Black Lion Audio mods for MOTU converters

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Edweird
audio school graduate

Black Lion Audio mods for MOTU converters

Post by Edweird » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:58 am

So Black Lion Audio has mods for MOTU converters and you can find them here. What I'm curious about is if it's worth the effort. Have any of you had this done and was it worth the money? I have a 24i and would very much like a bit more head room now that I have a decent set of mic pre's (Focusrite Octepre). What do you guys think?
~A box of lego pieces that may or may not fit each other is much more stimulating to a kid's ability to learn and explore than a pre-made action figure that walks and says something. -Carl Menezes

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:58 am

I have a MOTU 828mk2 that is modded with ye olde analog/clock mod that BLA used to offer in 2006. It smokes the stock 828mk2. I still have a stock one and it sounds like there is a blanket over the speakers compared to the BLA mods. I for one think that it is definitely worth it.

I am planning on having my stock 828mk2 analog modded through BLA this summer as well. It's my backup, but will also serve as extra inputs for full band tracking and I'll clock it off of the BLA clock in the other one.

Please feel free to ask me any specific questions, PM or thread.

Jeff