Need new gear, but in what order?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rfbutter
gettin' sounds

Need new gear, but in what order?

Post by rfbutter » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:21 pm

So I'm working on upgrading my entire set up. I mainly work in the realm of hip hop and also dabble in instrumental side projects (Bonobo, Shadow etc..) and I'm trying to figure out what to purchase and the order in which to purchase. Right now my set up consists of an mbox, a soundtracs topaz 14 channel mixing board, and then the assortment of samplers and a few outboard pieces (nothing jaw dropping). The order I'm thinking is AD/DA, probably a used Rosetta 48. Next would be a good mic pre that I can use for vocals, bass DI, and my MPC. Not sure what to pick up yet, I'm searching old threads right now. Finally would be a mic, as my roomate has a 103 that will work for the time being. I'm trying to spend less than a grand on the mic, although if needed I can up the ante a little. Does this sound like a logical order? Any input would be rad, thanks everyone.
no war for heavy metal!

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:58 am

personally, I think that converters are overhyped these days as some sort of magic bullet that will make you make better records... they won't. remember back when people made great records on ADATs, DA88s, Digi888s, and 16bit DASH machines? people still made great sounding records because they had great signal chains going into these 'mediocre' digital capture formats.

I would go for a good pre/compressor combo and then eventually the good mic before upgrading the converters. You will experience a much greater jump in sonics with good analog front end than you will just capturing the same sounds with lower jitter or whatever...

then, once you have some good front end, and you have a chance to upgrade your converters, go for it, and it will probably help a bit, too... make the sounds a little easier to place, maybe a little more air....

i dunno, this is just my opinion, and I'm sure someone will have a compelling argument for buying better converters first, and then someone will say that you should spend all the money on acoustic treatment... and none of us will be wrong. different priorities... I go for the fun shit with knobs that make it sound cooler.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/