cables and snakes

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pfr
audio school

cables and snakes

Post by pfr » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:40 pm

I'm in the process of setting up my mobile live rig to record my two and three piece acts. I was looking for some short XLR snakes to go between the iso-xformers and the pa and another to go into my interface. i ran accross pulsar tech on a google search. they seem quite economical and boast quality and "pro audio" in their about page. anyone heard of or have any luck with these cables?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:41 am

I've never heard of them, but I'm wondering if they're not getting their stuff from China like Orange County Speaker. They're an Ebay store. I have bought some cables from them, which work fine, but the connectors are a little tight.

I spent less than a minute on Pular's site and I found a typo, so one thing's for sure. You don't want them to build your website.

EDIT: I have spent two minutes on their site and I have had a good chuckle at the expense of their "Artists" page. I know. It's mean.

Roger

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Embracing and extending.. looking for suppliers or ideas..

Post by WillMorgan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 am

I hope i can piggy back on the general subject line in this topic for the benefit of all.

I'm looking to run a snake from my basement recording setup, to my living room directly above because it has a great, wood laden, room sound.

I am thinking i want six channels, a couple to monitor, and four inputs.

I have two questions about snakes for this purpose:

1) Are snakes now or likely soon to start becoming commonly available in combined Mic and 1/4" TRS plugs? I haven't found any with those new sort of connectors and for space saving it seems like those would give me some flexibility to use any channel as either a headphone jack return or a mic input.

2) Could I order up a 25' snake with a slim connector in the middle that i could use to feed through a narrow hole drilled in my floor? The living room woodwork is 90 years old and I'm no carpenter so it's either buying a two part snake with a slim (DB25?) connector i could feed through a smallish hole or doing the soldering myself on at least one side and making it permanent.

I'm guessing a connector half way through might screw up the shielding and/ or cause reflections but it sure would be nice to plug and play this way.

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:26 pm

I still continue to recomment HotwiredCables for any quality custom snake, patch or mic cables.
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

Phiz
buyin' gear

Re: Embracing and extending.. looking for suppliers or ideas

Post by Phiz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:58 pm

WillMorgan wrote: I'm guessing a connector half way through might screw up the shielding and/ or cause reflections but it sure would be nice to plug and play this way.
At audio frequencies and lengths of 100s of feet or less, you will not have a problem with a mid-point connector. If you were putting radio frequency signals on the wire, then you'd need to worry about such issues.

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks Phiz for the word on reflections. I am seeing pre-built snakes with either TRS to DB-25 or Mic to DB-25 so i'm thinking i could get a couple of those and a coupler to do the job!