wall/ceiling texture....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

burnmore
alignin' 24-trk

wall/ceiling texture....

Post by burnmore » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:04 am

can anyone tell me about what kind(if any) of texture i should use on the sheetrock.im almost finished with my nightmare build.Its only a nightmare cause its me by myself for 99.3% of the time.Any help would be appreciated.

burnmore
alignin' 24-trk

Post by burnmore » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:09 pm

thanks too much.was this a dumb question or something?

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:50 pm

burnmore wrote:thanks too much.was this a dumb question or something?
there are no dumb questions but...uh, if anybody was gonna give you advice they'd need to know a little more about your room.... 4 sheetrock walls? sheetrock ceiling?
dimentions? floor material?

There's a lot of good free info about setting up rooms out there. The guy at Realtraps.com has some good diagrams and videos. Even if you aren't using their product you can learn enough about it to dial in some specifics on your question.

burnmore
alignin' 24-trk

Post by burnmore » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:43 pm

thanks,

The room is 16 x 24' vaulted ceilings (all sheetrock)and hardwood floors.I plan on building "superchunks" for bass absobtion and treat the room as needed for other sound properties.im at the point now where i have all of the sheetrock up, taped and floated.ive borrowed a hopper and I was wondering what kind of texture I should use as there are many different types.here are some pics from tonight.didnt have very good light.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:38 pm

that room looks great.

for starters....I'd go here
http://www.realtraps.com/info.htm
and read everything
watch every video.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:22 pm

Ohh cool, I was wondering how this project was coming along, I remember seeing the photos from the initial build.

No help here for your questions, but be sure to keep posting updates/photos so we can all follow along. I can't wait to hear how it turns out, cause it seems like a decent solution for a lot of us out here that need a place for tunes.
off somewhere listening.

redear
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by redear » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:45 am

I am not sure, but I dont think form an audio perspective it will make much of a difference. Just go with what you like the look of. There will not be enough mass or variation to chage the sound much for anything within our hearing perspective. I think.

burnmore
alignin' 24-trk

Post by burnmore » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:45 pm

the strangest thing happened.I blew on the texture and afterward the echo in the room was twice as bad.I havent treated it yet and mayb it was my imagination.who knows.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:12 pm

A texture like that will probably be audible in the highest frequencies. I'm guessing the "gloss" sounds different now, like there's an EQ shift in the 15k band or something.

It's gonna be hard to judge the texture now. Once the room is treated, you'll be able to hear better. Then, I'd guess you'd be able to pinpoint the before/after of texture.

I remember your build from the last round of pictures. Congrats, it's looking really nice.

redear
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by redear » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:40 pm

burnmore wrote:the strangest thing happened.I blew on the texture and afterward the echo in the room was twice as bad.I havent treated it yet and mayb it was my imagination.who knows.
Funny. BTW, nice lookin room

burnmore
alignin' 24-trk

Post by burnmore » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:25 am

thanks guys.Im almost done.Im going to try and finish everything but the floors this weekend.(i need to have the ac up and running before I put the hardwood inside the room for a week to aclimate)then I can install the beast.By the way lumber liquidators has solid oak unfinished wood for 99cents sq/ft.the reason its so cheap is that there are worm holes and knots in every peice.I actaully love the way it looks.and I hear more and more people are using it in high end homes these days.But I got it cause it saved me 5 bucks sq/ft.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:44 pm

The texture is probably more reflective on mid/high frequencies so the echo seems worse. We did super thick texture with no knock down and it looks cool, who freaking knows about the sound. In my opinion there's way more to worry about than that!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com