Electro Harmonix HOG

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:53 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:As bad as it sounds to me, I'm sure somebody will do something cool with it.
true enough. i'm often amazed what i find on inspecting people's pedal boards at shows. how something can sound so great, being run through such 'crappy' gear...obviously they're able to do things with it i haven't figured out. often it seems, a 'weird' or 'sub-par' effect will have unexpected utility in a role it was not originally designed for. that's the beauty of 1/4" connectors.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:02 am

I think the HOG is a pretty sweet pedal. It does take some time to really get the thing dialed in, but it's actually quite versatile.

The "insectoid whine" can be a bit much, but nobody said you had to use the top two octaves. At least it's a NEW insectoid whine, as opposed to the insectoid whine that the Whammy pedal or an Eventide makes. As with all gear, the only real limit to its usefulness is your imagination.

Anyhow it tracks really well, even polyphonically. Probably the most advanced "octave pedal" there ever has been.

FWIW, Jack White sure loves the shit out of that thing. It's all over the new record. As for me, I like pedals, but I don't use 'em anymore - they just get in my way onstage. My HANDS are the only effects I need, baby! YOWZA!

ehm, sorry. too much coffee.

[<|>]

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:19 am

I've always wanted a POG. haven't heard the HOG yet.

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Knights,

Sorry I got you all wowed up..... I never imply - I just simply say what I think. I wasn't implying anything, rather stating that "we" sometimes expect things to be cool right out of the box. That was MY initial reaction to the HOG, which went away after I learned how to use it to my taste.

All I am saying is mine does far more than an annoying insect whine, and I like it. I think it's powerful and versatile. I use it often, etc.....etc......etc......

Dude, if you don't dig it, then okay. You said it "sounds like crap". I happened to disagree....

joelkriske
gettin' sounds

Post by joelkriske » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:31 am

everything sounds like crap, and i'm sick of the phrase (no offenses please). the key is to make the crap sound good. And please no talk of magic amps and guitars... The real question is, can you make it work for what you're doing, and how
so green yr tasting the chlorophyll (fresh breath anyone?)

joelkriske
gettin' sounds

Post by joelkriske » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:35 am

wow
that was a bad response. make good music sound good, and make crappy sounding gear sound good.. i can elaborate on the last post if needed... BEER!!
so green yr tasting the chlorophyll (fresh breath anyone?)