack wrote:
Waters writes great lyrics but has weak music
???

Most of Floyd's songs were written by Waters (from "Green is the Colour, Cirrus Minor, Grantchester Meadows to The Wall....). The guy can write songs. Really.
prior to DSOTM, this statement is false.

starting with DSOTM, Waters wrote mostly lyrics and chords and it was fleshed out and rearranged by Gilmour and sometimes Wright and/or Mason (and later Ezrin) without much credit.

Animals and The Wall are prime examples of this.

the majority of Waters' solo work is musically flaccid, except where he's hired on other ppl to write and arrange the music for him.
Fieryjack wrote:He's a good musician, too. Joe Boyd once said that his bass playing was the core foundation of Floyd's sound.
indeed, who else is known for playing practically nothing but root notes and repetitive octave patterns?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:47 pm

RefD wrote:
Fieryjack wrote:He's a good musician, too. Joe Boyd once said that his bass playing was the core foundation of Floyd's sound.
indeed, who else is known for playing practically nothing but root notes and repetitive octave patterns?
Or allowing session players to play his parts for him sans credit?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:15 pm

Okay, RefD...let's see what a weakling Waters was when it comes to writing music:

1983 (The Final Cut) 100% of music by Waters (yes, I think this is a great album)

1980 (The Wall). 100% of music written by Waters except for Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell. That is 24 songs--not including the tracks that were thrown out.

1977 (Animals); Wrote music for ALL tracks except for one (Dogs)

1975 (Wish You Were Here) 100% of music for Welcome to the Machine, Have a Cigar, co wrote all others.

1973 (Dark Side of the Moon) Brain Damage, Money 100% of music. Co-wrote all others. DG contributed heavily with that Em/A progression on Breathe :roll:

Pre 1973 tracks by Waters:
Let there Be More Light (Saucerful)
Corporal Clegg (Saucerful)
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (Saucerful)
If (Atom Heart Mother)
Green is the Colour (More)
The Nile Song (More)
The Crying Song (More)
Cymbaline (More)
A Spanish Piece (More...ooops, that was by Gilmour :lol:)
Cirrus Minor (More)
Free Four (Obscured by Clouds)
Grantchester Meadows (Ummagumma)

With all due respect, it appears that Dave was more a contributor than a writer. Damn good guitar player and singer, I'll give you that. To suggest that he was a superior writer than Waters (for either words OR music) is laughable.

By the way, Waters wasn't the only one to allow others to play his parts sans credit.....Nick Mason did that too (Mother was played by Jeff Porcaro and Remember A Day was played by Norman Smith). Rick Wright....err, need I say more?

In the end, Gilmour made a mess out of what was left of PF.....it should have stopped at The Final Cut....

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Fieryjack wrote:Okay, RefD...let's see what a weakling Waters was when it comes to writing music:

1983 (The Final Cut) 100% of music by Waters (yes, I think this is a great album)

1980 (The Wall). 100% of music written by Waters except for Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell. That is 24 songs--not including the tracks that were thrown out.

1977 (Animals); Wrote music for ALL tracks except for one (Dogs)

1975 (Wish You Were Here) 100% of music for Welcome to the Machine, Have a Cigar, co wrote all others.

1973 (Dark Side of the Moon) Brain Damage, Money 100% of music. Co-wrote all others. DG contributed heavily with that Em/A progression on Breathe :roll:

Pre 1973 tracks by Waters:
Let there Be More Light (Saucerful)
Corporal Clegg (Saucerful)
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (Saucerful)
If (Atom Heart Mother)
Green is the Colour (More)
The Nile Song (More)
The Crying Song (More)
Cymbaline (More)
A Spanish Piece (More...ooops, that was by Gilmour :lol:)
Cirrus Minor (More)
Free Four (Obscured by Clouds)
Grantchester Meadows (Ummagumma)

With all due respect, it appears that Dave was more a contributor than a writer. Damn good guitar player and singer, I'll give you that. To suggest that he was a superior writer than Waters (for either words OR music) is laughable.

By the way, Waters wasn't the only one to allow others to play his parts sans credit.....Nick Mason did that too (Mother was played by Jeff Porcaro and Remember A Day was played by Norman Smith). Rick Wright....err, need I say more?

In the end, Gilmour made a mess out of what was left of PF.....it should have stopped at The Final Cut....
aside from drinking the 1980s Roger Waters Kool Aid, you haven't really read the album credits or done much research, have you?

Water did the lyrics, he cowrote most of the music (often denying a writing credit to his co-writers)...this often meant chords and a lead line, if that, and nothing more.

i agree Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell shouldn't have been done, but The Final Cut shouldn't have happened either, no matter how pretty it sounds.

imo, Pink Floyd as a "band" was well and truly dead by the time Animals was being recorded.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:00 pm

dwlb wrote:
RefD wrote:
Or allowing session players to play his parts for him sans credit?
HAHAHA, totes!

oh, and Mason was replaced by Poccarro at Roger Waters' insistence. :P

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 am

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I just ran into this, and thought I'd share... :wink:
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:08 am

Fieryjack wrote: Damn good guitar player and singer, I'll give you that. To suggest that he was a superior writer than Waters (for either words OR music) is laughable.

I love Gilmour and think he's the best (for me). But I gotta agree here... To me, Floyd ended with the Wall. Final cut has some decent stuff, but this feels more like Waters' first solo album "featuring" Dave and Nick.

Waters is fantastic is every area.
- Brad

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 pm

RefD wrote:oh, and Mason was replaced by Poccarro at Roger Waters' insistence. :P
On two songs with odd time signatures: "Mother" and "Two Suns In The Sunset," the latter of which was Andy Newmark.

Actually, the Gilmour-run Floyd had WAY more session drummers. Momentary Lapse... had Keltner and Carmine Appice and I want to say one or two other guys on it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Since we're flogging a dead thread:

>>>>Water did the lyrics, he cowrote most of the music (often denying a writing credit to his co-writers)...this often meant chords and a lead line, if that, and nothing more.<<<<

Are you sure you know what songwriting is????

Lyrics + Chords + Lead Line (if by this you mean melody) = (...wait for it...)
SONGWRITING. Simple and plain, that's exactly what it is.

BTW, it's Porcaro, not "Poccarro," or any other variant.

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:19 am

I liked "On An Island"

Not PF, but also not expected it to be PF.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Sheesh, david gilmour is a wanker. I wish someone would stick a limpet mine on the side of his self indulgent studio barge and blow it up. With a little luck he'd be on board recording some pompus guitar overdub.
After jug band blues it just useless alianated stoner crap.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm

nestle wrote:Sheesh, david gilmour is a wanker. I wish someone would stick a limpet mine on the side of his self indulgent studio barge and blow it up. With a little luck he'd be on board recording some pompus guitar overdub.
After jug band blues it just useless alianated stoner crap.

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:48 pm

And I thought Christine McVie just playing an organ on her yacht was indulgent! That reminds me...I oughta fire that documentary up...