Drum Overhead for that Pat Benatar/Merle Haggard sound.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eb.
ass engineer

Drum Overhead for that Pat Benatar/Merle Haggard sound.

Post by eb. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:02 pm

I've caught shlag before for not reading up on previous posts, but I searched, and I searched, and I didn't find much. Someone will be posting a link of the exact same discussion, and I don't know how anyone can find anything on this thing.

1. I'm in the mood to buy a couple of mics.
2. I'm pretty into Audio-Technica as a company, cost/components. I am really considering getting a 4047 for vocals/acoustic/vulcan harmonies. Any thoughts on the use of this mic for a drum overhead? Any thoughts on preferences between the 4060 (tube) and the 4067?
3. What do y'all use for overhead (mono) drum mics in the $100-1500 range? and what kind of music do you primarily use that specific mic on? I'm not trying for a stereo mic/pair, and I generally record rock music, more springsteen, less mastodon, but any suggestions for that mastodon sound would be appreciated as well.
4. I have used the 414B twice now, and I wasn't that enthusiastic about it.
5. I won't be answering any follow up questions, as I'll be out for a bit, so if you make fun of me too much, just know, you will get yours in the afterlife, as I cannot now defend myself on the interlife.
6. I'm willing to buy ebay, or new, but if there are any concerns/horror stories about shipping or buying used for a specific brand/model please post those.
7. The topic thread title is my attempt at humor, just to be clear that I don't think those two are like Forrest and Jenny.

Thank Y'all Kindly.
"Tell me what we?re fighting for?
No progress ever came from war,
only a false sense of increase" G-Graffin

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:52 pm

AT 40 series is great. I've used 4047 (mono and stereo) for drum OH and it's cool.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:49 am

no idea offhand, but wow, what an awesome thread title.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:06 am

I don't think you tried very hard to search.

Search on 4047 and overhead, and you get a couple of dozen topics. Here are the most relevant threads.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 7+overhead

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 7+overhead

Search on "4047", and you can get more info.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:19 pm

drumsound wrote:AT 40 series is great. I've used 4047 (mono and stereo) for drum OH and it's cool.
I think that would probably be closer to a Stevie Nicks/Waylon Jennings sound rather than a Pat Benatar/Merle Haggard sound.

eb.
ass engineer

I never try.

Post by eb. » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:47 am

When I get lonely I try different search combinations, and I never get frustrated. I have a robot brain.

#3 is still up for grabs.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:14 am

#3: lately i've been using a mismatched pair of LDCs - a C4000 and an AT 3035 in glyn johns stylee for OHs. The 3035 is a fair mic, i'm happy with it ride-side of the kit and happy over all with my drum sound with a 57 on the shell of the snare and ATM25 on kick.

Before that i was using a pair of Oktava MK012s as OHs, too thin for my tastes.

I don't hit silly hard and with the set-up i have a get a decent close-ish traditional sound, not roomy like the Bonham thing and not close like Collins, it sounds like a kit in a room but a close-ish. This stuff is hard to explain. I think the sound would suit some early Springsteen stuff. It work well where you're going to be leaving some space inthe mix, it'd get swamped by a wall of guitars.

A pair of LDCs might serve you well.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:55 am

Man, I really wish that there WAS a Pat Benetar/Merle Haggard sound. I think that would be pretty wonderful. Just the idea reminds me of the Roger Miller/Giorgio Moroder song on the Superman III soundtrack, which I consider to the the pinnacle of human musical constructs.