That 48 bit mix buss

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

That 48 bit mix buss

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:18 am

I took time to read those downloadable articles from the Digidesign site on their 48 bit mix buss.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?lan ... temid=5143

I was shocked to learn that the HD Pro Tools hardware and the stock Pro Tools converters are only capable of 120 db of dynamic range inspite of being a 24-bit system.

With signal-to-error ratio calculations we should, theoretically, be able to achieve 145.8db of dynamic range.

All things being what they are, if we run their 120db dynamic range system at unity gain, we are achieving little better than a +9 alignment with analog tape.

Question is, with a UAD converter or an Apogee, how much better does the signal-to-error ratio get if at all?

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:32 am

I think 120 db is about as good as it gets. That's the thing they don't tell you about 24 bit converters. At very best, you're only getting 20 or maybe 21 bits.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:54 am

I would guess that their dynamic range is limited more by the analog components of the converters, as opposed to the bit-depth used. Also, 120 dB is the average intensity difference between the average listener's threshhold of hearing and threshhold of pain, right? Do we want more than that?

Todd Wilcox

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:23 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:I would guess that their dynamic range is limited more by the analog components of the converters, as opposed to the bit-depth used. Also, 120 dB is the average intensity difference between the average listener's threshhold of hearing and threshhold of pain, right? Do we want more than that?
38 Screamo vocalists named Helen agree!

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Post by cyantologist » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:50 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:
GooberNumber9 wrote:I would guess that their dynamic range is limited more by the analog components of the converters, as opposed to the bit-depth used. Also, 120 dB is the average intensity difference between the average listener's threshhold of hearing and threshhold of pain, right? Do we want more than that?
38 Screamo vocalists named Helen agree!
- that was awesome :D

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 pm

I don't know anybody named Helen, but I do wonder how much good it does us to have more dynamic range ITB than we get out of the analog stuff we're recording and playing back through. To a point I can understand, but how far do we need to go?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:46 am

Whats the point? I was just at Lacquer Channel here in Toronto and Noah recorded their noise floor and played it back for me - it was a pleasant -75db. From my experiences at other mastering studios, this is actually pretty good. You're not gonna get anywhere NEAR 120db dynamic range or snr on the final CD.. I don't see why we can't be happy with 90-100 db of clean range on the recording.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:I don't know anybody named Helen, but I do wonder how much good it does us to have more dynamic range ITB than we get out of the analog stuff we're recording and playing back through. To a point I can understand, but how far do we need to go?
Math. The extra bits are good for more precise calculations while the audio is ITB. There, more bits is better, provided you have enough storage and processor speed to be able to work with it. For recording and playback, though, there's that ceiling.