Gearing up for a new recording project in DC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

echobloom
audio school

Gearing up for a new recording project in DC

Post by echobloom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Greetings all -

After a year-long hiatus, I'm getting ready to begin another recording project and am looking for some advice on the most appropriate gear. The overall theory of the new project is to post acoustic guitar/voice demos onto a blog (along with other relevant material). Once all of the planned songs have been written and demo'd, I'll hop into the studio and do final recordings of everything. The blog will serve as a public face for the project, and a way to both gain momentum and recruit folks for helping out on the studio recording.

For convenience and workflow I figured the ideal way would be to build a small recording setup for my bedroom. As the recordings will be specifically labeled as demos when they're posted, I don't think I'll get lynched if the quality isn't fantastic - but I want to make sure I provide the best quality that is reasonably convenient. I've been casually looking into Oktava mods for microphones, and maybe a Reflexion Filter for cutting out some of the ambient noise. I would love any advice on some fun solutions for getting something like this accomplished - respond or PM me! And if anybody in the DC area is interested in getting together and talking about some of this stuff, I'd love to buy you dinner.

Thanks -
Kyle