TT PATCHBAYS

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

barrett
alignin' 24-trk

TT PATCHBAYS

Post by barrett » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:38 pm

I am looking to upgrade to a TT patchbay. I've been searching the net for different manufacturers and I'm finding many different options. Can anyone chime in with their experiences with some different types?

Also what are the pros / cons to the different types of connections? db 25 vs. solder points, molex or elco/edac or a punch block?
- b

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:26 am

I've had consisant good experience with Audio Accessories patchbays. Buy the frame and only the number of jacks you need. Solder directly to the jacks. I like Gepco single pair. Buy more jacks as you get more gear. Top quality, reasonable price.

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

Post by ivanovich » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:32 am

i've had good experiences with the audio accessories and switchcraft. all of my patchbays are solder type. if i were you, i'd get the db25 or the punch in kind. soldering these bitches can be a pain, specially if you intend to use the bussed ground configuration.

what i like about the db25 is that you can simply call up Chris @ redco or anyone alike and ask for the cable you need and BAM! you just plug that b!tch in. but they're also 500-800 bucks compared to 200-300. in my opinion it's worth it. you can reconfigure your setup fairly easily.

all this said, i'm about to get a db25 bay.

~i.

barrett
alignin' 24-trk

Post by barrett » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:42 am

i was leaning toward the hard solder type. that's what i've always been familiar with in pro audio. is there any quality difference with the punchdown type? how would you reconfigure a db25 if you decided to change something?
- b

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:30 am

If I were given a choice between solder and punch down I would choose punch-down every time. Be aware that you will almost definitely have to purchase a punch down tool to the tune of maybe $80 or more and you may have to spend 5 minutes or so learning to punch. The nice thing about punch terminations is that you can fit a lot of terminals in a small space and punching in cramped quarters is a LOT easier than soldering in cramped quarters (in my opinion, at least). A good pair of needle-nose pliers is also a great thing to have for punch downs.

Now, if you're not installing this permanently and using bulk cable, I would just go DB-25. The way you reconfigure DB-25 is by changing where the TRS plugs at the other end plug in. And usually those types of patch bays have a special system for changing the normalling (like a little tiny switch or something). If you punch or solder you can custom wire the normalling, but then again you have to custom wire the normalling. It's more work for more flexibility.

Hopefully that gives you some more information to go on. I punched ADC QPC and I liked the tool and the terminals a lot. I do a lot of datacomm 66 and 110 style punching and I didn't find the ADC system to be cheap or lacking in any way.

Todd Wilcox

barrett
alignin' 24-trk

Post by barrett » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:32 am

what about fidelity?
- b

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm going to talk completely out of my butt and suggest that the quality of the cabling, the internal patchbay wiring, the patch cables, and the TT jacks themselves will be more significant than the termination type in terms of sound quality.

My personal opinion is that if someone told me the soldering sounded the best I still wouldn't want to do it. I'd hate to have to change it, and I'm not good enough with an iron to ensure that I'd get the most quality possible with solder joints. Punch downs are more fool proof but they can jump out while you're punching and they can be a little tedious. I'd guess that punch down and solder would sound more similar with DB25s bringing up the rear.

Todd Wilcox

barrett
alignin' 24-trk

Post by barrett » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:24 pm

what about three pin connectors versus punchdowns? anyone have opinions there?

I just received a catalog from Audio accessories about to tear into it!
- b

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:48 am

All the custom TT bays I just had made for me terminate in DL's.

I like the multipin style. keeps things compartmentalized and neat, and you dont have to move the bays to work on something in the wiring. you can also change the terminations, location, or overall wiring scheme with relatively low effort.

Had soldered TT bays for much of my professional life, but went with DL's this time around because of the number of hours and dollars spent dealing with soldered bays built into "transitional" situations....

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:07 pm

what are DLs?

barrett
alignin' 24-trk

Post by barrett » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:23 pm

the DL is just another multipin connector like an EDAC or something right? what is the benefit from a fidelity stand point of a DL vs. an EDAC or 3pin or punch down etc...... ?
- b

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:58 am

I designed a new patchbay and Audio Accessories is doing all the manufacturing. It's absolutely of the highest broadcast quality with complete 110ohm wiring, TT on the front to DSUB on the rear, and QuickSwitch technology for changing both normals and grounding per port. It's a 192 point bay that is 3U in height and has large labeling strips.

You can read all about it here: http://www.audiolot.com/proaudio/sales/products?id=175

We completely sold out of the pre-orders we were taking and are already well into selling the second run which will be delivered by the end of July. These puppies are extremely popular and are rock solid with a lifetime guarantee.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

barrett
alignin' 24-trk

Post by barrett » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:44 am

in the end i'm going to stay with 1/4" due to the price of making the switch. i'm going to be set back some amount however because i do have to buy a snake to get to and from my mx-70. any recommendations on who to go with as far as snakes are concerned?
- b

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

Post by ivanovich » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:57 am

i've always had good luck with Chris over at Redco.com. always a good experience!

~ i.

barrett
alignin' 24-trk

Post by barrett » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:57 am

thanks for the tip. i've seen the redco name on the board several times. i'll check them out.
- b