Tascam MS-16: AQ-65 Auto Locator DIY repair help needed

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

saintcarquinez
gimme a little kick & snare

Tascam MS-16: AQ-65 Auto Locator DIY repair help needed

Post by saintcarquinez » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:07 am

Hello, having some strange symptoms w/ the AQ-65 for my MS-16. The symptoms and solution are posted on a Tascam forum, which I'll re-post here, but it seems a little beyond me (replacing filter caps) and I'm wondering if there are any techs in the San Francisco area looking for what seems to be an easy/minor repair job:

"A while back, I was experiencing a very bizarre problem with my AQ-65. The display started generating random time numbers, etc.!

Thanks to some great help on the old TASCAM bbs, I was able to get the fix which was to change the main filter caps in the power supply of the unit and re-seat an EPROM chip that had developed some minor oxidization and static damage that was causing the logic of the chip to mis-behave.

The IC chip is the only one inside the unit that is on a removable socket and so, no soldering is involved in removing it and re-seating it.

The only soldering involved is in changing the filter caps which requires some minor disassembly to get to the power supply board which is screwed to the bottom of the chassis on 4 screws, pulling up the board enough to get to the bottom of it to de-solder out the old ones and solder in the replacements which I believe were 220uf, 25 volt electrolytic capacitors, commonly available at most electronic parts stores."

Thanks!

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:56 am

Anyone can learn to replace filter caps if they are willing to put a few hours into some soldering/desoldering practice. It is a skill worth obtaining.

lacquer_monkey
gettin' sounds

Post by lacquer_monkey » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:16 pm

If you can't find anyone to do this in your area, I'm in the Sacramento area and could do it for you.

jd
uh... what??