-Personal Crisis-

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kasey
pushin' record

-Personal Crisis-

Post by Kasey » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:15 pm

I know this isn't totally on topic with recording, but I suppose it is for the most part, and this seemed to be the fairly appropriate forum to post this in. I'd really love any advice anyone could offer, I'm really stressing out right now.

I'm about to be a senior in high school. I'm 17 and I live in St. Louis. I've been recording and building my own personal studio for the past six years. I've learned a ton within that time frame, and I think I can say without losing all modesty that I've become fairly skilled at recording. I've invested about $5,000 into my studio to date, and I've been recording local bands all summer, and by the end of this summer the studio will have almost completely paid for itself. I'm also about to start trying to get an internship at one of the few professional studios downtown.

I want to be a recording engineer. I understand how difficult the path to being a successful recording engineer is, but there is nothing more I'd love to do with my life.

With this in mind, I've spent the past year making plans to attend Columbia College in Chicago, to major in audio arts and acoustics. I realize that recording school is often sort of scoffed at even within the industry, but I figured the experience couldn't hurt and the environment of Chicago would sure beat a university in a cornfield in terms of opportunities it could offer me. Columbia is also a fantastic school, and I find it extremely attractive outside of the fact that they offer degrees in recording.

My parents both fully supported me going to Columbia, which is cool. However the other day my father suggested that perhaps I was limiting myself to a very narrow career field, and that maybe I should consider other things, unless I was absolutely 100% positive that this was what I wanted to do.

Well, I am absolutely 100% positive that I want to be a recording engineer. However, I am not 100% sure that I should go to school for it (although I'd like to, it would be fun), because I know that I don't need to go to recording school to be a recording engineer. So I began thinking about other things that I could go to school for. I thought maybe electrical engineering, but to be honest I think the math involved with that would kill me, and although I do find electrical circuits and such interesting, I don't think I could major in it.

So I then realized that my only other love besides recording (although it is certainly secondary) is politics. I can talk politics with anyone willing to day in and day out. I'm currently in the process of co-organizing a peace demonstration within my city, and.. yes, I do love politics. So now I am thinking that perhaps I should major in political sciences. A polisci major would certainly offer me a wider array of opportunities after college than a degree in recording would. That way, I could hopefully guarantee myself financial security, and then begin to seriously go into recording once I am financially stable.

I know I can (and will continue to) record and do music even while going to school for polisci, but I am afraid of giving up the environment that Columbia and Chicago have to offer. (I would love to study polisci in chicago, but the only school there that I know of that seems to have a really good polisci department is UChicago, which is way, way too expensive). Furthermore, if I stay in Missouri to go to school, I may be able to go to free based on my grades and the Bright Flight program, since my ACT score is high. This would allow me all the money my parents and I have saved to be put towards recording. Which I wouldn't mind obviously, but I'd much rather be in Chicago.

i know this was ridiculously long, but I'd really love anyone with more experience than myself (aka everyone) to give me any advice you may have. thank you, really.

-kasey

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:13 pm

there's a funny thing about doing what you really love - its takes over and finds a way to work.

I worked as a recording engineer until the moment I didn't love every day I went into the studio. So I stopped doing it for a living.

And I went on to having more fun recording music than ever before.

But I've completely changed courses, I'm now a husband, father, work for a hedge fund, blah blah blah. The loves of my life have mutiplied, not contracted. the difficulty is now finding time for them all. My point - at least what worked for me - Go do something of VALUE to the world. Recording is generally not a valued art, sad as it may be. That said, there are many ways to record music without it being your focus.

Good luck to you.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:48 pm

i dropped out of high school- i was playing and recording for a living.
i went to university and accidently majored in sociology- while i was playing and recording for a living.
i did my masters in music-- while i was playing and recording for a living and still enjoying it, touring, all that.
i did my phd in music-- while i was playing and recording for a living and really loving doing it.
i'm now in law school, have a family and-- i'm playing and recording for a living.

you can do more than 1 thing at a time and do it well and still love doing them all. get as much education as you can- formally or informally- it's a great way to make a killing and do what you want to do.
drew

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:26 pm

The fact that this whole line of thought is a reaction to something your father said should be a big RED FLAG. If this all made perfect sense to you would you be asking what to do on an internet forum? Go with your heart.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 pm

Yes but believe me, I never listen to what my dad says... The fact that I took what he said as something worth considering says a lot about what he said, and my personal stance.

thank you everyone for your words of wisdom.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Two things:

You're 17. Chill out. You will learn that opportunities usually present themselves, not necessarily you finding them. You'll know what's right for you. You're already more motivated than most of us were at 25.

Second. Politics. Financial security. Huh? Go work for a political campaign, and you will understand how underpaid and unsecure political work is. If you're working for progressive causes, forget about pay. You'll actually could earn more being a recording engineer than being a political operative.

Having done some of both, I would definitely go into recording. My 25 cents.

KFledman
ass engineer

Post by KFledman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:46 pm

i would say go for a decent 4 year education in something other than recording.....and, keep doing your recording on whatever free time you may have....
you may be lucky enough to fall in love a few times during your years in college and i think you're better off finding someone who isn't all about music and recording to share your life with.....maybe make some friends who are outside of the recording community.......

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:09 pm

I don't offer any answers, just some insight...

I grew up with my dad recording his bands at our house (he had a pretty great studio, too!); he even released his own records. So I've always loved twiddlin' with knobs & microphones & whatnot. I actually went to school for recording at UMass Lowell, but dropped out after three semesters, only because there was a WORLD of things I had to figure out before I committed myself to any one thing...

I was a pretty mentally & emotionally unstable person from about 14 to my early 20s; music at times helped with my stability, and at other times contributed to my unhappiness. But, in my search for health & wellbeing, I got really into food, and did all sorts of food-related work, from farming, to cooking, to dishwashing, to reading a lot of extremist-type political views on food. I'm 26 now, and my time spent with food has found me in a job that is a LOT of fun, is SUPER challenging, is an honor to be part of, and pays me ridiculously well (I'm working for a "famous chef" here in Boston). Meanwhile, over the years, I kept up with the 4-tracking and recording in other studios whenever the time was right, from periods of much activity, to periods of none...

Now I'm making enough money that I'm able to take this recording more seriously; I've learned more in the last year-and-a-half, just by doing it (and reading Tape Op!), then ever before, and in the fall I'll be taking out a fairly large loan to try and get a "real" studio off the ground. And I'm excited, because I'm in no way burned out with this food thing; I can continue to work there for a while, making good money, paying off any debt I incur while trying to get a studio going.

I guess the point is this: follow your heart (or I like to think of it as a magnet in my belly). It took me all over the place: from heartbreaking relationships, to drugs, to the pacific northwest, to farming in Italy & Costa Rica, to Ralph Nader rallies, and, quite frequently, to recording bands in basements. I'm happy & thankful to be alive, to have a healthy working body & mind, and to have my own stability; and I get such a genuine sense of gratitude and humbleness when some musician I don't even know will show up and feel comfortable enough around me to open up with his or her creativity, and to let me try to capture it!

Then the flipside: a buddy of mine from college stayed with the recording program, and he was there recording Q-Tip & Lateef vocal tracks for the last DJ Shadow record! Yep, I'm envious of his recordings. But you know what? He's also really into food, and he's envious of what I've gotten to experience...

Like the other guy said, chill out: you're only 17. You've got a looooooong road until you're 26, and I've got a feeling that 26 ain't nuthin' compared to 36...

Good luck.
Alex C. McKenzie

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:37 pm

I think it's a good idea to get a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and there's no better time to do that than right after you get out of high school.

Most of the people I know have jobs that have nothing to do with their bachelor's degrees.

So I suggest getting a bachelor's degree in something you would enjoy studying for four years (or something you would least dislike studying). It almost doesn't matter what. Then when you're done, continue with whatever career path you were on anyway.

Todd Wilcox

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:25 am

Thanks. Yea I realize I'm making a bigger deal out of this than need be, it's just sort of alarming to really think you have a set plan and suddenly you realize it's not so set, and maybe not the best choice all along.
Second. Politics. Financial security. Huh? Go work for a political campaign, and you will understand how underpaid and unsecure political work is. If you're working for progressive causes, forget about pay. You'll actually could earn more being a recording engineer than being a political operative.
I don't really intend to go into campaign work. I'm mostly interested in international affairs. I think it'd be awesome to work with the UN or EU or any one of many of these international organizations. I imagine they are about to become more important in coming years, as globalization and technology continue to make the world a smaller place. (K maybe not the UN, but... anyways.)

Even outside of this, I'd imagine a degree in polisci will allow a few more doors to open than a degree in recording... but of course I could be wrong.

Thank you everyone for you input, I appreciate it a lot.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:17 am

I would not put too much stock in what "Columbia College or the Chicago recording scene have to offer." Go to a university (4 year), get a degree in anything, and continue your recording passion. You'll be more valuable anywhere with this combination.

Use your time in school, which is basically time to explore anything you want with no consequences, to work your way into the radio station, School of Music's recording studio, and other audio related offerings. If it's not for you you can drop out, and then at least you tried it. It is at least a good place to meet girls if anything.
I know that I don't need to go to recording school to be a recording engineer.
True. I think, however, you will find that many successful engineers do have a college degree in some field.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:46 am

I studied music and recording at the University of North Carolina Asheville. after i graduated in 1998, I spent yrs trying to break into a major studio. All jobs were intern-only. I actually tried the intern-only job at Indrie Studios here in Philly, which was a joke. I worked in live sound, as a house recording engineer for a message and music on hold company, for Sam Ash and Music123 for a while. The best of these jobs was for Music123, as I made a "decent living" ($33K) doing phone sales, got tons of free software, discounts, toured the Gibson plant in Nashville, and had time to record.

I changed careers in the last year (I'm now 34). I have been working as a graphic designer for a small publishing company. I make more money, have 17 days paid vacation a year, and I honestly really enjoy the work. I am self-taught. I still record a lot, and the past year will see the most work that I have ever done see the light of day.

Though I like my current career path, if I was in your shoes I would consider the fact that the recording industry is going through a major change right now. You can go to school for something else that interests you, or double-major or major and minor, and come out with a good job and still be able to record. A good job will afford you good gear, and a nice house to build a studio.

Jeff

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:52 am

Yea, and I would add that if you're dead set on going to college, go for a liberal arts degree; I can count on one hand the number of friends I have who are now working in a field that is related to their college degree!
Alex C. McKenzie

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:06 am

I definitely want to go to college, there's no doubt about that.

It's interesting, on here there seems to be a few more people suggesting I go to school for recording than in the other 'recording school' threads would suggest.

I think a large part of this is more missing the environment of Chicago than the degree in recording at this point. eh. I know I need to just meditate and figure this out for myself.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:23 am

Also, if you were trying to create a balance between recording and a different college major, Portland, OR, would be a great place. Cost of living is dirt cheap (and that's if you're sharing a really nice house with a couple of people!), everyone you meet is a basement musician just waiting to have their stuff recorded, and the city is so liveable that you can easily pursue other interests as well. You could go to PSU, have excellent public transit to and from school, and in the meantime, record local bands in your basement with very little difficulty.

Plus, somehow, every single piece of gear you're trying to acquire will only cost you $50 in Portland, OR. I think it's some sort of law or something...
Alex C. McKenzie