Super Low-Wattage Tube amps, let's discuss

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Super Low-Wattage Tube amps, let's discuss

Post by cashed checks » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:36 pm

i've had no luck using the fucking search engine, plus i temporarily don't have access to any high speed interweb. thus frustrating my own virtual shopping.

i'm on the hunt for super low wattage tube amp, no frills neccessary. something in the way of a 1/2 watt - 2 watts.

some Q's about these type things:

1) can you get a decent clean sound or are they mainly for blowing out and getting a low volume distorted sound?

2) anything out there under $500?

3) do i just go and mod a Epi Valve Jr and pair it up with a power attenuator?

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:41 pm

All good questions. I'm gonna give a pretty general answer here, so of course, it varies from model to model, etc, etc, blah blah.

I guess my first question is WHY do you want a low watt amp as such? What will you be using it for, what's your goals?

Generally, they ARE used to blow out and distort at lower/acceptable/studio volumes. Because that was why all the classic companies out there started making higher and higher wattage amps, for more clean headroom to make up for the shitty PA's (or lack thereof) of yesteryear.

I'd imagine you could get some suitable clean tones from them, but it'll probably be pretty quiet, and therefore, you'd suffer the consequences of trying to make up for that with your mics/pres (possible higher noise from turning them up so far, etc). That's what I ran into with my little 15w amp at least.

I haven't tried the Valve JR's yet, but a lot of people on here rave about them, so I'm sure a few of those peeps will chime in with some good suggestions as well.

Other than that, I need to know what you're going for before I could really give any other advice.

Ohh, wait, check for little Silvertone amps though, cause sometimes you can get em pretty cheap, and some even have this really odd vibrato built in.
off somewhere listening.

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:25 pm

I think ZVEX make a little 1/2 watt tube amp

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:40 pm

agauchede wrote:I think ZVEX make a little 1/2 watt tube amp
Great for overdriven tones, a little thin on clean tones (which could be fixed with additional pedals in front).

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:49 pm

kayagum wrote:
agauchede wrote:I think ZVEX make a little 1/2 watt tube amp
Great for overdriven tones, a little thin on clean tones (which could be fixed with additional pedals in front).
...and there goes your $500

I've been eyeing these little guys, Fender Champ 600's, for $200

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:13 pm

songworks makes the little lanelei tube amp in a 1/4 watt version.
also lovepedal makes a couple of 1/2 solid state amps, which you can probably find under $200.
i know a bunch of "boutique" companies make 1 watters as well and that there are some diy kits.
i had a valve junior and now have a carvin vintage16 (switchable between 5 and 16 watts w/ a celestion vintage 30). i also use a weber speaker attenuator. they both sound really good. i'm currently using an mjm blues devil overdrive pedal with it and can get some really good tones at low volumes. with the valve junior combo, i got some surprisingly good sounds with a behringer (shudder) to800 tube screamer knock off running into the valve junior with the weber going.
as cool as those low watt amps are, i'd say you definitely lose some versatility and you probably have to get a cab anyway so the expense gets s little out of hand vs. value.
________
Blonde videos
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

vier-personen
gettin' sounds

Post by vier-personen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:15 pm

orange makes the tiny terror - it?s not 1 or 2 watts ( (15 or switchable 7), but it?s designed to deliver overdriven sounds at lower volume....
I haven?t tried it, but it sure looks interesting: http://www.orangeamps.com/tinyterror/

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:17 pm

oh yeah-- the peavey mini-colossal looks interesting too-- 5 watts with built in speaker attenuator for about $500. i got my carvin vintage 16 for less than $300 used, shipped and i love it. if you had $500 you could spend the rest on a weber micromass and a set of nice tubes.
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZERS
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:20 pm

trask wrote:I guess my first question is WHY do you want a low watt amp as such? What will you be using it for, what's your goals?
all of my amps are high powered (50-150watts) and i'm looking to get something to record at reasonable volumes. I have a fair bit of knowledge of the 15-30 watt amps out there but don't know jack about the pros/cons of the little guys(the 'clean' question for example).

i know about the zvex and the kit from guytronix but i don't think i can justify the price. i was wondering if there's anything between those ($500) and the little 'smokey' amps ($15).

if i have to spend an arm and a leg i'd rather go with something 15-20 watt range that can also do practices/small gigs. i can see myself spending more for the triple duty i'd get out of it.

most of my music is of the OD variety so i'm not after sparkling cleans.

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:50 pm

for $200 i might have to try out that fender. i would love to rip it out and build it's own head enclosure.

i have been thinking about the guytronix 8-watter but i'd have to have it built for me. i would love to be a diy guy but things never work out for me. i try to stick to what i'm good at: music. plus there's a lesser chance of electrocution.

the songworks lanilei would be a conversation starter:
http://www.songworks.com/14watt.html

the orange tiny terror has been on the short list for it's switchable power.

i guess i should add what i'm currently using. i might want a different 'color' of these sounds but nothing too far away. 70s Fender Bassman, Traynor Reverb Master (based upon the orig bassman), Ampeg V5. All these amps get big clean sounds that i'm used to having to use some sort of OD/distortion. I'm not a marshall/boogie super high gain guy. i like mid-range grit.

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:54 pm

a Good Question per the Epi Valve Jr:

i was going to shy away because everyone seems to have one now. should i follow this logic (i tend to avoid fads) or are they far and away the best you can get for your money?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:07 pm

cashed checks wrote:for $200 i might have to try out that fender. i would love to rip it out and build it's own head enclosure.
Really? I think it looks great. It does have a speaker out.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Or you could hold out for Joe Malone's mini Champ kit, now under discussion at the jlmaudio.com forum...

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:58 pm

cashed checks wrote:a Good Question per the Epi Valve Jr:

i was going to shy away because everyone seems to have one now. should i follow this logic (i tend to avoid fads) or are they far and away the best you can get for your money?
i dug mine. i kind of wish i didn't sell it, but the carvin does everything the epi did but better.
if you pay about $30 for a hammond output transformer and like $15 in parts, plus know what the hell you're doing, there are lots of mods for this thing that supposedly turn the amp into a monster. its simplicity makes it a great little amp to pimp out. my favorite mod that i came across was the light bulb power attenuator and compressor mod.
________
Marijuana
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:02 pm

vier-personen wrote:orange makes the tiny terror - it?s not 1 or 2 watts ( (15 or switchable 7), but it?s designed to deliver overdriven sounds at lower volume....
I haven?t tried it, but it sure looks interesting: http://www.orangeamps.com/tinyterror/
I have one the distortion sound is AMAZING the clean sound is OK..with reverb though the clean is pretty good..it's not the best though..and it gets crazy loud..though it does gives overdriven tones at a low volume..