My first tape machine... now what??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gabe
audio school graduate

My first tape machine... now what??

Post by Gabe » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:33 am

Hey everyone,

i've been recording for a few years mostly in the digital realm (most recently with m-audio's projectmix) but for some reason i really felt like i needed to discover my roots and figure out how to record in analog. after some research and finding a good deal, i picked up a Teac 80-8 with the remote and DX-8 NR .

So now i would like to set everything up but am trying to figure out what tools i need for calibration, alignment, etc. Do i need an MRL tape? A demagnetizer? Oscillator test tone for calibrating?

Also, where can i bring my machine to get it tuned-up and ready for action? i'm in the Philadelphia area so i can travel to Jersey or New York easily.

Started recording with a 001 when i was in high school so the analog world is a new way of thinking. I like the idea of the limitations and being forced to work in the bounds of the machine, but i just want to get off on the right foot with it all. I would really appreciate and suggestions or guidance on maintenance or anything for that matter.

Thanks so much guys,

Gabe.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:15 am

Hope you love the tape thing...I can't wait to get back to good old fasioned tpae and board recording...You ought to be able to find someone out there to get your machine set up for you...have fun...
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:08 am

I think the biggest thing to overcome when transitioning from digital to tape or vice-versa is ( at least it was for me... :roll: ..)... the difference of the noise floor!.... :evil: ..Good luck!

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:03 am

Congrads..... our blessings are with you.....

You definitely need an MRL tape, oscillator, tweaker, demagger, etc.... my suggestion would be to go to Eddie Ciletti's site, and read all his analog stuff, then go to the MRL site, and read all that stuff....... then get a real tech to align and cal your machine, and take notes and look over his shoulder.......

You should have the heads checked at JRM or some other equivalent. Make sure you've got some life left in them, or you'll be chasing your tail.

After you learn how to set it up, experiment with bias. Then start recording, and remember that recording to tape is completely different than Pro Tools..... you'll find what you prefer..... in my own case, I tend to print bass somewhat low to tape, and the same with kick drums (ususally). I print much hotter to Pro Tools in those cases..... you'll develop a sense of what tape does to various instruments, etc.....

Have fun, but remember that a tape machine NEEDS consistent and diligent upkeep and maintenance to sound proper. You can't set and forget....... that's not the point!

Enjoy dude!!!!