List of errors in Geoff Emerick's book?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

List of errors in Geoff Emerick's book?

Post by Dr. Sausage » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:19 pm

Probably not the right place to post this topic, but oh well.

I read the book last week and I thought it was a great read, but I was looking at a bunch of sites seeing what other people thought of it and I see that Ken Scott has a lot to say about the inaccuracies in the book.

On his website he gives a few examples of errors but he also says that there a few lists going around detailing more.
http://www.komosproductions.com/index.p ... &Itemid=47
Again, these are but a few of the MANY problems. Since copies of his book leaked out, there has been a movement from fans and EMI employees past and present; all are shocked at what Geoff is purported to say in this book, as SO much of it is untrue. There are long lists of factual errors being compiled around the world to be released when this book is published. (The last list I saw was well over 100 errors, and climbing as more people read the book).
I tried searching google but I couldn't find anything. Anyone have a link to one of these lists?

edit: I sent an e-mail to him, but I got a response that no one will be looking at mail until the end of the month.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 pm

yah, his entries on this subject address many of the gripes i have with that book (including seeming to toady up to McCartney and constantly slagging Harrison).

i still enjoyed the book, but i look forward to seeing the corrected version.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:25 pm

I got an e-mail back from him. He asked what edition I have (paperback) because apparently there is a lot of revision between the two copies. I suppose he'll get back to me shortly. I'll post what he sends.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:35 pm

groovy. :)
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:41 pm

RefD wrote:yah, his entries on this subject address many of the gripes i have with that book (including seeming to toady up to McCartney and constantly slagging Harrison).

i still enjoyed the book, but i look forward to seeing the corrected version.
He does seem to be easy on Paul, probably because of his work done with him and he is still alive. Ken does bring up a great point, why does he give George so much crap for taking a long time for his guitar parts when Paul was much more obsessive with getting it right.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:08 pm

Just a guess, but from reading the book, I gather that Paul worked long hours chasing perfection, while George worked long hours to achieve competence.

OTOH this was all part of the group dynamic in the Beatles...George was the "little brother" who lacked confidence in the earlier days of the band, and nothing makes recording a part more difficult than a lack of confidence combined with having other people in the room who can do it faster and maybe better than you. Towards the end George got better, and the book points that out.

Funny how even today the Beatles provoke partisanship..."the book slags off George and favors Paul"...LOL...whatever...the book seems like an honest representation of Geoff's POV and I don't see how you could expect perfect objectivity from an active participant in such an emotional and unprecidented experience. Besides, Geoff was in his teens and early twenties at the time. It's The Beatles, not Global Warming.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:57 pm

"i still enjoyed the book, but i look forward to seeing the corrected version."

:roll:

This is a great book and was a pleasure to read--that's what books are for, enjoyment. The book is primarily built on Emerick's memories, which he is perfectly entitled to share however accurate or inaccurate. It is from his perspective, and last I checked, humans are allowed to make mistakes......(even the Beatles!)

Those slicing and dicing all the details and making lists of factual innacuracies really need to get a life. Now I understand John's comment about The Beatles being bigger than Jesus....Geoff Emerick isn't running for office or anything for Chrissake so leave the guy alone.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:29 pm

I liked the book, but Emerick really did go way out of his way to say how much he disliked Harrison. Ringo too, at times. It was disconcerting--if he had merely described their personalities rather than constantly making value judgements about them, I would have been more inclined to trust the rest. As it is, some of it left a bad taste in my mouth. It isn't a crime to be unfriendly!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm not much of a Beatles fan, and do not know a lot about the details of the subject.

That said, I'm greatly enjoying the book; his "voice" is cool and he makes you feel "there".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:59 pm

vvv wrote:...his "voice" is cool and he makes you feel "there".
yah, i really enjoyed it from that angle.

didn't Massey used to write for Music+Sound Output back in the 80s?

*tries to remember but can't penetrate the chemical damage*

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:32 am

I finished reading the corrected version (in paperback) last week and thought it was a great read. I found the stories behind the songs and about the recording sessions to be really interesting. But like some of you have said, I certainly could have done without the "beatle bashing". I felt he raked John Lennon ever the coals at time and to be honest with you, I couldn't give a rats a$$ about their personalities or quirks or all that "fan-boy" teen beat gossip crap. Just provide me the sober attempt to shed some light on the recording sessions and I'm happy. So for the straight-forward tracking info and song development stories and production "notes" I was entirely grateful. Well worth $15 at B&N.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:51 am

I just finished it as well (paperback), and couldn't put it down. I found the Beatle-bashing entertaining, as I thought that it illustrated more of Geoff's personality than John, Ringo, or George's. I always tried to keep in mind that this guy was WORKING during these sessions. I guess that we can all relate.

Anyway, very entertaining. Sad to hear that there are errors, but then again, it was 40 yrs ago.

Jeff

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:20 am

inverseroom wrote:I liked the book, but Emerick really did go way out of his way to say how much he disliked Harrison. Ringo too, at times. It was disconcerting--if he had merely described their personalities rather than constantly making value judgements about them, I would have been more inclined to trust the rest. As it is, some of it left a bad taste in my mouth. It isn't a crime to be unfriendly!
I'm reading the book right now. I'm about 2/3 through it and have not read anything that says that Emerick disliked Harrison. His point of view was that he didn't connect with Harrison like he did with Paul. I feel that he describes everything from his perspective which is exactly what I'd want to read from the author. People have to remember that Geoff's recollections are from when he was a very young man which can often be different than an older person't perception.

Before I even began reading the book, I had heard these kinds of comments and was watching for these things when I began reading. I really don't see these things in Geoff's writings. I believe that everything is presented in an honest point of view and does give credit when due. I guess that I'm not reading into it as much as others....?
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:15 am

I saw Geoff and Howard speak in Seattle a month or two ago. During the Q&A period Howard shut the door firmly on the Beatle nerds who were massing to complain about "not enough recording details" or "this isn't the way this other guy said it happened", etc.

His response was "this is Geoff's autobiography, not a How Did They Do It? manual. It's his story of his life with the Beatles, and that's how it should be taken."

About half the room secretly pumped their fists in to the air and whispered, "take that, Beatles audio geeks!".

FWIW, of course.